+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BitTorent

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default BitTorent

Anyone here use BitTorent? If so what do you think of it and what are good sites to download stuff?

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: BitTorent

i use it all the time........for a long time.....

BE CAREFUL......it's being curupted as fast as it's being fixed,and the servers go down all the time.....

you can get some serious shit from bad torrents.......

moslty it's good.........

i'll add more later,or just PM me, i gotta go..........

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I use to use a ton when supernova was up...have not used it in a long time though. Their is a P2P style app that was made by the guys who ran Supernova...it's kind of like a Kazza for Bit Torrent files. Have not used it yet but I like the idea.

the_plague's Avatar Satanic Guitar

i use it all the time..for anime downloads. no complaints so far.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

I still get a lot of stuff off of BT from a couple private forums, and from tvtorrents.tv, which is a very nice way to keep up on shows you've missed.

I love Bittorerent, (I actually use the program BitTornado,) and my favorite place to get stuff is EliteTorrents, which is invite only. I might have a few invites, if someone needs them.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    I love Bittorerent, (I actually use the program BitTornado,) and my favorite place to get stuff is EliteTorrents, which is invite only. I might have a few invites, if someone needs them.
    Well gosh, I wouldn't argue. 8)

the_plague's Avatar Satanic Guitar

invite me please cheinara...i use bittornado...it's nice to be able to download, surf and listen to music all at once. i'm just an internet junkie.

I'm an internet junkie, too.

Which is why it hurts my heart to see that EliteTorrents is down right now. >_< They'll be back up in a "bit", they say. Fortunatly, they haven't gone the way of supernova YET. I miss supernova. :'(

Funny, I met the creator of BT this week in Austin. seemed too smart for me.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon
    Funny, I met the creator of BT this week in Austin. seemed too smart for me.
    Hahah yeah it would take some serious smarts to create such a "thing" so to speak. Quite a revolutionary little creation though since it has allowed bigger files to be shared much easier and faster than before. It was such a great idea of downloading in bits and peices to make up a hole as opposed to the whole thing in sequence.

Come in handy to find some pretty hard to find info, books, art scans, and assorted oddness.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

I must be pretty stupid but i havent a clue what bittorent is...can someone message me and fill me in...please??

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Default Re: BitTorrent

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    I must be pretty stupid but i havent a clue what bittorent is...can someone message me and fill me in...please??
    imagine you had a book you wanted to give to a hundred of your best friends. and they all had photocopiers. so you start tearing pages out of the book, copying them with your own photocopier and handing them out, a different page to each friend.

then they copy the page they have and start handing the copies to the other friends. everyone keeps swapping pages and copying what they have until everyone has a complete copy of the book.

like that. except the computer does it for you, and you don't have to tear up the book.

CarnalxKiss's Avatar Carnal Love Goddess

awesome....so you share book pages with each other until you've a whole...?what do you use to read them...acobe acrobat or sumthing?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

actually its usually done on the computer with videos pr mp3s but sheramils analogy was very good

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalxKiss
    awesome....so you share book pages with each other until you've a whole...?what do you use to read them...acobe acrobat or sumthing?

sorry, i was being all metaphorical.

computer files are like long lists of numbers. for example, i ripped^H^H^HBACKED UP the DVD of "I, Robot" a few days ago, and ended up with a file called "I_Robot.avi" which has 2,472,187,904 numbers in it (the first number was 82, and the last was 0).

standard ways of copying this file over the net generally start at the top of the list and send the numbers down the line one after the other, until it gets to the end.

if i wanted to send a copy of I_Robot.avi to everyone on Blueblood, i'd have to shovel the numbers down the line from start to end for each person.

bittorrent divides the file up into chunks and throws the chunks overboard, more or less at random, to the people receiving. then while the chunks are arriving, they can sort out amongst themselves which chunks they need, and which chunks they have to give away.

bittorrenting doesn't make it go faster if i'm sending to one or two people, but when there's dozens, or hundreds, then there's more chunks to share - you're downloading it from anyone who has even one or two chunks, and not just me.

someone once described it as "you stand a better chance of getting laid at an orgy."

+ Reply to Thread