+ Reply to Thread

Thread: are sex offender lists a good idea if people use them as a dating service?

and your little dog too

Default are sex offender lists a good idea if people use them as a dating service?

from reuters

Californian trolled sex offender list for dates

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A convicted child molester used a public database of California sex criminals to solicit men for sex, in what police said on Friday was the first case of its kind.
    They said Glen Westberg, 35, wrote letters seeking dates to several other offenders listed on an official state Internet site. The data, assembled under the U.S. "Megan's Law" to protect children from sexual predators, is intended to warn citizens of potential nearby threats.

The Internet site came online in California in December. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a law in September allowing its creation.

"He viewed the probationer's photograph, thought he was cute, noticed that his commitment offense was the same as his and at that time asked if they would like to hook up," said Bill Ahern, commander of San Mateo County's Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement task force.

One of the contacted men told police. Law enforcement officials sent an agent who resembled the targeted man to meet Westberg at a coffee shop in Redwood City, south of San Francisco.

Police confronted Westberg, who had shown up 30 minutes early for the rendezvous. He confessed that he had contacted several men in violation of his probation conditions, Ahern said.

Police arrested Westberg, a shipping clerk at a San Jose mall, on Thursday; he faces up to six months in prison if convicted.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Default Re: are sex offender lists a good idea if people use them as a dating service?

better them getting together then taking advantage of small children....

Default Re: are sex offender lists a good idea if people use them as a dating service?

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    better them getting together then taking advantage of small children....
    You took the words right out of my mouth...

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

The lists are good for identifying and preventing child molesters from getting jobs around children. I guess the danger here is if they started getting together *to* hunt down kids. Still, I believe the benefits of destroying these fucktards lives outweighs that risk. Child Molesters must be TERMINATED.

OEC

Mother Superior

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    The lists are good for identifying and preventing child molesters from getting jobs around children. I guess the danger here is if they started getting together *to* hunt down kids. Still, I believe the benefits of destroying these fucktards lives outweighs that risk. Child Molesters must be TERMINATED.

OEC
    Oh you know that has happened. A molester gets together with a person just to get at their children. They can't stop themselves. They need to be destroyed.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I have no respect for rapists and molesters. I agree they must all be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    Oh you know that has happened. A molester gets together with a person just to get at their children. They can't stop themselves. They need to be destroyed.
    Those lists are good for destroying the molesters lives tho too. Everyone can find out who the *********s in their neighborhood are. Quite a few have taken themselves out since Megan's Law came out.

OEC

what needs to be done is more invovlment in the earley years of disturbed children, preventitive social control of children who show signs of un accpetable social intercourse....most of these people come from extremely fucked up families mix that with a fucked up society that is running at Mach 9 and that's what happens...and with no proper audjusting mediator such as maybe a family member who is normal it goes unchecked and that's what happens we should all be terminated then for our lack of self realizeation and inabilty to look actively and realistically upon our society we love to create a mess and deal with it adbruptley yet let the real monster, bad parenting and an unaware society continue on it will never stop. I wonder how many child molesters would have not been with proper counselling and the removal from a harmful enviroment at a young age? when the first signs were noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    what needs to be done is more invovlment in the earley years of disturbed children, preventitive social control of children who show signs of un accpetable social intercourse....most of these people come from extremely fucked up families mix that with a fucked up society that is running at Mach 9 and that's what happens...and with no proper audjusting mediator such as maybe a family member who is normal it goes unchecked and that's what happens we should all be terminated then for our lack of self realizeation and inabilty to look actively and realistically upon our society we love to create a mess and deal with it adbruptley yet let the real monster, bad parenting and an unaware society continue on it will never stop. I wonder how many child molesters would have not been with proper counselling and the removal from a harmful enviroment at a young age? when the first signs were noticed?
    I believe in individual responsibility. Yes, more should be done about bad parenting etc. I had to live thru the horror of my friend's cousin Polly Klaas being ***** and killed. She was taken from her home and discarded like garbage while we looked for her. You are free to terminate yourself if you feel your lack of self-realization has contributed to this problem. I, however, will continue to fight it given the circumstances which already exist. I have absolutely no sympathy for people who molest. I do not believe there are *any* excuses. You do what you need to do, but if you fail they need to be terminated. It is pathetic for you to blame society. Some people are just monsters.

OEC

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

what is this world comming to?

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

well but its a difficult issue. Molesting children is obviously wrong and the punishment should be the highest possible short of capital.

I must say though that i do have a problem when offenders are demonised in the media and tabloids as 'monsters' and such.

Its an easy game to play and helps us all avoid the more difficult questions. In general i find tabloids repulsive in their treatment of sex offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    well but its a difficult issue. Molesting children is obviously wrong and the punishment should be the highest possible short of capital.

I must say though that i do have a problem when offenders are demonised in the media and tabloids as 'monsters' and such.

Its an easy game to play and helps us all avoid the more difficult questions. In general i find tabloids repulsive in their treatment of sex offenders.
    I think "monsters" is an apt term for those who **** and kill 12 year olds. It would be a different story if it was a 19 and 17 year old having consensual sex. I simply don't buy the argument that society is responsible for child molesters.

OEC

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

I think "monsters" is an apt term for those who **** and kill 12 year olds. It would be a different story if it was a 19 and 17 year old having consensual sex. I simply don't buy the argument that society is responsible for child molesters.

OEC
    neither do i. that wasn't what i was saying. but there are psychological and social questions to be evaluated.

a tabloid's branding of a sex offender as a 'monster' is just a lazy way of addressing the problem. I think it points to our own ignorance more than the problem of paedophilia and that was hardly the point was it?

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    neither do i. that wasn't what i was saying. but there are psychological and social questions to be evaluated.

a tabloid's branding of a sex offender as a 'monster' is just a lazy way of addressing the problem. I think it points to our own ignorance more than the problem of paedophilia and that was hardly the point was it?
    Again, it would depend on the specific incident. I would agree that some are demonized just for having an underage girlfriend. Sex offender lists are primarily composed of egregious and repeat child molesters, however. The more innocuous cases tend to be plea bargained down to a misdemeanor. It is rare for a list to include any but the most despicable offenders. I do see it as the point in the context Karyn brought it up.

OEC

This is now OT, but here are a few good resources to organizations that try to prevent abuse

http://www.prevent-abuse-now.com/

The success rate in "curing" child molesters is incredibly low. The recidivism rate is believed to exceed 90%. Generally speaking, you are dealing with people who simply cannot control themselves. A lot of social and psychological factors may go into the need to abuse, but in many cases there is no apparent cause. I believe they need to be dealt with harshly and permanently.

http://www.predator-hunter.com/index1.htm

http://cpiu.us/

http://www.klaaskids.org

http://www.pollyklaas.org

I could post many, many more. These are the folks that stop the suckers dead in their tracks I support or belong to a number of such organizations. We get justice after all else fails. I'll leave it there as this subject enrages me and I have again surpassed my non-Blue Blood quota for the day.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

OEC
    Presumably anyone who is caught for ****ing and killing a twelve-year-old is behind bars for eternity, possibly with a lethal injection to look forward to, and not just on an offender list.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Presumably anyone who is caught for ****ing and killing a twelve-year-old is behind bars for eternity, possibly with a lethal injection to look forward to, and not just on an offender list.
    True. I was arguing the term "monster" to be applicable in those cases. 23 clarified that he did not mean otherwise in such cases. I know that Richard Allan Davis continues to draw breath, which to me is a travesty. Luckily, he will never see daylight again. I would still argue that the laws regarding *true* child molesters overall are too lax. 3 strikes is 2 too many

OEC

This is now OT, but here are a few good resources to organizations that try to prevent abuse

The success rate in "curing" child molesters is incredibly low. The recidivism rate is believed to exceed 90%. Generally speaking, you are dealing with people who simply cannot control themselves. A lot of social and psychological factors may go into the need to abuse, but in many cases there is no apparent cause. I believe they need to be dealt with harshly and permanently.

http://www.predator-hunter.com/index1.htm

http://cpiu.us/

http://www.klaaskids.org

http://www.pollyklaas.org

I could post many, many more. These are the folks that stop the suckers dead in their tracks I support or belong to a number of such organizations. We get justice after all else fails. I'll leave it there as this subject enrages me and I have again surpassed my non-Blue Blood quota for the day.

OEC

I actually think that giving individuals the mental tools to not attack children before harm is done . . . well, I think, as a society, a lot more effort could be put into this, including especially better counseling for survivors of abuse.

I don't want every thread here to become downbeat, but discussing important issues is just fine. And fighting for what is righteous is a very Blue Blood thing to do. Not non-Blue Blood at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I actually think that giving individuals the mental tools to not attack children before harm is done . . . well, I think, as a society, a lot more effort could be put into this, including especially better counseling for survivors of abuse.

I don't want every thread here to become downbeat, but discussing important issues is just fine. And fighting for what is righteous is a very Blue Blood thing to do. Not non-Blue Blood at all.
    Cool. I should give full disclosure by saying that my primary interest is in destroying the child molesters that already exist. I am interested in preventative programs, but due to my personal experience my strength lies in dealing with what is as opposed to what should be.

OEC

OEC I respect your honest and true feelings epesically when they come so close to the bone. I was not saying "for shame lets us not judges lest us be judges ourselves"...may it though have come to materialize as such, my writting skills, I admit are not the best, and often my ideas mistrude becasue of it. If anything I was saying that there is no good of the situation because of the lack of concern for all humans and the fact that it's is better to nip the bud young then let it grow to an situation that causes such pain as you have suffered. I do not neglect your emotions for we are human but I do fear when human emotion rules judgement without being checked and tempered. For becasue of your bared emotions of such a tragedy you ahve every right to be angered. But form that anger into positive energy, there is nothing to be done with the Sexual offenders of today for their unchecked abnormailites are completely manifested and no counselling can change their perversity and heinous actions. But maybe we should realize that all humans contain such abilites for nature and all of it's charges can be of the most vile beast even a young child can be an evil monster full of the most unthinkable ideas and with out being checked can ferment into sickening acts. For the Truth is OEC and all that humans can become good through good inetrcourse with society or evil through negative interaction with become a depravity feasting on it's own unchecked ideals and beliefs. Therefore we MUST become more disciplined in our thoughts and minds. We must Think about what we do to one another and even more importanley how we act in they eyes of the young and moldable and if we are to bring young lives into this world should we not give these youg lives all the knowlegde and positivity available? In other words if your fucked in the head and have numeruus issues unsettled would it be best not to bring a child into the sitaution. I am for one very much of the beliefe that before a person can havea child they should be run through a thourough Phsycological and social examination. I truly belive for every one truly good parent there are three that are not.I also believe if we truly cared about our species we would also use all pregnanys prevention available and it should be free. Also we must come to realize at our true core that we at a certain age need sexaul affection that is normal and not wrong and that becasue of this we can reduce the amount of children being born in difficult sitautions and instead of ever hearing of children being a hassle or unwanted that all children born are born into hearts and minds fully ready and prepared to give these children the utmost love attention and education. through that I believe much of what is wrong could be righted but we must realize that to do so is not an easy nore simple task and that much of the way we think, or better yet the lack of thinking, must be done away with. Higher goals must be achived in our own minds and the abilty to assert others who may not think it possible to achive the utmost out of thier lives also. Good Day Sir!

I hear what you are saying, I simply disagree on certain points. Obviously, we have to do better regarding the kids in difficult situations

OEC

why kill them... It will be to easy.... I say let's castrate them firsth, and then... some another cruel punishment to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    why kill them... It will be to easy.... I say let's castrate them firsth, and then... some another cruel punishment to live with.
    For a while, there was some advocation of chemical castration, but studies have not shown castration to decrease incidence of abuse. Just changes what might be inserted.

...make them blind?

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    ...make them blind?
    Nah, I think that should only be for people who poke out other people's eyes.

no sporking allowed! oi you there!

+ Reply to Thread