+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Dilbert Cartoon Ever and Why You Can Speak Your Mind in the Blue Blood Community

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Best Dilbert Cartoon Ever and Why You Can Speak Your Mind in the Blue Blood Community

I have found this attitude insanely pervasive on the net and one of my top goals with the Blue Blood boards is to provide a venue for people to discuss ideas and exchange viewpoints without every damn interaction becoming a jihad.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Best Dilbert Cartoon Ever and Why You Can Speak Your Mind in the Blue Blood Community

love it. gonna print that one and sen d it to my mother.she puts cartons just like that all over her office to piss off her co-workers.........

and i think that attitude is more than an internet thing i see that everywhere.HATE IT.......

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Best Dilbert Cartoon Ever and Why You Can Speak Your Mind in the Blue Blood Community

I think it's too late to stop the pirate/ninja jihad.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I think it's too late to stop the pirate/ninja jihad.
    Is it a Jihad? I always thought they were career choices

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

The whole society is becoming more agonistic and hyperbolic.

OEC

wathever oec

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    The whole society is becoming more agonistic and hyperbolic.

OEC

oh you,....always makin' things waaay smarter than they probally should be...... .....

Default Re: Best Dilbert Cartoon Ever and Why You Can Speak Your Mind in the Blue Blood Commu

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    oh you,....always makin' things waaay smarter than they probally should be...... .....
    Me? nah. You said it better.

OEC

Default Re: Best Dilbert Cartoon Ever and Why You Can Speak Your Mind in the Blue Blood Commu

i'm with OEC. society is drowning in petty hatreds. it shows more clearly on the Net because the consequences are so discreet; you don't have to see the anger, pain and bitterness you cause, and there's very little in the way of reprisals available - they can't even force you to listen to their response. Why bother trying to argue round to a conclusion and - Horror!- Risk having your beliefs challenged when you can get a far more chathartic and self-affirming experience just ripping into youy opponents with a mindless tirade?

Bring back Pistols at Dawn! give everyone a basic weapons training as part of their education and allow lisenced duelling! make people take responsibility for their words and opinions and just maybe think before mouthing off.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Maybe cause I've never really worked in an office...that this goes right over my head...like that BBC show The Office.

I get what's said and all...but I just can't see to go HA HA...still one has to wonder if taking up sides is all that bad. Keeps things interesting. Things can get heated but do any go beyond that? (outside of Korean MMORPG players that is...they are fucking insane. They are bad enough that cops call it Offline PKing...when players take in game disagreements and settle it in the real word with fights and such.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Maybe cause I've never really worked in an office...that this goes right over my head...like that BBC show The Office.

I get what's said and all...but I just can't see to go HA HA...still one has to wonder if taking up sides is all that bad. Keeps things interesting. Things can get heated but do any go beyond that? (outside of Korean MMORPG players that is...they are fucking insane. They are bad enough that cops call it Offline PKing...when players take in game disagreements and settle it in the real word with fights and such.)
    I find that in a lot of places online, there is sort of only one accepted worldview. Like you have to be totally for or against everything within the belief set of whatever worldview is supposed to be there. And you will be totally digitally wolfpacked if you express the slightest opposing pro or con on any topic. That is what this cartoon made me think of anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I find that in a lot of places online, there is sort of only one accepted worldview. Like you have to be totally for or against everything within the belief set of whatever worldview is supposed to be there. And you will be totally digitally wolfpacked if you express the slightest opposing pro or con on any topic. That is what this cartoon made me think of anyway.

and apparently if you don't chose a "side" than your a uneducated dumbfuck..........makes absolutly no since....it really carries through everything ,like everything is a presidential debate, i think that applies to most of the changes alot in people as well as the "pro/anti revolution" as i call it...... think about when we were kids did any of us say we were "Pro" something or "anti" something. this was a change n culture or something over the last years that is nothing but bad...and i see nothing good coming from it. if you think about it's the exact reason why wars and all that other bad shit happens and since the above memtioned "revolution"..what do we have ,more war/hate,ect,ect.........

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I've always thought that was the case due to the fact many online communities are started and made up of people with like minded world views. It's rare to find places with heavily mixed ideas or interests since nearly all online communities are built on something that ties them together directly...you really don't see places of totally diffrent types of people coming together.

I've always thought that was the case due to the fact many online communities are started and made up of people with like minded world views. It's rare to find places with heavily mixed ideas or interests since nearly all online communities are built on something that ties them together directly...you really don't see places of totally diffrent types of people coming together.

I agree that communities will come together based on certain commonalities, but I've found, at least in my experience, that online communities tend to be much more hostile to anyone speaking anything but essentially the party line.

Like if you go to a certain nightclub, there may be people who always complain when Sisters of Mercy is played and who also always dance when Sisters is played. So the DJ plays them because they get people dancing but it is a social norm to complain about it. But if someone points out the conflict there, it is not that big a deal. Or at least, offline, people used to be able to laugh at that sort of thing.

I find that, as the internet has become a more popular medium, both online and off, people are far less likely to discuss ideas and exchange perspectives. Instead, they just regurgitate the view that they think their sort of type of person should hold. It is a move towards a culture of soundbites and, not only inability to think critically, but lack of desire to think critically.

If someone says anything indicating a simple open mind, then they get jumped all over.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Azekiel
    ...Bring back Pistols at Dawn! give everyone a basic weapons training as part of their education and allow lisenced duelling! make people take responsibility for their words and opinions and just maybe think before mouthing off.
    Great, I can see it now. Every single day...

Jimmy Ringo: How come I've got to run into a squirt like you nearly every place I go these days? What are you trying to do? Show off for your friends?

Yeah. As much as the idea of cleaning up the gene pool one life at a time appeals, i expect i'd get tidied away pretty soon myself. still, some way of punnishing the worst offenders would be good. Maybe making Cheauvanism (dogmatic belief in a cause, right or wrong, NOT suppression of women)
    (ok, maybe both) a crime ultimately punnishable by death?

you know what amelia? i'm tired of your bullshit. all your little pictures... ooh ohh you take light and put it on paper. that's so stupid. I am so opposed to that. I can't tolerate you or your radical world views. why don't you make some sand art? that's respectible. there's just no compormise in this situation.

you ever get anyone like that? the internet is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    you know what amelia? i'm tired of your bullshit. all your little pictures... ooh ohh you take light and put it on paper. that's so stupid. I am so opposed to that. I can't tolerate you or your radical world views. why don't you make some sand art? that's respectible. there's just no compormise in this situation.

you ever get anyone like that? the internet is funny.

Great comic. I distrust anyone who is certain that they are RIGHT. The world is grey. People that scream about black and white are missing the point.

Bedlamite

I agree that communities will come together based on certain commonalities, but I've found, at least in my experience, that online communities tend to be much more hostile to anyone speaking anything but essentially the party line.
    Agreed, in most of the greater online community, hostillity is the unifying factor. This is one of two message boards I can actually post on without being jumped all over, or picked at until I feel like I never want human interaction again.....

Like if you go to a certain nightclub, there may be people who always complain when Sisters of Mercy is played and who also always dance when Sisters is played. So the DJ plays them because they get people dancing but it is a social norm to complain about it. But if someone points out the conflict there, it is not that big a deal. Or at least, offline, people used to be able to laugh at that sort of thing.
    Which is NOT the case with my local scene, as everyone is very verbal and confrontational about what goth is, and should you disagree with them, they will attack you like rabid dogs....Which is upsetting....

I do agree that it seems like most people have gotten more hostile in general in the last few years.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Now I know what dilbert feels like at my work.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon
    Great comic. I distrust anyone who is certain that they are RIGHT. The world is grey. People that scream about black and white are missing the point.
    Well put on all accounts, too many sheep people. Ahh well can't kill'em, can't eat them.

who says?

I love dilbert. I used to work for my dad's company coding websites and what not, and BOY do I know how dilbert feels.

I find that, as the internet has become a more popular medium, both online and off, people are far less likely to discuss ideas and exchange perspectives. Instead, they just regurgitate the view that they think their sort of type of person should hold. It is a move towards a culture of soundbites and, not only inability to think critically, but lack of desire to think critically.

If someone says anything indicating a simple open mind, then they get jumped all over.
    That's an understatement, if anything. The only interesting aspect is the degree of slander and libel. You just can't personalize any of it.

-- It is a move towards a culture of soundbites and, not only inability to think critically, but lack of desire to think critically. --

Exactly. The level of discourse online is pathetic. Ultimately, it is only useful to help develop a more stoical approach towards your critics.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon
    The world may be grey but their are situations that break down to right and wrong...like most violent crimes. The reasons that lead to them may be grey but the actions are not.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

yeh this speaks volumes.
    Thats why i think in certain situations apathy will make the world a better or more safer place.
    Like in Northern Ireland, if the situation is solved i feel sure that it will eventually be because people just aren't interested in spreading their territorial dispute shit all over the place anymore and just want to get on with their lives. People who see the world in monochrome are stuck in a medieval mindset.

why choose left or right, catholic or protestant when you can choose peace?

The world may be grey but their are situations that break down to right and wrong...like most violent crimes. The reasons that lead to them may be grey but the actions are not.
    it is in the public interest to distinguish between right and wrong in these cases.
    But even in the case of violent crime it is still a matter of debate whether or not the distinction really exists.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    it is in the public interest to distinguish between right and wrong in these cases.
    But even in the case of violent crime it is still a matter of debate whether or not the distinction really exists.
    I dunno...some cases make it pretty easy. Like most cases involving child molesters and child killers...kinda hard to not see that as clearly wrong. Take bigger crimes like Nazi death camps...I don't think everything is as easily defined but at least in my eyes such crimes are dead wrong.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by 23*

why choose left or right, catholic or protestant when you can choose peace?
    Thing is their are people out there who do not want peace in any form...they thrive on conflict, death, suffering, and violence. They do what is needed to cause it or help it along...usually because it's in their interest to do so.

Peace and love is a nice ideal and noble to persue...yet war and hate is simple and in many cases profitable and necessary. Much like warlords in Africa who fight and create instability for their grand plans where they are at the center of control...you see people like that in all walks of life.

you see people like that in all walks of life.

I say we KILL THEM ALL!! MWahahahhaahhaha

Thing is their are people out there who do not want peace in any form...they thrive on conflict, death, suffering, and violence. They do what is needed to cause it or help it along...usually because it's in their interest to do so.

Peace and love is a nice ideal and noble to persue...yet war and hate is simple and in many cases profitable and necessary. Much like warlords in Africa who fight and create instability for their grand plans where they are at the center of control...you see people like that in all walks of life.

I think that some of the modes of discourse which are becoming more popular indicate a growing culture of conflict. There are probably those who gain at least social status from this sort of dogmatic hostility, but I have to say that it really turns me off. Some people must be working very hard to influence those around them to communicate in soundbites and hostile absolutes, but a lot of people are just either conforming because it is easier than thinking or being frustrated into silence as to what they really think.

I think it is worthwhile for the betterment of both personal lives and the greater good to be able to examine things. Although it is an extreme example, I think most people here would agree that violent crimes are bad, but a closer examination would probably demonstrate wildly different definitions of violent crime. If it is taboo to say there are pros and cons in a situation, then it is impossible to examine a thing in enough detail to improve it, stop it, fix it, make it better.

I think that some of the modes of discourse which are becoming more popular indicate a growing culture of conflict. There are probably those who gain at least social status from this sort of dogmatic hostility, but I have to say that it really turns me off. Some people must be working very hard to influence those around them to communicate in soundbites and hostile absolutes, but a lot of people are just either conforming because it is easier than thinking or being frustrated into silence as to what they really think.

I think it is worthwhile for the betterment of both personal lives and the greater good to be able to examine things. Although it is an extreme example, I think most people here would agree that violent crimes are bad, but a closer examination would probably demonstrate wildly different definitions of violent crime. If it is taboo to say there are pros and cons in a situation, then it is impossible to examine a thing in enough detail to improve it, stop it, fix it, make it better.
    Conversely, I believe that one of the major societal factors that leads to violence is the demonization of elements of the human psyche. People will feel angry and/or alienated in a society which seems to have no cohesion. There has to be more constructive ways to deal with these emotions. Children are given very little by way of an education that will allow them to deal with the world as it is.

A point is reached where people can no longer be helped. An entire category of sexual offenders has emerged whom are ultimately walking timebombs. Regardless of the societal failings inherent to a lot of crimes, at some point it does become black and white.

Hostility in society is fermented by fearmongers who seek influence and power. The problem being that a hostile society will experience more and more depraved acts of violence. At this point, people who have been effected (including myself) are forced to turn our rage outward. The best you can do is to try to live a life of serenity whilst at the same time being cognizant of and effecting change in society as it stands. The same person will tend to become both a warrior and a pacifist given the current state of affairs.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread