+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have you ever been stabbed in the abdomen?

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Default Have you ever been stabbed in the abdomen?

If you have, what do you think would be the best course of action for someone with no medical insurance?
    Assuming the stab wound didnt seem to cut up any major organs or anything, and the bleeding is somewhat under controll.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Have you ever been stabbed in the abdomen?

i would go to an ICC or the ER because even if there is no serious internal damaged it needs to be stiched and cleaned to avoid infection and he ICC is much cheaper than the ER

Oh, I stitched it... And its clean.. I just didnt know if there was anything else in order... I was also wanting to hear peoples complications/experiences, since it is quite singular, and rather painful.

ive quite a few nasty accidents related to martial arts weapons and even after i clean it up and dress it or whatever i always have it checked od by profesionals except for one cut i got from a sword whic i just cauterized with a lighter and dressed plus if you get stabbed in the abdomen there is always a large chance for hard to spot internal injuries and/or bleeding so i highly advise seeking medical attention

Medical insurance/extreme poverty plays a very important role. People generally assume that a certain standard of living comes into play, but are mistaken, as that appearantly does not apply to me.
    el sigh

well if you cant afford to have it looked at then just keep it clean and whatnot

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    If you have, what do you think would be the best course of action for someone with no medical insurance?
    Assuming the stab wound didnt seem to cut up any major organs or anything, and the bleeding is somewhat under controll.

Yes, I have, on many occasions, but they did not scar too badly so far, aside from being a deeper pink, though they have faded alot.

dont know, since I am not allowed to goto the doctor in those cases for obvious reasons.

Well, im not too worried about scarring, as my body is interlaced with all sorts of scars and gashes... I was worried about things like residual tissue tearing, stuff of that ilk.

Well, im not too worried about scarring, as my body is interlaced with all sorts of scars and gashes... I was worried about things like residual tissue tearing, stuff of that ilk.
    Never been to the doctor for most of them, so I dont know how bad the stabs and cuts and burns were. **

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

there's not a free or low cost clinic in your town? most places have at least one for that very reason

Oh, I did have to get stitches because of the stuff My dad did with the car that cut My Eyelid and Lip open. **

actually, there isnt. I live in a town where that sort of thing is basically frowned upon. Even if it was low cost, however, I would most likely not have enough money to pay for it... medical care differs from most expensive things in that I cannot steal it.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

american health care sucks royally.
    how much would you be expected to pay?....any idea?

Aore than one hundred dollars. Swedish healthcare is better, but is also worse in that you cannot choose your physician... I guess theres a trade off..

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I think emergency rooms are overrated and definitely over-priced. I broke my ankle this past October and I got carried back to work, took a painkiller left over from oral surgery and put ice on it, and made a regular appointment with a reasonably-priced doctor for the next day. If you are worried about long-term damage, you might want to call around your area to find a doctor where a visit will be cheaper. Some doctors are really good people and will work with you on either price or let you pay over time, if you explain your situation. If you think you got it taken care of for the long term yourself, then I wouldn't waste hard-earned dough. If it is just a flesh wound, that sounds really unpleasant and much sympathy, but you will probably be fine without spending money you don't have. Of course, I am not a doctor, so this does not constitute official medical advice and you might want to get it looked at if you can find someone more affordable or someone who will give you a payment plan.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Like with any cut you gotta worry about infection...I draw a pretty fine line with going to the ER...but broken bones and deep cuts usually get me there. It's a pain in the ass and pocketbook but given the area you were stabbed...it'd do it. It's one of those things that's really best left to a doc to decide..not a message board. Granted we have some smart people here but this is something a lil more complicated given one has to see the injury and how deep it goes.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

If it is deep, you should go get it looked at. If your intestinal track got damaged, you could suffer horrible internal infection. You will be fine one day and all of a sudden, super sick, then dead. It goes quick from wounds like that, as I understand it anyway. But, I'm not a doctor. If you think it's just a bleeder and there is no internal damage, I'd worry less, but it's hard to tell from the outside without knowing details about the cause and implement used.

Eh, point misunderstood, i guess... it went sideways under the skin for like five inches then got pulled up
    so theres a big slash, but no laceration of the tracts or whatnot... just another scar, i suppose

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

I had a knife go through my hand(fuckyouguy). some ass stabbed me it was all funky, and meaty out the other side.....

i had the same issue,could never afford hospital bills(mom's still paying a bill from whwn i was 10,when i was about a week away from dying)

we did the iodine/"sterile" thing and wrapped it in some gauze........i have a pretty narly scar on both sides of my hand,but it healed in about 2 weeks,enough to function at least.......a bit longer to not realize it there......

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I think emergency rooms are overrated and definitely over-priced.
    I agree. I got punched in the face, out of nowhere I might add. I had braces at the time.... so that didn't help any I had a hole in the right corner of my lip... I was out for a minute or two.

Anyways... 3-6 stitches was like 600$. Insurance paid for like 3/4.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Thank the gods i have never been stabbed in the abdomin...even without insurance...I hope a hospital visit was made...you risk tetanus, infection and disease, just a few problems that can occur from such a thing...Hospitals cannot turn you away for lack of insurance...worry about the bill later..worry of yourself now

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Having been both stabbed and shot myself, i would suggest you do what is right. that being, go to the hospital,dont bring ID and give any name. Hospitals will not turn you away and will treat you regardless, then try to bill your false information. trust me NO, i repeat no hospital will turn a patient in need away. just dont be you and there is no cost. I have done this MANY times.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

don't doctors have to do an oath not to turn someone down,

that's why John Wilks Booth got his broken leg fixed on the run after killing Lincoln.......

gettin' all history on ya huh.......haha......

memorydream's Avatar Sage

No, but I did get shot it the head, can you tell? (Yes, it really happened and it is funny.)

Eh, point misunderstood, i guess... it went sideways under the skin for like five inches then got pulled up
    so theres a big slash, but no laceration of the tracts or whatnot... just another scar, i suppose
    None of My wounds so far have went that deep, though they did result in alot of surface wounds/ cuts.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    don't doctors have to do an oath not to turn someone down,

that's why John Wilks Booth got his broken leg fixed on the run after killing Lincoln.......

gettin' all history on ya huh.......haha......
    The Hippocratic oath, it's been around longer than any prevailing any government law or institution, I believe.

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

I'm sorry, I guess I'm ignorant or something...but the American government sounds like a bunch of greedy assholes. You have to pay for emergency care? And if you can't afford it, what? You die? WTF. Maybe some of the money should be taken out of the war effort and used to help people like Ellis get some proper medical care!!!!!!

Anyway....

Our hospitals arent govt. run/owned... theyre operated largely in the private sector. This mesans they have no real obligation to you. Legally they may, but in reality, there isnt alot you can do about it.
    And yes, many Americans are greedy as get-out, but again, many are not.

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

Been slashed, not badly though.. left a NASTY f***ign scar.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

There are hospitals that will treat people with no insurance.

What you should do, is go to the ER, and tell them you have no insurance,
    but you were stabbed in the abdomen. Ask them what to do. They will
    either agree to treat you, or tell you where you should go.

Private hospitals often do not treat people with insurance,
    but public hospitals will. You may have to spend all day
    in the waiting room, but eventually someone will see you.

Just give them your name, but no contact info.
    Tell them you are homeless, with no $, and no insurance...

There is no public hospital

almost all US hospitals are owned by the private sector they still wont turn you down and if they do you can start a huge legal mess over the whole matter

You cant start a legal mess without money. The owrld doesnt always follow the rules it makes :P

You cant start a legal mess without money. The owrld doesnt always follow the rules it makes :P
    Im sure if a hospital turned you away you could get some crusade lawyer to take on your case for dirt cheap just so they could get publicity a freind of mine did that once for something different but alls youd have to do is go to the press but then again that would only work if you where seriously injusred and desperately needed treatment

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    Im sure if a hospital turned you away you could get some crusade lawyer to take on your case for dirt cheap just so they could get publicity a freind of mine did that once for something different but alls youd have to do is go to the press but then again that would only work if you where seriously injusred and desperately needed treatment
    agreed...and there is a public hospital somewhere in your county/state you can go to...im a registered nurse in Fla...If you go to a hospital, and they turn you away....let me know...i will see who i can connect with in that state...to complain to the medical boards...(and get action as they have said)

How long has it been now since you were injured anyways?...weeks?

naw, a few days... I heal really fast, and nothing is the matter so far. I was studying to be a nurse at one point, so I pretty much know whats going down with my innards at this point.
    Suppose I shouls make this blatantly clear. There are factors that make hospital use impossible for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    yeah... make a reality show.... :/

... There are factors that make hospital use impossible for me...
    then find your self a private doctor....

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

There are factors that make hospital use impossible for me.
    Tell us the factors!

+ Reply to Thread