+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you have or want health insurance?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you have or want health insurance?

Do you have or want health insurance? I don't have it, but I'm not sure I want it.

Preach's Avatar Member

Default Re: Do you have or want health insurance?

In germany it's a must, so i have it

Quote Originally Posted by Preach
    A must like required by law or like you are accident-prone? Although I lived in Germany in high school, I don't recall anything about how healthcare was handled.

koolagh's Avatar Resident Barbarian

Considering the fact that I have been having severe chest pains for the past four days, yet cannot afford to go to a hospital......I would love health insurance right now.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

erm, no. nhs - fantastic idea. they deal with my thyroid and nutterdom and everything. i just wish i didn't have to pay for my scripts...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Can't afford it...for a fella like me it'd be at least $150 a month. That's not including all the other "hidden fees"...it's just too expensive for my budget at the moment. Being an honorable citizen again sure is expensive.

Jozie's Avatar Senior Member

I live in the Great White North- we don't have to worry about such things, at least not yet.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie
    I live in the Great White North- we don't have to worry about such things, at least not yet.
    I have a few friends up that way myself and they have a few gripes with it at times. Still it's diffrent kind of system with a diffrent set up that I doubt could work in the U.S.

Heath Care is such an Industry these days It can't function free in most nations. Their is an Asian nation who's name totally escapes me as I write this that has a free system as well...it was a shining example of how free quality health care can be done.

Now the costs are mounting up so bad that waiting lists for procedures take 3 months...and it looks to be falling apart as staffs are overworked, maintenance is becoming very expensive,etc. The outlook has it lasting another 5 years before it collapses.

Jozie's Avatar Senior Member

As it stands here, we have OHIP. So if you break a leg- it will cost you nothing. Need to spend the night? You are thrown into a room with 3 other people. Want a single room? Better have benefits, shit gets pricey. Im cheap, and I'll take my room with three other people- they can stare at my butt all they want.

Things are getting expensive, and there are more then a handful of people that want our health care system partically privatized so that the rich can pay to get ahead at private clients. Of course where does that leave the poor folks? Waiting in longer lines, in rundown hospitals, with doctors that more then likely are less qualified then the ones working in the private locations.

I think we need to do something here, but I don't think going private is the right route. I guess the outcome of the next election will decide what is or isn't done.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Things are getting expensive, and there are more then a handful of people that want our health care system partically privatized so that the rich can pay to get ahead at private clients. Of course where does that leave the poor folks? Waiting in longer lines, in rundown hospitals, with doctors that more then likely are less qualified then the ones working in the private locations.
    That's the rub...at the end of the day the cost for quality health care has to come from somewhere...oddly enough if it IS private a citzen pays it right out of their pocket...if it is run by the government then it is paid with ones taxes...so really the citizens end up paying for it anyhow.

Might as well get the most bang for your buck since you do get what you pay for.

Though what's really funny is when "health care" is discussed in L.A. it usually has something to do with cosmentic surgery. I've heard "My damn HMO won't cover my botox!" a dozen times or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    That's the rub...at the end of the day the cost for quality health care has to come from somewhere...oddly enough if it IS private a citzen pays it right out of their pocket...if it is run by the government then it is paid with ones taxes...so really the citizens end up paying for it anyhow.
    This is exactly my issue with insurance. In the US, health insurance companies are FOR PROFIT organizations. This means they need more paid in than they pay out. Every time I've had high medical expenses and looked into what insurance would cost me, it always seemed to come out that, if I couldn't afford the healthcare, then I couldn't afford the insurance. Because the insurance premiums are there to cover the healthcare expenses PLUS a profit for the insurance company.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    This is exactly my issue with insurance. In the US, health insurance companies are FOR PROFIT organizations. This means they need more paid in than they pay out. Every time I've had high medical expenses and looked into what insurance would cost me, it always seemed to come out that, if I couldn't afford the healthcare, then I couldn't afford the insurance. Because the insurance premiums are there to cover the healthcare expenses PLUS a profit for the insurance company.
    It's a depressing reality, and I don't know if there is an answer to lower cost quality health care besides getting a job that offers health coverage at group rates. What is there for those such as artists, musicians, writers, etc.? For students who want/need more coverage/care than what their school can give them? As for me, I have NO health insurance... but I'm one of those students who go to the county hospital for free. I don't feel bad getting free health care there (it's not great, but they try), because once I get my RN license, in a sense I'll be giving back.

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

I have Kaiser. It works. I've used it once, and it was a good deal.

I'm an old piece of shit, though, and falling apart as fast as I can duct-tape my shit back together. I'd be in some trouble with no insurance.

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

As it stands here, we have OHIP. So if you break a leg- it will cost you nothing. Need to spend the night? You are thrown into a room with 3 other people. Want a single room? Better have benefits, shit gets pricey. Im cheap, and I'll take my room with three other people- they can stare at my butt all they want.
    That's the spirit.

I'm only chiming in here because if you reply to me you'll have 100 posts and get a shirt.

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

yes, I have it. I dont ever want to be in an emergency and not be able to have help/treatment. It costs a fortune, but I look at it as a neccesity.

Quote Originally Posted by CeruleanFire
    yes, I have it. I dont ever want to be in an emergency and not be able to have help/treatment. It costs a fortune, but I look at it as a neccesity.
    One of my big concerns with health insurance is that it is so expensive and I have had pretty bad experiences with car insurance. I carry car insurance because I am required to, but every time I have needed help from either my car insurance or someone else's, I have not been properly taken care of. It would have been way cheaper if the money I spent on insurance could have just gone to car repairs and medical.

For example, some time ago, my car was rear-ended. Very hard. While stopped at a red light. When emergency vehicles were going through the intersection.

The guy who rear-ended me didn't want to give me his insurance info at first, but he didn't want to pay to fix the back of my car or for my medical bills. Turns out his insurance paid a tiny fraction of either my car repair or my medical bills and this only after I seriously started proceedings to take them to court. My insurance company was no help whatsoever in collecting. Although they were interested in the details, just in case they could give them an excuse to raise my premiums.

I'm just not convinced the insurance companies will really pay out when you need care.

nausiatingpain's Avatar Senior Member

One of my big concerns with health insurance is that it is so expensive and I have had pretty bad experiences with car insurance. I carry car insurance because I am required to, but every time I have needed help from either my car insurance or someone else's, I have not been properly taken care of. It would have been way cheaper if the money I spent on insurance could have just gone to car repairs and medical.

For example, some time ago, my car was rear-ended. Very hard. While stopped at a red light. When emergency vehicles were going through the intersection.

The guy who rear-ended me didn't want to give me his insurance info at first, but he didn't want to pay to fix the back of my car or for my medical bills. Turns out his insurance paid a tiny fraction of either my car repair or my medical bills and this only after I seriously started proceedings to take them to court. My insurance company was no help whatsoever in collecting. Although they were interested in the details, just in case they could give them an excuse to raise my premiums.

I'm just not convinced the insurance companies will really pay out when you need care.
    Yeah, the only reason insurance companies exist is because they can take your money and not pay out. My car insurance was around $200 a month a few years ago, then I got into an accident and now it's around $290 a month. I expect it to drop a bit next month though. My insurance payment is higher than my car payment. I have one 2-point ticket on my license, and that's it. Right now I'm between jobs, working a temp one until a 'real' job comes through. When it does I will defintely buy the health insurance. Good employers will shoulder the vast majority of the cost. So if I have to pay $60 a month, it's really costing my employer like $600 a month. My last full-time job I had to pay around $12.50 per paycheck for insurance. Not bad eh? But even with insurance, getting healthcare these days can be a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by nausiatingpain
    Yeah, the only reason insurance companies exist is because they can take your money and not pay out. My car insurance was around $200 a month a few years ago, then I got into an accident and now it's around $290 a month. I expect it to drop a bit next month though. My insurance payment is higher than my car payment. I have one 2-point ticket on my license, and that's it. Right now I'm between jobs, working a temp one until a 'real' job comes through. When it does I will defintely buy the health insurance. Good employers will shoulder the vast majority of the cost. So if I have to pay $60 a month, it's really costing my employer like $600 a month. My last full-time job I had to pay around $12.50 per paycheck for insurance. Not bad eh? But even with insurance, getting healthcare these days can be a hassle.

I think that whole system is just kind of set up to enslave people in positions in large organizations. It is surely a discouragement from pursuing a more varied existence far more than any paycheck. I know when I temped the perm offers were always for way less money and they justified it by saying I would get health insurance. At the time, I was always like I never go to the doctor when I'm sick, so what good will that do. When I finally begged until I got health insurance at one job, the insurance writer guy kept grilling me about who my doctor was and seemed to think I must be making up that I hadn't been in years. I never did get that insurance to cover the few miniscule medical expenses I had while employed there either.

god damn, thats harsh. although the nhs is really showing the strain, thats why cigarettes are so heavily taxed over here. it's 4 quid for 20 royals now - pain in the rear end and no mistake.

the idea of being in a room with 3 other people is pretty much a luxury here - wards wards and more wards. i spent 6 weeks in one, and the only nod to privacy is those sodding curtains. the only time i got a room to myself was when i had my wisdom teeth out and i punched the surgeon when i was coming round.

Something interesting though - when TV Nation did their 'Healthcare Olympics' Cuba actually won - fast treatment with no cost to the patient. They had to lie and say Canada won to get it aired

Norway has some of the best stuff with that.

If somebody gets hit by a bus, they dont need to sue people. They have some sort of deal where they driver and victim just give each other the " You're ok, I'm Ok sign, and then they get some group to cover all their medical bills without being too bad for either group. That is a rough definition though, since it was several years since I read that book.

Norway seems to have the best Legal system though.

Quote Originally Posted by vixta
    god damn, thats harsh. although the nhs is really showing the strain, thats why cigarettes are so heavily taxed over here. it's 4 quid for 20 royals now - pain in the rear end and no mistake.

the idea of being in a room with 3 other people is pretty much a luxury here - wards wards and more wards. i spent 6 weeks in one, and the only nod to privacy is those sodding curtains. the only time i got a room to myself was when i had my wisdom teeth out and i punched the surgeon when i was coming round.

Something interesting though - when TV Nation did their 'Healthcare Olympics' Cuba actually won - fast treatment with no cost to the patient. They had to lie and say Canada won to get it aired
    Ha ha, note to self: punch more medical personnel.

Pretty disturbing on the media twist there. I'm guessing a higher % of the population in Canada has access to medical care than in Cuba, but I might be basing that thought on media disinformation.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Norway has some of the best stuff with that.

If somebody gets hit by a bus, they dont need to sue people. They have some sort of deal where they driver and victim just give each other the " You're ok, I'm Ok sign, and then they get some group to cover all their medical bills without being too bad for either group. That is a rough definition though, since it was several years since I read that book.

Norway seems to have the best Legal system though.
    How exactly is this a good thing? The "victim" will have more to deal with down the road if they are seriously injured. Medical bills are one thing but cost of living expenses are another. Too many open questions in that kinda "agreement". I mean come on...if you're hit by a fucking bus it's not gonna be a lil love tap. Fender benders are one thing...but severe accidents are another.

And if I gotta live with the hassle of injuries caused by an accident like that...I want the fucking bus drivers head on a pike.

Same goes if you switch it...if I get injured ON the bus cause some idiot cut off the bus and caused an accident...I want THAT drivers head on a pike.

Too much of life is not meant to be played or dealt with fairly...the example you cited is one of them.

Pretty disturbing on the media twist there. I'm guessing a higher % of the population in Canada has access to medical care than in Cuba, but I might be basing that thought on media disinformation.
    ...But Stones Too, Can Lie...-Kain VonCoorHagen

pretty much everyone in cuba has full access, as it all goes through the family doctors before they go to a hospital, although i could be wrong.

and yeah, i got a room to myself, but they woke me up every hour taking my goddamn blood pressure

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Cuba prides itself on it's health care, education, and literacy. But it lacks pretty much everything else...at best it's a nice place to have a vacation and hear some good music...

Now if someone would have the fucking balls to put a bullet in Castro's head and his bullshit revolutionaries*...you'd have a hell of place to live and visit that would rival ANY tourist mecca. It's furstrating to step foot there cause you see SO much wasted potential and possabilities.

*What can I say I grew up around a lot of Cuban expatriates. Plus I really really hate communism.

*. Plus I really really hate communism.
    I concur completely with you on that subject.

What is the point of trying if you are going to all be the same- Quote By: Archie Bunker You had to watch episode to get the message Archie was trying to convey.

and your little dog too

I hate both capitalism and communism because man's inhumanity to man makes both fail. I also hate insurance companies.

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    I hate both capitalism and communism because man's inhumanity to man makes both fail. I also hate insurance companies.
    I think im really beginning to like you.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    I love Capitalism (marx coined the phrase I think)...plus it does work. Beautifully at that. It's not perfect or fair and people get hurt...but that's the way of the world.

Capitalism at it's core is more human than anything else. You sell a commodity for a price to make a profit...many of us here are pretty guilty of it no? It also allows us to fund other more humanitarian efforts. At least with capitalism you have a chance if you have the guts, smarts, and balls for it.

If not...well...you have socialism. Personally I can't stomach socialists...they're utterly worthless. Their idealogy is too close to an overbearing and overcaring mother who fawns all over you if you so much as scrape your knee or lose at something.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Preach
    Way off topic...but your avatar caught my eye... I didn't know they showed The Shield in Germany...I'm curious how it translates.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    I think im really beginning to like you.
    What I meant by that, is that I respect and admire your brazeness, and how you so strongly express your opinions.

Off topic, I know, but I just thought I would compliment you on that.

Personally though, I am not exactly sure what my favorite style of Government is.

the problem with most political sytem is the nature of mankind - there will always be one person obsessed with power and money. an interesting thing is that while the guys were writing 'all men are created equal' their personal slaves were chained up in their back yard...

communism is one of those things that is always abused as it relys upon the nature of the participants. something that i hate is the use of it as a weapon - you don't tow the good old patriotic capitalist line and you are immediatly dismissed as a 'communist'. given that i'm hopefully going to stand as an mp for the Legalise Cannabis Alliance what does that make me? the use of mind altering substances is usually the first thing to provoke the reaction...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

the problem with most political sytem is the nature of mankind - there will always be one person obsessed with power and money. an interesting thing is that while the guys were writing 'all men are created equal' their personal slaves were chained up in their back yard...
    That's simplifying it TOO much though. The nature of mankind includes more than the aquisition of power. Those who are inclined obsessed by it do so for various reasons...not JUST themselves. Plus you just can't deny that human need to be better then the poor bastard next to you. Not everyone wants to live like the soul across the street...some dream big...really big. Also your slave coment has to be put into context...it was a diffrent age were the ideas that founded the U.S. were theoretical...no nation at that point tookt he gamble to put em into practice. Rousseau outlined much of it in The Social Contract but only the U.S. founding fathers took it beyond the page. It would take DECADES for it to all start to gel...change simply doesn't happen on a night and day cycle.

Prime example of one of the most importent events in History...George Washington was meeting with the most influential and powerful men in the new "United States"...he's president at this point. All gathered where there to convince him to become "King". You look at tha THAT day and age and what Washington says is earth shattering...he not declines but he does so for principles set out by men like Rousseau. He was not a perfect man by any means...but to TURN DOWN absolute power...that's a hell of a thing. Monarchs around the world questioned his judegement and sanity...and he became the first real "political celebrity" all over Europe and really became "El Che" of his day. Up to that point the American Revolution was the only "successful" Revoultion in that age based on the principles fromt he Age of Enlightenment...humanity can suprise you as much as make you cringe. The events to follow would reshape the world and in many ways we are still finding our way. It's only a bit over a decade since the communist block fell apart and democracy has filtered over other nations...we won't see the true ramifications in our lifetimes...but we will see a major change. I'm optomisitc enough to think its for the better.

communism is one of those things that is always abused as it relys upon the nature of the participants. something that i hate is the use of it as a weapon - you don't tow the good old patriotic capitalist line and you are immediatly dismissed as a 'communist'. given that i'm hopefully going to stand as an mp for the Legalise Cannabis Alliance what does that make me? the use of mind altering substances is usually the first thing to provoke the reaction...
    Not really...communism is flawed inherantly. It deny's basic human nature to be better than those around you. Plus Capitalism has ZERO to do with patriotism...Capitalism is ecenomic and cares little for the politicla system ruling it...look how it's infiltrating communist China for example. If you don't tow the Capitalist Line in your own life you are NOT a communism...you're Poor. Simple reality really...don't participate...then you don't make money. The world owe's you as the individual NOTHING...you must pull your own weight and survive on your own skills. That's nature at it's fairest...even when it seems to be completely unfair in practice.

Good luck with the Cannibis thing.

and your little dog too

I love Capitalism (marx coined the phrase I think)...plus it does work. Beautifully at that. It's not perfect or fair and people get hurt...but that's the way of the world.

Capitalism at it's core is more human than anything else. You sell a commodity for a price to make a profit...many of us here are pretty guilty of it no? It also allows us to fund other more humanitarian efforts. At least with capitalism you have a chance if you have the guts, smarts, and balls for it.

If not...well...you have socialism. Personally I can't stomach socialists...they're utterly worthless. Their idealogy is too close to an overbearing and overcaring mother who fawns all over you if you so much as scrape your knee or lose at something.

I also hate socialism. It all boils down to human nature and most humans have a rotten enough nature that socialism cannot work.

+ Reply to Thread