+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Video Game Weight Loss Program

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Default Video Game Weight Loss Program

Have any of you actually lost weight playing video games. I once played Final Fantasy 4 & 6 back to back and over about a 9 day period I lost nearly 10 pounds (of course, when I got divorced I lost nearly 50 in a week by way of stress, coffee and boose). I have recently found myself capable of this on alternate diet of lots of 70s style AD & D (Disco D & D, I like to call it).

What is your slacker diet of choice?

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Default Re: Video Game Weight Loss Program

If anyone says DDR, I will go berserk. I swear to god I hate that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    If anyone says DDR, I will go berserk. I swear to god I hate that game.
    Yikes! I'm too old to even remember what that one is. (But, you don't have to say it if you don't want to.)

IT is that newfangled "Dance Dance Revolution. In other words... Deamonic Date ****. I once made a bet to a friend I coud beat Final Fantasy 6 without eating, and halfway through the game, they said they would pay me to beat 7 as well directly afterwards without eating. 1 1/2 days without food... wasnt that hard, but characters make less sense to the starving mind.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

DDR is Dance Dance Revolution, remember the powerpad from the NES? basically the same concept. You come away from the arcade version about 6 lbs lighter from all the sweat you pour.

I don't lose weight, just track of time. I lost about 7 hours of time playing Final Fantasy 6. What's sad is I memorized the game.

kshearsedriver's Avatar resident nut

the powerpad is a sick and twisted device..........and not in a good way. i keep it locked in my closet so it won't infect the good video games. the last thing I want to do is excercise when playing games.......too much like work

Hula Hoop Supervisor

You want to lose weight playing video games...only DDR has proven that not only possible but effective...hate the game all you want...it works.

... lies. You can play ANY game with the DDr pad, and the also have a fighting game pad sorta like it...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

... lies. You can play ANY game with the DDr pad, and the also have a fighting game pad sorta like it...
    Uh...no. You can try but you'd be a fucking idiot to think it'll do much good. DDR is the ONLY game out on the market today that has a proven track record of helping people lose weight and stay fit...it's the ONLY thing that did it but it was a big help. It keeps you moving and using your whole body for a rather long period of time...and if you want to get good at it you practice regularly as a result you are actually getting SOME sort of exercise...not exactly a big thing amoung gamers. I'm not a huge DDR fan but I've run into many a gamer that's been helped by it...I gotta respect it for that.

There is a fighting pad similar to it but 1. It does not work. 2. It has horrible lag issues. Plus no fighting game plays effectively with it...besides only newbs and scrubs play fighting games with anything but an arcade stick.

So you think playing games like SSX or tetris or games with much more movement that DDR will magically have less of an effect than DDr on your metabolism? Thank you, oh mighty mage.
    I happen to own a fighting pad, and with a little calibration, the jostle sensors work fine, and i can school on most people in street fighter alpha 3/street fighter vs snk/marvel vs capcom.
    I have not gone Berserk yet... I think maybe the trigger is broken...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

If you can play said with the same level of body interaction as DDR then you will see an improvement in your body...sitting on a couch with controller in hand...no, you won't see much of anything. Even using a dancepad with other games would not be the same simply due to the fact DDR is not meant to be played in a vanilla form...it really pushes you and expects that you throw your whole body into the mix with some sense of style and ryhthem.

As far as the fighting pad goes and I assume you mean the octogonal one...I'd have to see one school real players in a tournament to have any faith in garbage like that. If a player can get ranked on SRK with that then maybe I'll think different.

Nope, it just happened.
    So, you think the game, the actual GAME of dance dance revolution is what makes people skinny? It cant be the movement... it cant be the controller... it cant be the DANCING... Beleive it or not, there are games out there that require much more coordination and movement to play with the ddr pad than DDr itself. Just because the game presents itself in full flaming seizure-vision does NOT mean that it is the best game for losing weight(or even having seizures) I am getting too furious to form rational sentences... I take my leave of this topic, before I violate some bylaw.

the pad has these three really cheesey cliche fighters on it... and it has stuff you strap to yourself

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Nope, it just happened.
    So, you think the game, the actual GAME of dance dance revolution is what makes people skinny? It cant be the movement... it cant be the controller... it cant be the DANCING... Beleive it or not, there are games out there that require much more coordination and movement to play with the ddr pad than DDr itself. Just because the game presents itself in full flaming seizure-vision does NOT mean that it is the best game for losing weight(or even having seizures) I am getting too furious to form rational sentences... I take my leave of this topic, before I violate some bylaw.
    If that was the topic then yes I'd agree...but I've yet to see one current game that has actually made people lose weight like DDR has. The game itself and all involved with it requires a lot of body movement similar to an aerobics workout. I've seen a few tournaments and really it's some pretty wild stuff...it's really the only game on the market where your entire body can become one with the game.

Yet to see any other game come anywhere near that level of body interaction and use.

this is it, we both lose, derek wins... but you lose less than me

Midian928: whatever the case you have no point, your arguement is utterly moronic. The pad was not designed for said games.
    Lexicon Of Rage: it doesnt matter
    Lexicon Of Rage: what matters is that it COULD be used with a game that doesnt suck
    Midian928: ok, ill rephase that, who gives a fuck, that is just about the stupidest arguement I have heard in a long time
    Lexicon Of Rage: i know it is
    Lexicon Of Rage: i havnt slept in soooooo long
    Lexicon Of Rage: so it makes perfect sense to me
    Lexicon Of Rage: and matters deeply
    Midian928: thats like argueing "WHY THE FUCK DO PEOPLE NOT BOWL WITH COCONUTS, IF YOU FILLED THEM WITH MOLTON STEEL THEY WOULD BE HEAVY AND THEY WOULD WORK JUST AS GOOD! GOD DAMNIT RETARDED FUCKERS!"
    Lexicon Of Rage: holy shit
    Lexicon Of Rage: not only was that the funniest thing ever, but that would rock so much
    Midian928: that it would
    Lexicon Of Rage: seriously tho
    Lexicon Of Rage: i absolutely cannot stop laughing
    Lexicon Of Rage: that was so funny

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

this thread is fucking hilarious.....hahahahah....jesus...

Game and exercize? O_O

Every time we play D&D, we have numerous snacks and drinks. :[ Everquest makes me snack, too. That's why I have to exercize everymorning. But on the plus size, I'm getting buff! (except in a feminine way!)

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i agree with tequila DDR is the only game that has been proven to help people loose weight you dont move as much with the fighting pad as you do with the DDR dancing pad in the games higher dificulty levels. Believe when i tell you that DDR on maniac dificulty level is one tough workout . i dont play the game much but in high school we always played it in clas at the end of the school year when we had nothing else to do in class

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i agree with tequila DDR is the only game that has been proven to help people loose weight you dont move as much with the fighting pad as you do with the DDR dancing pad in the games higher dificulty levels. Believe when i tell you that DDR on maniac dificulty level is one tough workout . i dont play the game much but in high school we always played it in clas at the end of the school year when we had nothing else to do in class
    Plus it's fun watching hot asian girls gyrate and jiggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Plus it's fun watching hot asian girls gyrate and jiggle.
    thats what got me into the game in the firstplae to bad i suck at

thats what got me into the game in the firstplae to bad i suck at
    If that doesn't burn off the pounds, what will?

I still have a powerpad for NES!!! I used to play track and field on it. Eerm, I don't know if it really works or not, but my friend's 50 yr old mom bought DDR to try to lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    I still have a powerpad for NES!!! I used to play track and field on it. Eerm, I don't know if it really works or not, but my friend's 50 yr old mom bought DDR to try to lose weight.
    God, I remember running so fast on that thing on the advanced level. It was like you had to be a real athlete. I actually used to beat the pad rapidly with my fist quickly.

The Not Eating Until You Finish X Game idea appeals to my bloody-mindedness. might just try that.

*checks mirror*

Hmmm... i think i have a copy of Morrowind somewhere...

jenova_sin's Avatar the sweet lips of cruelty

I do not look very well playing DDR its kinda like....just not natural and outta place my lil spooky ass spinning and stuff... You know who is actually really good at DDR ...Nick Nolte He has his own machine in his basement . They had this documentary of him on the Daily show a bit ago and they showed him breakin beats... he is scary good...like those little asian kids good....

^v^ - Nick Nolte is my Dracula
    German

i dont think anyone looks realy good playing DDR, for starters your not realy dancing it looks more like your jumping around like a jack ass, noone can realy use their DDR moves on the dance flor

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i dont think anyone looks realy good playing DDR, for starters your not realy dancing it looks more like your jumping around like a jack ass, noone can realy use their DDR moves on the dance flor
    what are you talking about i use my DDR moves when im out clubbing all the time.

jenova_sin's Avatar the sweet lips of cruelty

Under normal circumstances I would totally agree.... But you need to see the Nick Nolte DDR video...

^v^ - Step to da LEFT!!!!
    German

ok maybe i should take that coment back but on average most people cant use their dance skills on the dance floor maybe onlly a select few

+ Reply to Thread