+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Robots.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Default Re: Robots.

It is so stupid that I am having to debate, while it could just be settled by you just reading the fucking news.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

yeah it is pretty stupid....because if you weren't interested in having a debate then you should give actual references and not just "the fucking news".

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Obviously they are not "combat ready" and loaded up with ammo, etc...

But they are being used in combat, and they will be used more often in the future.
    Both for air and land combat. The next generation of fighter plane will be flown
    via remote control. So yes, there are going to be robots in the future. And yes,
    they are working on human/robot interface, so you can have robotic limbs, etc...

But is that reason to fear robots?

Not in my opinion.

When my body gets old, and stops working, I would not mind
    putting my brain in a robot shell, until they could clone me
    a new body, etc... Robots and stuff like that are part of the
    future. You can embrace it, or fall behind.

You don't want to be like one of those old people who
    are afraid to ride in a car, or an airplane, do you?

That's what happens to people who cannot handle new technology.
    They get left behind.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

As long as I got some kick-ass magnets, I'm not worried.

But, seriously, remote controlled anything can be extremely bad, regardless.

Heres the thing. If you dont care about robots allready, I dont give a shit if they kill you, because you are basically asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    Heres the thing. If you dont care about robots allready, I dont give a shit if they kill you, because you are basically asking for it.
    That sounds like a pretty pro-robot attitude to me. Why even bother to say something in the first place if you don't even care about people in the first place? Why say anything, if you don't care? Hey...was this just to get some attention?

This was to alert the people who arent opposedto the idea of robot hunting/anti-robot activities. Not to argue with a bunch of people who are just going to end up as fuel or slaves or whatever. Either way, Im sure youll look a bit closer at any robot-related news in the future...
    and as far as attention is concerned, Why would someone look for attention on the internet?

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

I say let science expand itself...the threat of nuclear war scares me a million times more than some damned robots.....let them make robots then they can send them to war and not my family members....also...hell if they act and feel like humans...maybe we can fuck them and program them to shut the hell up...then we'd have the perfect lovers...heh

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

This was to alert the people who arent opposedto the idea of robot hunting/anti-robot activities. Not to argue with a bunch of people who are just going to end up as fuel or slaves or whatever. Either way, Im sure youll look a bit closer at any robot-related news in the future...
    and as far as attention is concerned, Why would someone look for attention on the internet?
    No disrespect here Ellis really...but nuclear war is on the horizon...worry more about exsisting after radiation melts your flesh off...

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Not to argue with a bunch of people who are just going to end up as fuel or slaves or whatever. Either way, Im sure youll look a bit closer at any robot-related news in the future...
    actually nobody was arguing. you just have to make more substantial points that’s all. The DeathKnight did it just fine.

Incidentally, the topic really is pretty interesting....apparently these robots will be sent to Iraq in the not so distant future...

Oh well, no use arguing with conspiracy theories and schitzophrenia.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

This was to alert the people who arent opposedto the idea of robot hunting/anti-robot activities. Not to argue with a bunch of people who are just going to end up as fuel or slaves or whatever.

calm down a little. i've worked in labs that design robots, and i've worked with people who have to maintain the industrial variety. all these machines have to do is put sparkplugs in engines or weld a straight line, and they fuck that up frequently.

things to keep in mind:

they are incredibly complex, but one part failure can stop the whole thing. little or no redundancy.

any images you see of military machines will have been created by the people who are trying to sell robots to the military. they are always going to make them look good. any failures will be hushed up.

things they say "we will be able to do in five years' time", will be quoted elsewhere as "on the horizon", and elsewhere as "imminent". someone else will read that as "next week." usually, the thing isn't implemented at all (Project Orion, anyone? stand back!).

robots cost a lot of money to build: if you added up the costs you might see it's cheaper to send a 20-year old Jarhead to Iraq than it is to send over a remote-controlled gun platform with its trained operator and maintenance crew.

no-one has ever made a robot that can repair itself or build a copy of itself. or even a robot that can build other robots. that isn't to say it won't ever happen, but these things crop on Slashdot all the time, and they are always cast in the mode of "these things will be.." or ".. are planned to". never "this has been done."

did you read about the rally they held? where about a dozen computer-controlled cars tried to navigate over a fairly simple course?

none of them made it. if they can't drive down the store for a packet of cigarettes, they aren't going to be taking over the world very soon.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    calm down a little. i've worked in labs that design robots, and i've worked with people who have to maintain the industrial variety. all these machines have to do is put sparkplugs in engines or weld a straight line, and they fuck that up frequently.

things to keep in mind:

they are incredibly complex, but one part failure can stop the whole thing. little or no redundancy.

any images you see of military machines will have been created by the people who are trying to sell robots to the military. they are always going to make them look good. any failures will be hushed up.

things they say "we will be able to do in five years' time", will be quoted elsewhere as "on the horizon", and elsewhere as "imminent". someone else will read that as "next week." usually, the thing isn't implemented at all (Project Orion, anyone? stand back!).

robots cost a lot of money to build: if you added up the costs you might see it's cheaper to send a 20-year old Jarhead to Iraq than it is to send over a remote-controlled gun platform with its trained operator and maintenance crew.

no-one has ever made a robot that can repair itself or build a copy of itself. or even a robot that can build other robots. that isn't to say it won't ever happen, but these things crop on Slashdot all the time, and they are always cast in the mode of "these things will be.." or ".. are planned to". never "this has been done."

did you read about the rally they held? where about a dozen computer-controlled cars tried to navigate over a fairly simple course?

none of them made it. if they can't drive down the store for a packet of cigarettes, they aren't going to be taking over the world very soon.

LIES!!!!!!!! LIES ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!! You're one of them aren't you? You're a robot trying to lull us humans into a false sense of security...

I say we gut him and see what makes him tick.

Yeah the parinoia about robots is far ahead of the reality...even the most advanced Japanese stuff falls well short of the super machine gods some fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    LIES!!!!!!!! LIES ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!! You're one of them aren't you? You're a robot trying to lull us humans into a false sense of security...

I say we gut him and see what makes him tick.

Yeah the parinoia about robots is far ahead of the reality...even the most advanced Japanese stuff falls well short of the super machine gods some fear.
    Vulcan was able to walk thanks to his two robots.

Im not talking about something happening in a few years time, obviously. As with any technology, the quality and functionality will improve as the research and development advance. I doubt that anything too bad will happen with robots anytime in the nexttwo decades, for sure, and after that, its questionable for along time, but i expect to see troubles within my lifetime. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

You'll be worm food my friend...we're simply not as close as we need to be in terms of the kinds of robotics that is in our imaginations...plus who's to say they would even think the way we've dreamt them too? I see more of a possibilty of them being lazy fucks who want to do nothing than Hal 9000 psycho bots or AI.

If I was a robot and saw people drinking, fucking, and having fun...that would be MY prime directive over say...build economy size cars.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Besides robots must follow Isaac Asimov's three robot laws

1. Robots must never harm human beings or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    2. Robots must follow instructions from humans without violating rule 1.
    3. Robots must protect themselves without violating the other rules.

they only aply to real robots with AI not the drones that are still controled by humans

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK

1. Robots must never harm human beings or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    2. Robots must follow instructions from humans without violating rule 1.
    3. Robots must protect themselves without violating the other rules.

they only aply to real robots with AI not the drones that are still controled by humans
    I love the book and all...but it's pretty safe to say we'll never...ever...EVER...follow those laws in creating robots. They will first be used to kill other humans...then make japanese cars.

Robots use punctuation.
    how can you possibly say that? Are you just trying to be cool or something? Do you not understand the implications?
    I would like to ask: please, try to stay in the real world with social justice and more immediate needs. Worry bout the bots later. The Mel Gibson-Conspiracy-thing, as entertaining as it is, is not real. Thank you.

Nuada_Airgetlam's Avatar Just A Wolf

if you only knew....

but seriously when you are quoting news sources try to find some that are not sensation pieces that have absolutely no facts at all. ANd if the military was going to be releasing anything that they were working on we would have known 10 years ago that the plans for the F-22 Raptor. And I am sure that the pictures that are released still require maintenance crews and loaders. for the robots to function. so all that these machines would be is remote controlled supplements to the platoon of soldiers out on recon.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't know.. that mel gibson conspiracy thing seems pretty real... the world is running out of gasoline and somewhere a black cop and a white cop are getting togther but one of them wants to kill himself and they shoot a hundred people and blow up half the city and they are crygenically freezing people and shit's gonna go down when they wake up and men want to read minds to have sex with women and they want to crucify our messiah.

I look forward to destroying it.

there was a cute movie poster for the first-in-the-sequence Star Wars film, The Phantom Empire, i think it was. or perhaps for the attendant video game. it showed rank upon rank of robot soldiers, and underneath:

Destroy as many as you want. We'll just build more.

do you know why he invented those? he was sick of reading stories where Scientist Builds Robot, Robot Runs Amok and Kills Everyone. that's all people wrote back in the pulp days. he thought "knives have hilts.. guns have safety catches.. why not build safe robots?"

and then he proceeded to write a couple of dozen stories and some novels, in which robots wiggled their way around the laws and ran Amok.

actually, the stories were more about people being unable to accept safe robots.

define "harm". if a human is about to shoot up some morphine, does the robot stop them or not? it's a little more complicated than that.

Zombie slayer's Avatar Junior Member

Robot's aren't really an issue, an advanced artifial intelligence spanning the world already exists and we put it there, for the time it's not a threat to us because we maintain it. However, this zombie business interests me... Did you creat EZAC? And why the crap are you making a lead-off into a new organization about robots and still calling it EZAC? Why not make something new? "Yeah we're the emergency zombie activation coalition and we hate robots." ???????

btw, if you didn't creat EZAC tell me who did so I can join up.

Quote Originally Posted by nyar
    ok- I guess I am waiting for my robotic realdoll!!!

but death to the rest!!!
    I'm with Nyar on this one. as for the rest,when you throw nano tech. into the mix it dose get kind of scary. just look at the borg on star trek,not that i watch it to often but shit like that isn't to far off i bet alot of governments already have the tech. and are just waiting for some gready devestating way to use it. But it would be pretty cool to be a transformer!

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GeM5DsUgApc

isamovs rules are idiotic and would never work

robot carry this case over to that gentlemen and open it for him boom

i keep remembering the sealab episode
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=toR7ZQJSahE

cyborgs vs robots or would the cyborgs join the bots

i personally would love a remote bot that i could control through some secure unjamable radio

and the sexdoll sounds neat possibly for hot 3 way action

any thing my 308 wont handle i'll whip out my 50bmg

but with bombbots what can you do when they are stopped they self destruct and nuke the area

Asimov's laws aren't "laws" like, Force = Mass x Acceleration. they are moral guidelines. about not allowing people to come to harm - who decides what harm is? does the robot come with a twelve-disc DVD set explaining what harm is in every possible situation it might come across? no.
    Last edited by sheramil; 03-16-2006 at 12:10 AM. Reason: oh, yeah,

+ Reply to Thread