+ Reply to Thread

Thread: would you appear portraying a wife beater in an anti abuse ad campaign?

and your little dog too

Default would you appear portraying a wife beater in an anti abuse ad campaign?

from yahoo

Models Who Posed as Wife Beaters Sue Over Ads

Wed Mar 30,10:11 AM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Four male models who appeared in an ad campaign against domestic violence are suing New York City, saying the posters stayed up beyond the agreed time, leading people to think they really were wife beaters.

Christopher Dorm, Triple Edwards, Daniel Royer and Javier Velarde appeared in posters throughout the city to promote awareness of domestic violence. The men were pictured behind bars with captions such as "Successful executive. Devoted churchgoer. Abusive husband."

The four agreed to the October 2002 photo shoot on the condition that the ads be posted only in New York City buses and subways and be taken down after five weeks, the lawsuit says. They were each paid between $1,500 to $2,000.

But the posters stayed up until at least August 2003 and appeared in several locations, including police stations and charities, said Jeffrey Pagano, the lawyer who filed the suit in Manhattan Supreme Court on March 23.

The models are seeking $1 million each in damages.

"This is a public service that's gone sideways," Pagano said on Tuesday. "It's turned into a horror show."

Copies of the posters were so widespread for so long, that friends of the models believed the men had been arrested and were actual "women beaters," according to the lawsuit.

The city's legal department said it has sent notification to remove any ads that may still be up.

"The City was not privy to the fact that there was any time limit on the ads. Moreover, the models had agreed to be portrayed as domestic abusers as part of the City's campaign against such conduct," said Jonathan Becker, New York City's deputy chief of commercial and real estate litigation.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: would you appear portraying a wife beater in an anti abuse ad campaign?

I'd have to read the contract. I imagine that it sure would suck though.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: would you appear portraying a wife beater in an anti abuse ad campaign?

No way. Even the terms they agreed to are absurd.

OEC

and your little dog too

if i were a male i would hate for people to think i was a wife beater but i do not see what difference the timeline makes. i would hate for people to think that no matter what.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    if i were a male i would hate for people to think i was a wife beater but i do not see what difference the timeline makes. i would hate for people to think that no matter what.

I think an agreement is an agreement though. If a timeline was in the contract, and that timeline was exceeded, then there is room for some sort of argument. A million for hurting their reputation is a bit of a stretch though, since they seem to have explicitly agreed to hurt their reputation in the first place.

I'd never do it just on general principle. They should put up actual abusers instead of actors.

OEC

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I'd never do it just on general principle. They should put up actual abusers instead of actors.

OEC
    that is a good idea to introduce a real shame factor.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat

OEC
    yeah but a real abuser wouldnt go for that thats why they use models

And the models didn't say "Hey, guys, due date's up, gotta get 'em down."?

Looks like they just stayed quiet for the mill.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

Wow... what a bunch of assholes. I would do what they did in a heartbeat, and most likely for free, just to help people out... ugh, I suppose friends of models are the only people stupid enough to see a friend in an ad campaign and actually think it was real. Think if they were friends with victorias secret models;
    "Holy shit, Emma! I didnt know you were a fucking ANGEL!?!?!?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    yeah but a real abuser wouldnt go for that thats why they use models
    It could be part of their punishment. As it stands, another category of abusers is subject to being published on a database, publicized, and tracked. (I'm avoiding using the term for obvious reasons)

OEC

that is a good idea to introduce a real shame factor.
    It is already done to another category of abusers (as well it should)

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    Wow... what a bunch of assholes. I would do what they did in a heartbeat, and most likely for free, just to help people out... ugh, I suppose friends of models are the only people stupid enough to see a friend in an ad campaign and actually think it was real. Think if they were friends with victorias secret models;
    "Holy shit, Emma! I didnt know you were a fucking ANGEL!?!?!?!?"

AHAHAHAHAHA

+ Reply to Thread