Is Chaos evil?

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Default Re: Thoughts on Chaos.

chaos is necessary,

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Nuada_Airgetlam
    Is Chaos evil?
    Chaos couldn't be evil, or at least it couldn't be any more evil than it is good. Chaos is random and evil has order, much like good. Although, the results of chaos are more likely to be interpreted as evil, mostly because people don't like change.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Chaos can even be random beauty. Fractals whihc are goregous imgaes are created form the Chaotic math theory using random equations. Chaos is mere nature of life nothign really ntaurally is on order and often the need to creat a pattern is chaotic as things are bent unrooted and recreated.

Chaos is everything and Nothing at the same time. Chaos is Nuetral. **

Bedlamite

Choas is a part of order. One could not exist really without the other, and even if it could, it would cause a massive imbalence. But I feel the same way about 'good' and 'evil'. No, I take that back. Good an evil, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder....

I like the old greek definition of chaos. Not randomness, but the raw stuff of creation, ultimate potential. Anything can come of this kind of chaos, even order. This is the idea that gave R.A. Wilson his sacred chao.

If you loo at it that way, chaos is niether good not evil.... yet

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think chaos is the natural state of things, it's only humans that lack comprehention of real science, so we have to structuralise everything for it to make sense, which is why of course our science just like our spirituality ultimatley is a failure.

darki's Avatar darki must die

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I think chaos is the natural state of things, it's only humans that lack comprehention of real science, so we have to structuralise everything for it to make sense, which is why of course our science just like our spirituality ultimatley is a failure.
    I think the natural state of things is very structurized...
    ...but sometimes people can't see the structures, so they call it chaos.

Nuada_Airgetlam's Avatar Just A Wolf

If the natural state of things is structure then why is it that for the brilliance of our inventors that everything that has ever been created people have called them madmen or worse. Yet everytime after it works and it takes off the creator of this or that is heralded as a brilliant man or woman. When asked they simply say from that they had no idea that it was going to work this time. In fact nine times out if ten anything that has been done was pulled out of thin air. Which is why after certain discoveries some laws of physics have been reworked.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

If the natural state of things is structure then why is it that for the brilliance of our inventors that everything that has ever been created people have called them madmen or worse. Yet everytime after it works and it takes off the creator of this or that is heralded as a brilliant man or woman. When asked they simply say from that they had no idea that it was going to work this time. In fact nine times out if ten anything that has been done was pulled out of thin air.
    well this is largely untrue, most breakthroughs are based on the failed attempts of many many others and after repeated experiments or terrific concentration.

In any case even if you are right, it goes no way to prove that the world is unstructured.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Chaos is beyond good and evil. I believe it is a force we have to master to achieve our goals. Nietzsche is dead, we are not. I agree the natural world does have a structure we rarely comprehend. We need not as long as we understand basic laws of nature (cause and effect) (action - reaction) etc.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

haha. nietzsche may be dead but as ideas live on, thus proving the eternal reoccurance and the formal "reincarnation" which is both a structure and chaotic, that's the beautiful harmony of the universe... however, to the point is that he'd and still does argue you that: There is no such thing as cause and effect. there is cause but it's only humans that require and thus invent the concept of effect. every cause is it's own and only effect.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    haha. nietzsche may be dead but as ideas live on, thus proving the eternal reoccurance and the formal "reincarnation" which is both a structure and chaotic, that's the beautiful harmony of the universe... however, to the point is that he'd and still does argue you that: There is no such thing as cause and effect. there is cause but it's only humans that require and thus invent the concept of effect. every cause is it's own and only effect.
    Sounds like Oswald Spengler. I didn't intend the meaning to be a dichotomy of cause and effect, just that there always is one. I actually have come to reject Nietzsche and Spengler both, not that either are completely lacking in insight.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Is Chaos evil?
    Evil? Can't say I'd call it evil cause personally I don't think it exists. People seem to call anything they don't undestand or want to accept "chaotic". Calling something without structure and order is chaotic by some defenitions yet one can say even in those situations their is some structure to it however confounding it may be.

Order seems to be subjective given how one defines it and how they view a particular subject or situation.

Chaos and Order both come off as labels given to something over analyzes by people with too much free time. I don't see anything pure enough to fall into the definitions of chaos and order...everything seems to be in a constant state of change since as time passes on anything can go either way. What can be see as ordered and stuctured one minute by those who buy into that can be chaotic the next by the same people...or vice versa.

They are nice ideas to I guess fight some sort of confusion and get ones head around it but ultimately they seem kinda pointless.

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

No

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

chaos is life if you don't have chaos there's no life...gotta have some chaos.

Nuada_Airgetlam's Avatar Just A Wolf

when I originally posted this I was asking simply out of curiosity. I had originally posed this exact same question to a few of my friends and the responses were not the best I had ever received. Many of them had said that chaos is evil and there is nothing that will change it. I disagreed. So I asked here just wondering what kind of response I was going to get and I am actually glad that it has been so intellectual.

+ Reply to Thread