+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Artists You Love, Artists You Hate?

Default Artists You Love, Artists You Hate?

I like many , and hate many, but some that I think of right off are:

Love: Forrest Black, Amelia G, H.R. Geiger, Dan Scott, Jes Goodwin(sp), Chris Metzen, Mark Bedford, and many more.

Hate: rauschenberg, mancioni, and a bunch of names I forgot.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Default Re: Artists You Love, Artists You Hate?

Love: Dali, Sas Christian, H.R. Giger, Yoshitaka Amano, Warhol, Lichtenstein, Shag, Tim Biskup, Coop

Hate: nobody really

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Love: Frazetta, Yoshitaka Amano, Puddin' head, Chippy, Many others...

Hate: Horrible pop art or abstract artists(the ohrrible ones, not saying the art genre is horrible by definition)

I HATE the guy that got paid 75,000$ , or Pounds, per can of poop that he made for some Poop Pyramid!

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

LOVE: Mark Ryden, Camille Rose Garcia, Lithium Picnic.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Any particular reason any of you like or hate these artists? Anyone can just name a name...

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Any particular reason any of you like or hate these artists? Anyone can just name a name...
    Well, I hate rauschenburg, because all of his work is a bunch of hack stuff.

He launched his career by erasing a decooning painting or sketch, and got reknown, because people thought it was clever, and avant gaurde ( spelling).

Another reason, is because almost all the stuff he does after, he pays other people to make, and he signs his name to it, and then takes the credit.

That is NOT Art.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

I really like Mark Rothko I consider him to be one of the most important artists of the twentieth Century.

Harry Clark would be my other favorite artist. He illustrated books with Indian ink, notably Poe's Tales Of Mystery And Imagination . Should be interesting for you Goth buffs. He was from my home town so i can see his work first hand. nice.

I'm not sure that I hate any artists. I've never been fond of landscape artists or portrait painters though. I like conceptual work mostly.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Masamune Shirow has been a pretty big influence on my and my own work since I was a kid and saw Dominion on TV...had to know who created that stuff. Once I got into his Appleseed and later Ghost in the Shell...it was hard to really be as amazed with anyone else for quite a few years. When his Intron Depot books started popping up...I was floored. Here was a guy doing stuff so wildly ambitious and ahead of its time that it felt like I was looking at the future of digital and comic art...it's amazing how the industry is STILL trying to catch up to work he did now 15 years ago...

I've never wanted to draw like him or tell the kind of stories he does but I have wanted to push digital and analog art together because of him...currently neck deep in a project like that. His is the work I take off the shelf when things are frustrating or I feel overwhelmed...he has that way of making you see your own art in a new way. Plus I love the anonymity he keeps...gott arespect a guy who's press photo is a cartoon drawing of himself he personally did. His range is insane as an artist...a master of inks, watercolor, and digital mediums...I remember hearing talk about his photoshop files...they are like cryptic hyroglyphics...nearly impossible to "study" but fun to poke around in.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Masamune Shirow has been a pretty big influence on my and my own work since I was a kid and saw Dominion on TV...had to know who created that stuff. Once I got into his Appleseed and later Ghost in the Shell...it was hard to really be as amazed with anyone else for quite a few years. When his Intron Depot books started popping up...I was floored. Here was a guy doing stuff so wildly ambitious and ahead of its time that it felt like I was looking at the future of digital and comic art...it's amazing how the industry is STILL trying to catch up to work he did now 15 years ago...

I've never wanted to draw like him or tell the kind of stories he does but I have wanted to push digital and analog art together because of him...currently neck deep in a project like that. His is the work I take off the shelf when things are frustrating or I feel overwhelmed...he has that way of making you see your own art in a new way. Plus I love the anonymity he keeps...gott arespect a guy who's press photo is a cartoon drawing of himself he personally did. His range is insane as an artist...a master of inks, watercolor, and digital mediums...I remember hearing talk about his photoshop files...they are like cryptic hyroglyphics...nearly impossible to "study" but fun to poke around in.

I don't know nearly as much about animation as i'd like but Peter Chung (of Rug Rats fame) seems really interesting. I've been researching him ever since I saw Matriculated on the Animatrix. Probably my favourite sketch from that series.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Love: luis royo, jeff easly, brom, boris valleijo, julie bell

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    I don't know nearly as much about animation as i'd like but Peter Chung (of Rug Rats fame) seems really interesting. I've been researching him ever since I saw Matriculated on the Animatrix. Probably my favourite sketch from that series.
    I dunno about Peter Chung doing rug rats...at least not to my knowledge...he is more well known for his Aeon FLux and truly AMAZING Reign: The Conquerer series. It's by far the most artistic and oddly "accurate" telling of the Alexander The Great story...Oliver Stone should have watched it. He also dot he Riddick animated flick that ties the game and movie together. He's always been hard to get into at first in terms of his art but once you surrender to it you see how amazingly inventive he is..

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i love ALEX GREY, the most amazing artist ever............think of it as Transcendental art........and being a transcendentalist i love it but i don't know many that don't like it.......

i meet him once at a showing,he's a very nice guy, a little querky,but hey, who isn't.......haha........

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    i love ALEX GREY, the most amazing artist ever............think of it as Transcendental art........and being a transcendentalist i love it but i don't know many that don't like it.......

i meet him once at a showing,he's a very nice guy, a little querky,but hey, who isn't.......haha........

i should also add, the tattoo that wraps around my torso is compleatly inspired by Tool And ALEX GREY..........

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

How could I have forgotten Masamune Shirow. I love his work, I still have his cyber girls 2 portfolio.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

I like:

J.D. Waterhourse, Salvador Dali, Matt Baker, Jack Cole, Edward Gorey, Mike Mignola, Sulamith Wulfing, just for a few that I can think of right now.

I love to hate:

Andy Warhol (God bless him, may be rest in peace)

But, I really think hate is too strong a word in this case, after all, it's art, right?

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

My favorites are mostly the old school "Heavy Metal" artists. They blew me away and still do.

Moebius - his planescapes were always breathtaking
    Libertore - Ranxerox..need i say more
    Pepe Moreno - ultra violent and thought provoking
    plus: Louis royo,Segrelles,Eleuteri Serpieri.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

like : the klf, anyone who can burn a million pounds for art is cool with me

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    My favorites are mostly the old school "Heavy Metal" artists. They blew me away and still do.

Moebius - his planescapes were always breathtaking
    Libertore - Ranxerox..need i say more
    Pepe Moreno - ultra violent and thought provoking
    plus: Louis royo,Segrelles,Eleuteri Serpieri.
    Yeah, Moebius is pretty cool. I recall a Silver Surfer series that Moebius did with Stan Lee. It totally sucked you in from panel to panel. Galactus was huge and evil in that one, dark, but disturbingly technocratic, while being organic.

I like Moreno and Royo too. Actually, there are a ton of Spanish and Latin artists I love. Somethin' about that part of the world, I think.

Bedlamite

Love: Marc Chagall, for the color, composition, and dream-like state. I also love the beauty/pain that comes through his peices. Van Gogh, who's work is perpetually beautiful, and my newly rediscovered passion for Frida's work. I love Expressionism as well.

Hate: About 90% of contemperary art. Sensation is horrible, self-indulgent drivel. The last art show I attended was the Apocalypse show in London. It was a bunch of BS.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    I HATE the guy that got paid 75,000$ , or Pounds, per can of poop that he made for some Poop Pyramid!

WHAT??? Are you serious!!!?

Yeah, I hate scammy stuff like that too. This 5 year old girl is getting paid like $9,000 a painting. She does abstract. I'm sorry I'm not going to pay $9,000 for a large canvas full of fingerpaintings. I'll just have my step nieces and nephews paint on one large canvas, if I want that.

I also saw one guy who bought a wrinkled shirt for $85. The clerk said it was so high because the wrinkles would never come out. He bought the shirt and put it in a frame. He sold it on Ebay as the 2nd highest item in that week. The top item was Johnny Carson's childhood home. People are so stupid and insane.

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    WHAT??? Are you serious!!!?

Yeah, I hate scammy stuff like that too. This 5 year old girl is getting paid like $9,000 a painting. She does abstract. I'm sorry I'm not going to pay $9,000 for a large canvas full of fingerpaintings. I'll just have my step nieces and nephews paint on one large canvas, if I want that.

I also saw one guy who bought a wrinkled shirt for $85. The clerk said it was so high because the wrinkles would never come out. He bought the shirt and put it in a frame. He sold it on Ebay as the 2nd highest item in that week. The top item was Johnny Carson's childhood home. People are so stupid and insane.
    Yeah, and then he got paid LOTS more for making it into forming a Pyramid, for his " Grand Artistic Talents"

What a load of Crap, literally.

Bedlamite

That sort of thing makes me SO sad...
    My work will never be taken seriously....

Sigh...

I need to start out with an artist whos work makes me want to break stuff. I'm sure all of you will agree with me in my dislike for...

Thomas Kinkade the "Painter of Light".
    I just want to choke that douche-bag

I love Mark Ryden & Joe Coleman.
    I also think the unpop art group is delicious (Boyd Rice is a member). unpopart org

+ Reply to Thread