+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Star Wars Movie

Default New Star Wars Movie

Are you looking forward to the new Star Wars movie?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: New Star Wars Movie

no, let's just pre-release it into the ground along with the other two prequels, and let human history forget this atrocity.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Sure, they're good popcorn eating fun. I don't see them quite a seriously as other film fans do...but then to be honest I never took the originals all that seriously. They are fun...and in the case of these films...that's what I get.

I'm not looking for some sort of life changing cinematic experience...I just want to see stuff explode.

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

Considering everyone will die in this movie I hope it turns out alright. I'm not anti-star wars, but it will be interesting to watch everything falling apart.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

............ I'll see it. Episode 2 was a fun time at the theater. So Episode 3 might be worth the ticket and popcorn.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

The flaw they hit hard with the new series was how lame Jedi's are. They tried so hard to capture that samurai/warrior monk vibe that they instead made them overly...wimpy. They feel more like those overly strict teachers you hated growing up.

It feels odd to wanting to see the Jedi die as gruesome a death as possible. They just don't come off all that impressive and cool like the first series and books.

I will admit that the Clone Wars shorts on the Cartoon Network were very impressive, mainly for their tone. Seeing a jedi cry like a little kid with a scrapped knee and watching a half dozen brutally killed by the new bad guy for the series was quite cool...more so when he kills them with their own light sabers.

I wanna see it..... a lot. :P May 18th, right? Or was that May 8th...

I dunno, I'm easily amused.... oh look... a butterfly... in my basement?! In winter?!?! What the crap!?

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    It feels odd to wanting to see the Jedi die as gruesome a death as possible.

Maybe Mr Lucas is trying to generate sympathy for Anakin Skywalker's position. "I had to kill them all. they were lame."

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    Maybe Mr Lucas is trying to generate sympathy for Anakin Skywalker's position. "I had to kill them all. they were lame."
    Makes sense to me.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

yep i actually really liked episode two i thought in some ways it was better than Return of the Jedi

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    yep i actually really liked episode two i thought in some ways it was better than Return of the Jedi
    Dangerous territory friend. lol
    My only real problem with the prequels is they are too.. flowery.
    In Eps 4-6 the Galaxy is a corrupt and poverty stricken place.
    The spaceships, clothes, and even atmosphere is much dimmer.

In the prequels JEDI the 'elite peace keepers' of the galaxy are far too many in number. It's like a bad Star Wars game where EVERYONE is a Jedi.

Not only that, but Lucas is taking the high points from the old movies and putting them in the new ones. Like the epic Space battle against the Deathstar (now replaced with the 'epic' battle against the droid control ship that Anakin destroy by.. ACCIDENT?)

I love the originals. The new ones are just people in cool costumes showing off with lightsabers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken
    Dangerous territory friend. lol
    My only real problem with the prequels is they are too.. flowery.
    In Eps 4-6 the Galaxy is a corrupt and poverty stricken place.
    The spaceships, clothes, and even atmosphere is much dimmer.

In the prequels JEDI the 'elite peace keepers' of the galaxy are far too many in number. It's like a bad Star Wars game where EVERYONE is a Jedi.

Not only that, but Lucas is taking the high points from the old movies and putting them in the new ones. Like the epic Space battle against the Deathstar (now replaced with the 'epic' battle against the droid control ship that Anakin destroy by.. ACCIDENT?)

I love the originals. The new ones are just people in cool costumes showing off with lightsabers.
    Of course they are kind of flowery the galaxy of star wars was supposed to be all flowery before the rise of the empire thats what george lucas is trying to demonstrate how corruption turns something that is really nice and flowery to something that is dark and evil I knoew the movies were going to be like that before they came out im dont get why everyone was so dissapointed although the episode one ruly did suck because i think lucas was aiming towards a more kid freindly movie but i think he realized how that backfired

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

hmm...starwhat?

episode two was great.

the 3rd episode is supposed to get a pg-13 rating.
    thats a first. it's going to be a lot darker than the other films...
    can't wait......

az

Dark Z's Avatar Anime or Guns? Hmmm......

I was a total starwars geek...

Until they released "The Phantom Menace"

(Though I still love Lucas Arts' games (Knights of the Old Republic has a better story than any of the prequels so far.... and as an aside, just because there's backstory to the characters doesn't mean you need to explore it in prequels, when flashbacks/ mysterious discovery are MUCH more effective.

I think that when film classes look back on George Lucas, they'll consider the prequels to have been a mistake.

From now on, when some kid sees the series for the first time, there won't be any shock when Vader tells Luke that HE is luke's father.

bleh. the first two prequels aren't that good from a story/character perspective, and what's worse is that they destroy the flow/climactic moments of the later movies. (and I was so excited when the consept of prequels was announced.... fool that I was.)

sorry to go geek here, but those movies fuck up the continuity... if boba fett was like 9 years old when anakin was a teenager, then that would make him in his fifties in the later star wars movies, now I can buy a bad ass old jedi like obiwan, but I just don't see a senior citizen bounty hunter (according to the books he's actaully around 70 or 80 at the time, but he's not a human, so his species lives to be like 200 years old.) furthermore, if he hates the jedi and anakin skywalker for killing his father, then why would he work for him later on as vader? and even in the highly unlikely situation that no one except obi wan and the emperor knows that vader is anakin, why would he not recognize the name skywalker when he encounters luke and not try to kill him?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    sorry to go geek here, but those movies fuck up the continuity... if boba fett was like 9 years old when anakin was a teenager, then that would make him in his fifties in the later star wars movies, now I can buy a bad ass old jedi like obiwan, but I just don't see a senior citizen bounty hunter (according to the books he's actaully around 70 or 80 at the time, but he's not a human, so his species lives to be like 200 years old.) furthermore, if he hates the jedi and anakin skywalker for killing his father, then why would he work for him later on as vader? and even in the highly unlikely situation that no one except obi wan and the emperor knows that vader is anakin, why would he not recognize the name skywalker when he encounters luke and not try to kill him?
    He doesnt try to kill vader because that would be stupid he knows vader would slaughter him very quickly and he works for him because he is a bounty hunter and thats what he gets paid to do also he doesnt try to kill luke because vader wants him alive and we all know what happens when you defy darth vader (unless you are a powerful jedi of course)

eh the whole thing is stupid anyways. george lucas is an asshole, the way it was in the books was so much cooler than in the movies, it just seems stupid to me that lucas would official license star wars books with one storyline to be the official versions (there were actually like three books that someone wrote that changed the story line and lucas didn't endorse them to be part of the official continuity) and then make movies that totally change the way the story was previously told.

and they don't even make sense with the other movies. that was just an example with an obscure character that most people don't even know about, but how do you explain that in the original movies obiwan said his jedi teacher was yoda, and then in the first movie his master is liam neasan? and then in the last movie when luke talks about his mother he doesn't know anything about her and leia hardly remembers her, and then when he talks to obiwan about vader being his father, he neglects to tell him anything about his mother? in the prequels obiwan knows luke's mom very well, so why would he then not tell him about her later? that doesn't make any sense.

thats true of course it is to be expected because when the origianals were made george lucas had no idea of making a prequel and he had to add other charachters and change things to make the movies work as well as possible i just wish he would have stuck with more of the stuff in the books instead of ignoring most of them completely

I think he shoulda not waited thirty years and made the last three movies instead of the first three. that woulda been awesome.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

All I want is a CG sequal to the original trilogy with the original actors lending their voices...but only if it's written by the writers doing the KotOR games.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I think he shoulda not waited thirty years and made the last three movies instead of the first three. that woulda been awesome.
    probably but he wanted to wait untill the effects got better and whatnot if he made a sequel anybody who reads the novels would probably horribly disapointed as he tends to completely disregard them

yeah, the only solution is that we must kill him and destroy all THX sound systems.

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    Of course they are kind of flowery the galaxy of star wars was supposed to be all flowery before the rise of the empire thats what george lucas is trying to demonstrate how corruption turns something that is really nice and flowery to something that is dark and evil I knoew the movies were going to be like that before they came out im dont get why everyone was so dissapointed although the episode one ruly did suck because i think lucas was aiming towards a more kid freindly movie but i think he realized how that backfired
    You can have a Utopia without 15 THOUSAND JEDI running around.
    I'm not saying they can't be puritan and docile, just fewer in number.

+ Reply to Thread