+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lawmaker Seeks to End 'Sexy' Cheerleading

and your little dog too

Default Lawmaker Seeks to End 'Sexy' Cheerleading

from yahoo

By APRIL CASTRO, Associated Press Writer

AUSTIN, Texas - The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House. "And then we say to them, 'don't get involved in sex unless it's marriage or love, it's dangerous out there' and yet the teachers and directors are helping them go through those kind of gyrations."

Under Edwards' bill, if a school district knowingly permits such a performance, funds from the state would be reduced in an amount to be determined by the education commissioner.

Edwards said he filed the bill as a result of several instances of seeing such ribald performances in his district.

J.M. Farias, owner of Austin Cheer Factory, said cheerleading aficionados would welcome the law. Cheering competitions, he said, penalize for suggestive movements or any vulgarity.

"Any coaches that are good won't put that in their routines," he said. And, most girls cheering on Friday nights were trained by professionals who know better, he said.

"I don't think this law would really shake the industry at all. In fact, it would give parents a better feeling, mostly dads and boyfriends, too," Farias said.

Although cheerleaders must meet the same no-pass, no-play academic requirements of athletes, cheerleading is not a competition sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League, the governing body of Texas high school sports.

The UIL also does not have performance regulations for squads who cheer for their teams at state championships, said Athletic Coordinator Peter Contreras.

"I think it should have been cut out a long time ago," Edwards said. "It surely needs to be toned down."

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Default Re: Lawmaker Seeks to End 'Sexy' Cheerleading

Isn't having sexy cheerleaders the only way to get people to watch sports nowadays?

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Isn't having sexy cheerleaders the only way to get people to watch sports nowadays?
    good point but do we need people to watch high school sports?

well...I don't know how it really works. Does the number of people watching a high school sport effect the amount of funding that sport gets for gear? Do the number of people watching the sport effect the way the players play? (do they play better because there are more people there cheering them on?)

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    well...I don't know how it really works. Does the number of people watching a high school sport effect the amount of funding that sport gets for gear? Do the number of people watching the sport effect the way the players play? (do they play better because there are more people there cheering them on?)
    they probably play better but i don't think the other things are factors.

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    they probably play better but i don't think the other things are factors.
    Fair enough. Now just to let you know, I don't think that sexy cheerleaders is a good thing..I'm just making conversation....

So isn't cheerleading...sexy or not...considered it's own sport? Does the sexiness make it less of a sport, or does it just add to the "style" element of the sport?

And texas lays another fine brick on the road to hell. How do you, in terms of a law, define sexual cheering? High kicks? Rotating your hips? Hell that's stuff you learn in first year jazz dance. I guarantee you that the first school that gets poped for this and looses funding will sue the state. Also, there is no real way to enforce arbitrary standards fairly. Some school just beat your son's football team, narc on the cheerleaders for being to sexy.

Finally since it is state funding, it is the schools who rely more on state funding, big urban schools, that will have to follow the rules. Other wise they loose thier history books and computers. I mean how can you preach manogomy to kids when you turn around and fuck the whole school? Sure you shouldn't use chearleaders for high school strippers, but there are much better ways to enforce standards than a state law.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

the problem with this law aside from its outright stupity is that it is entirely subjective. It would be very hard for any group to come up with a consesus on the definition of "sexually suggestive" and would ultimately cause more problems than it solves not that there is any problem to bigin with.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

but i like it when they shake their asses...

At my highschool, around my freshman year, they banned all cheerleaders from wearing their uniforms unless actually at a function, so on spirit day, they had to wear black pants with their cheer top.

Yeah, I've kind of alway thought cheerleaders were the whore's of sports. I had never met an intelligent one, and the ones that I chatted with only talked about parties, drinking, and fucking. I was going to try out in 7th grade to be a cheerleader, but I changed my mind. I'm glad I did.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

...what else can they do?

this is boring... news, news, news, news...

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    this is boring... news, news, news, news...
    Your avatar is so cute!!

3 words.... Bring It On.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

gyrations,aaaaahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

i love it,hahaha.....

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    Your avatar is so cute!!
    Thank you. Your comment made me smile... maybe firsth time today

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

We don't have 'em here... I think it's probably for the best, although I have never actually talked to cheerleader - maybe because I don't use AOL

At my high school they made all the girls sports sexy--the track team got short shorts with barely there tank tops, the volley ball team got short skirts and tiny tops, the tennis team something similar. Yeah, women's sports had a pretty high turn out at my school.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

that's fucking ridiculous.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

the only reason this guys going on about this is course his wifes breaking his balls cause he just loves it, and doing so reminds him that it could easily be his daughter , or niece or whatever, and he just doesn't know how to deal with that , anyway now he realizes he's a peice of shit with no control over anything except creating a law to lead him not into temptation , because he knows he will be

+ Reply to Thread