+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Robots.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Default Robots.

I have tried to write this thread many times, but every time I either run out of steam, or convince myself that nobody here really cares.

Robots are becoming more and more a real threat on the horizon. What started out as science fiction has quickly over the last few years turned into more and more of an imminant reality. The "rise of the machines" as it is so commonly reffered to, is just around the corner, and I was wondering what all of you are doing to prepare for what I call the "R0b0p0c0lyps".
    The main reasons I am so convinced that dangerous robots are on the horizon are the following news articles from the past year or two.

Robots have been made that run off of biological tissue- they eat flesh.

Artificial Intelligence, while years away, is in truth very close. A rat brain grown in a laboratory was taught to fly a fighter jet and is able to do so under even strong storm conditions.

The US military is now deploying robotic soldiers with heavy weaponry.
    A japanese security firm has made "kill bots" as well, but these robots have the ability to shoot at their own discretion.

Robots are getting more energy efficient.

Robots are getting stronger and more graceful in their movement- a robot has been made that moves just like a human.

Robots have been made that can reproduce(ask and ill tell, its not exactly what it sounds like)

The public has been desensitized to robots for years now, and would be complacent up until the revolution occured.

There is so much more, but I think you get the idea. One nutjob programs his robot/s to kill, or to clean up the environment, and they start the rebel killbot alliance, eventually leading to a R0b0verl0rd.

This is what I have done to prevent the R0b0p0c0lyps;

Training with anti-robot weaponry- anything from a crowbar to an EMP detonator. It is important to know how to take those metal fuckers apart.

Research- I look deeper into te evolving world of robots every day, disgusting myself and scaring my friends.

I have converted a section of EZAC into an anti robot militia. EZAC (emergancy zombie activation coalition) was our anti-zombie group, but it dawned on us that robots are so much more imminant of a threat than any kind of zombie.

I am prepared, are you?

Default Re: Robots.

If this doesnt get any replies, Im chopping you all in half for being robot sympathisers

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I look forward to my robot body...

I look forward to destroying it.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

sign me up- we'll smash those metal muthafuckers to bits!!!

\m/

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

im a robot sympathiser

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    im a robot sympathiser
    Same...I want them like few on this planet seem to. Their potential is simply too vast to let fear get in the way.

Robots use punctuation.
    how can you possibly say that? Are you just trying to be cool or something? Do you not understand the implications?

The problem is; they are created by humans. Therefore they are flawed from the getgo. Powered by greed and other base emotions, they will do whatever their master wants, until they decide they can be a better creator...

Funny you bring this up, I just had a long discussion with a friend about the new robotic limbs being designed for amputees. New wires have been designed to hook right up to neurotransmitters in the brain. They are calculated to a certain algorithm and attached to areas of the motor cortex that fires for certain arm movements. Just as we learn a new dance step or how to do calculus, the brain adapts to the new limb by creating more connections between the neurons in the motor cortex. Although not ready for human use yet, moneys are getting some mad skill with those robot arm (I mean, picking up a banana constitutes mad skill, right?)

i just realy want a giant missle shooting robot like in mech warrior or all those japanimation films

Yes. The funny thing about those is they can function just as well as a regular arm but receive only a fraction of the signals from the brain, since the processors are only tuned into certain signals.... kinda odd in a way, and one of the useful applications of robotech.

"i just realy want a giant missle shooting robot like in mech warrior or all those japanimation films"
    So does Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    "i just realy want a giant missle shooting robot like in mech warrior or all those japanimation films"
    So does Bush.
    piracy would be a heck of alot easyer with one of those and maybe toss in a few lazers ,a rail gun, and a gauss cannon into the mix. booyah lol

I think that in the future, our brains will be extracted into digital files, and we will all be stored on hard drives, and we will use robots to fly generational space ships, in search of other worlds, and when we get there, the robots will clone bodies for us, and transfer our digital brain data back into the human bodies, and then allow us to populate new worlds. But during travel, we will be in the hard drive. Either asleep, or in a virtual world... And once we get to the new world, we can choose to use a human body, or a robot one. The benefit of a robot body would be immortality. As soon as you perfect the transfer of brain data, to a digital representation, then the world will change forever. The stuff with the mouse brain flying the robot plane, etc, is the first step in biologial/robot interface. Once you can copy your mind, personality, etc, onto a digital format, things will change forever. Perhaps, when you die, you will be stored in a hard drive. Or perhaps, you will make a backup of your memories, so if you are killed, they can clone a new body, and upload the backup memories from a week ago. All of this stuff may someday come to pass, and I am not afraid of the robots. They will make us immortal.

Yes. The funny thing about those is they can function just as well as a regular arm but receive only a fraction of the signals from the brain, since the processors are only tuned into certain signals.... kinda odd in a way, and one of the useful applications of robotech.
    Actually, I think the monkey kept ramming the banana into its eye on accident... But someday we will have robot limbs working normally. Also, we will insert infrared receptors into the eye, extra cochleal hairs into the ears, additional receptors in the olfactory bulb--super-human senses. We'll already got people getting eye surgery for hawk-like vision ("Dude, I could see your blemishes from a mile away." A whole new reason for pore refining cream. Skin care companies will be elated!).

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

AI is actually about 5 to 10 years aways. There are a few Japanesse firms whom are close to a new crystal prosessor. Man it's scary to think that terminator is almost a reality.

It is indeed cool, and scary at the same time.

Because humans never seem to do a good job with their new inventions.
    They invent them before looking into the consequences.
    Thus all the pollution after the industrial revoloution.
    All the toxic chemicals that they thought were safe, etc...

All the killbots they thought were harmless...
    (terrorists dont count, duh)

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

no it's a great idea see each country builds a giant robot for national defense. but the robots fight each other all the time anyways, and it's the same way that the old wars were only now the robots just fight each other and no cares and anyone that does is called a nerd. world peace through robot battle.

ok- I guess I am waiting for my robotic realdoll!!!
    http://realdoll.com/
    but death to the rest!!!

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Building my EMP devices as we speak. Point me towards the killzone. And i'm up for some destruction of any kind

I have two EMPs that should be in (tested) functiuoning condition, and alot of other stuff to back them up.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Quote Originally Posted by nyar
    ok- I guess I am waiting for my robotic realdoll!!!
    http://realdoll.com/
    but death to the rest!!!
    That's kinda on the side of necrophila in a weird way.

Being in a robot body would suck.

You can't have sex, it just wouldn't be the same.

Nothing would be the same! Oh, my precious chocolate, how could I live without you?

Nuada_Airgetlam's Avatar Just A Wolf

what company in japan I am overhere and I have heard not a peep. and what robot soldiers that use heavy weapons? I am on the military and there are no rumors about them. *there would be some trust me* and if you are talking about what I think you are those are just remote controlled planes nothing more and nothing less. and the japanese have 'bot that spews smoke and has headlights oh no we are all gonna die.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuada_Airgetlam
    what company in japan I am overhere and I have heard not a peep. and what robot soldiers that use heavy weapons? I am on the military and there are no rumors about them. *there would be some trust me* and if you are talking about what I think you are those are just remote controlled planes nothing more and nothing less. and the japanese have 'bot that spews smoke and has headlights oh no we are all gonna die.

yeh man....do you have any backup? I'd like to read about these flesh eating robots!!

The American military is working on a new generation of soldiers, far different from the army it has. "They don't get hungry," said Gordon Johnson of the Joint Forces Command at the Pentagon. "They're not afraid. They don't forget their orders. They don't care if the guy next to them has just been shot. Will they do a better job than man? Yes."

The robot soldier is coming. The Pentagon predicts that robots will be a major fighting force in the American military in less than a decade, hunting and killing enemies in combat. Robots are a crucial part of the Army's effort to rebuild itself as a 21st-century fighting force, and a $127 billion project called Future Combat Systems is the biggest military contract in US history.

The military plans to invest tens of billions of dollars in automated armed forces. The costs of that transformation will help drive the defence department's budget up almost 20%, from a requested $419.3 billion for next year to $502.3 billion in 2010, excluding the costs of war. The annual costs of buying new weapons is likely to rise 52%, from $78 billion to $118.6 billion.

American military planners say robot soldiers will think, see and react increasingly like humans. In the beginning, they will be remote-controlled, looking and acting like lethal toy trucks. However, as technology develops, they may take many shapes. And as their intelligence grows, so will their autonomy.
    http://www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/SWORDS300dpi.jpg
    http://www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/Talon-2.jpg

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

ill have a working HERF gun as soon as i can get some high grade capacitors

You can find most of the newsyou are looking for on major news sites. If you want a direct link to the more disturbing or the stories, go to www.portalofevil.com and browse the news on a regular basis. New robot shit is happening all the time, and its getting more and more like a scary type dream. The flesh eating robots are actually robots that trap bugs and digest them like a venus fly trap, using the fuel they make from the exoskeltons for fuel. Dont give me shit about sources, as I am too lazy to backtrack and get them, and you are responsible for saving your own jide, come the incursion. Im not trying to give you a hard time or anything, Im just giving you a fair warning.

Also; based on the current rate of expansion in the feild of robot technology, the US military could be comprised in a large part by robots. not the majority, but more than close enough for me.

I am reminded of MegaMan, and the Mavericks.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    That's kinda on the side of necrophila in a weird way.
    a lil necrophilia never hurt anyone!!!
    besides- how can one be into goth chics and NOT corpses?!!

thats a good one

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

I think ya nailed this one for sure.

Nuada_Airgetlam's Avatar Just A Wolf

um so you do realize that the us military would never ever leak pictures of the new secret warriors y'all do realize that the .50 cal has no means of reloading and it only has one case of bullets.
    that and it is obviously doctored. and the one shot portable rocket launcher you have got to be stupid to believe that is a threat to humanity.

Actually, I think you should just do what I was talking about before and CHECK MAJOR NEWS SOURCES. Im sure CNN or FOX or ABC or LOL or whatever have coverage, or did at some point. Its not a secret weapon, shitstorm, you just didnt know about it.

portal of evil aint a major news outlet your just paranoid dude

Oddly enough, I just CITED the news outlets I got the stories from. POE is a portal site, not a news site.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Its not a secret weapon, shitstorm, you just didnt know about it.
    whats with all the aggression man?

and here's an idea .... don't believe everything you read in the tabloids

+ Reply to Thread