+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rpg Preferences For your Characters? **

Default Rpg Preferences For your Characters? **

What stuff do you prefer in RPGs for your Characters?

Here is mine:

Race: Elf of some sort

Weapons: Either Long Blades or Blunt Weapons, LongBows and CrossBows, (The Blades either being Twin Blade or Sword and Shield Combos)

Alignment: Chaotic Nuetral: Im still not sure what I am , so I just do whatever, since I have difficulty deciding.

Favored Attributes: Strength and Dexterity.

Class: Fighter/Mage/Thief

Favorite Spell Types: Enchanting, Healing, and Summoning. ( Summoning in case the character needs help, or to kill the summons and then loot their corpses.)

Some other skills: Armour and Weapon Making and Repair.

Other Skills and stuff: *Shrugs*

Default Re: Rpg Preferences For your Characters? **

Tabletop or...?

Race: I prefer being an Elf of a Halfling, but in D&D sometimes I play a human, just because they get an extra feat.

Weapons: Whatever comes natural to the race, really. Staves, scimitars, daggers, ...one time, when I was playing a human cleric, I had a sledgehammer, that was fun.

Alignment: Normally True Neutral or Lawful Neutral. I prefer to be an impassive judge...or just make sure no one bothers me and I don't bother them.

Favored Attributes: Wisdom and Dexterity.

Class: Thief/Mage/Druid

Favorite Spell Types: Necromancy. Or, in D&D, when you become an assassin prestige, you get assassin spells.

Some other skills: I prefer to roleplay alot of my characters in the artisan skills. Most of my monks read alot, so they know alot about everything, and normally make their knowledge checks. My fighters tend to do something ironic, like pottery or painting. I had one druid that did ice sculptures (and I actually got to play that out!)

Other Skills and stuff: Hrm. I once had a druid incarnate that could turn into any animal or biped. She was hot stuff (as an avarial elf.)

...so.......I'm a huge nerd.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

I like demons, Vamps, lupine, bastet, wraiths, and fae/elves....i just love mystical and dark when rping.....!

Ichigo's Avatar Senior Member

Race: just a plain old human

weapons: Long or short bow, dagger, flail

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, it's also usually hard for me to decide on this. I think for my latest character, I'm going to have him go gradually evil.

Attributes: Strength and dexterity

Class: Fighter, Ranger

Favorite Spell Types: Healing

elf or elf/human sorcerer....
    hard in beggining but pretty cool later

alignment never played big role for me

weapon... anything good for trowing.... bastardsword's in both hands when i'm playing with fighters of some sort

I say let's make a BB clan and chose something we all like, and play a litlle bit.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

For me the purpose of RPing is to be something I can't be in real life, so I tend not to choose a human. I'm up for anything... but I tend to like the ones that can either be a warrior and use some magic. I'm warcrafting now and I've been playing mostly Horde, however I would like to dally in the Alliance once I get my new comp (of which immensely excites me!!).

Orcs, trolls, elves, whatever are nice... anything really small is just not going to happen. So no gnomes for me.

Magic: the bloodier the better. There's this thing called "rend" that I like in WoW... makes the creep burst out in a shower of blood.

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Race: Always elf...I like Drow..I'm willing to do half-elf sometimes

Weapons: Dagger (because I love the whole seduce then assasinate approach), or Staff for fighting the hordes!

Alignment: Typically neutral evil....I had a lawful good character once, and my god seriously punished me for fighting off some guards when they were attacking my party...real bummer!

Favorite Attributes: Dexterity and Charisma

Class: Theif/Assassin

Languages are a big thing for my characters....it's great to learn obscure languages in order to communicate with monsters...

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I tend to stick to old school world of darkness either werewolf or vampire as a vampire i prefer to be a Malkavian as a werewolf i usually play a Black Spiral Dancer

Howrangi's Avatar So how old are you again?

I have a half celestial because he is an Exotic character class.

Male of course but I would like to get a female character.

He uses a broad sword and his psionics ( those are cool)

and usually i play him as a forward attacking slasher.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I used to like to run multiclass characters i.e. illustionist/assassin because I'm inclined to wear a lot of hats.

I went through a phase where I was really into running lawful alignment characters because it was more interesting to me to have them make decisions according to a code, rather than randomly based on what was expedient at that moment.

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

If your DM will allow it CHANGLING!

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    I tend to stick to old school world of darkness either werewolf or vampire as a vampire i prefer to be a Malkavian as a werewolf i usually play a Black Spiral Dancer
    That's funny... Me too. I've even played a BSD/Malk Abomination before (you need to see the GM to play one since they can be really hard!) That was fun!

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Race: Half-elf.

Weapons: Crossbow or longbow, longsword, dagger.

Alignment: Chaotic Good - I always do the right thing, but complain about it.

Favored Attributes: Dexterity, Wisdom, Charisma

Class: Ranger, Bard or Thief

Favorite Spells: Healing spells, Fireball

Kevin's Avatar to thine own self be true
    In the O.C. (but not the hoity-toity parts)

Isn't this a nice little blast from the past! And almost - almost! - a year since it was last discussed.

Well, I'm game. Here's my secret confession about my PC preferences:

Human. That's about it.

I certainly used to have the favorite character archetypes (male half-elf wizards were frequently chosen), but having had the opportunity to play in (and run) quite a few long-term games over the past few years, my approach has shifted.

Now, it's all about discovering the person described by the character sheet. A key turning point was this bit of characterization advice from J. Michael Straczynski:

You have to know who your character is, what he wants, how far he will go to get it, and how far someone else will go to stop him. Answer those questions and 90% of the plotting work is done for you.
    So instead of playing "the bard," I was playing Tomasin, a cloistered academic who set out to prove that his dead historian father's laughed-at theories were, in fact, correct;

I wasn't playing "the paladin," I was playing Asif al-Rashid ibn Faruq, holy warrior from a land abroad, devoted servant of The Creator (a monotheistic one-true-god belief in a world where pantheons of gods sometimes walked the lands), and possessed of an uncompromising sense of morality;

Jenya Elise Terym wasn't just a generalist "mage," she was an aggravatingly arrogant planeshifter whose know-it-all genius was made all the more annoying by usually being right.

To bring this back on topic, I choose to play exclusively human characters so that I can play the character, and not a demi-human's racial stereotypes. Too many players have used that stuff as a role-playing crutch. It's not for me.

One of these days I'm going to start up a campaign in which the PCs are all humans, elves and dwarves and gnomes be damned.

My D&D related answers:

Race: Human or 1/2 Elf.

Weapons: I tend to favor exotic or less-used weapons: kukri, blowguns, darts (the thrown kind), bola, etc.

Alignment: Neutral, or Neutral with another component.

Favored Attributes: Intelligence & Dexterity.

Class: I like arcane casters (esp. Conjurers), psionic characters, and anything with Trapfinding.

Favorite Spell Types: I prefer utility spells like Knock and See Invisibility, or combat spells that bypass SR, like Force Orb. Also, anything that allows self healing is keen, especially if it works when you're heavily mutilated (like psionics do).

Some other skills: Search, Open Locks, Disable Device, Alchemy, Craft (Poisonmaking)

Other Skills and stuff: I find it's good to know about or be able to do at least one thing that no one expects of you. This could be as as simple as taking Use Magic Device as a Fighter, and holding it in reserve until some critical moment. Or, it could be having a history that allows you to have a non-standard background for a character of your "type". Keep people guessing.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

I guess I've always had a personal connection with thieves. It's just a class close to my own nature, and it's always easier to play a character you can really understand. "call me paranoid, call me alive" As far as rest goes, I follow the basic rule of .. right tool for the right job. And I prefer any weapon that lets me keep my hiding spot. A crossbow from the shadows will do me just fine (especially one tipped with poison).

Ha! Posting in the same thread I did a year ago! Pwnd.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    Ha! Posting in the same thread I did a year ago! Pwnd.
    A year, ten years, a hundred years. I'm just glad to hear from ya again

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

Well, I prefer to play Werewolf as for games: as for preferences, I don't really have any. I like the Glass Walkers tribe best for Werewolf, but experiment with them all: similarly, while I prefer Wizards in D&D, I've played them about as often as every other class.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Race : grey elf (2000 year lifespan)
    class cleric/ranger
    weapon 2handed sword
    alignment(we dont believe in alignments)

same campaign for 20 years, same character

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

At the moment, we're doing a Call of Cthulhu game, and I'm a police patrolman, in Dunwich, ALONE in a deep dark hole! Being alone in a CoC adventure is never good! Impending dead beckons...

+ Reply to Thread