+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Online Gamer Stabbed for Selling Cyber-Saber

and your little dog too

Default Online Gamer Stabbed for Selling Cyber-Saber

from yahoo

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Shanghai online game player stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber-sword, the China Daily said Wednesday, creating a dilemma in China where no law exists for the ownership of virtual weapons.

Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his "dragon saber," used in the popular online game, "Legend of Mir 3," the newspaper said a Shanghai court was told Tuesday.

"Legend of Mir 3" features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

Qiu and a friend jointly won their weapon last February, and lent it to Zhu who then sold it for 7,200 yuan (US$870), the newspaper said.

Qui went to the police to report the "theft" but was told the weapon was not real property protected by law.

"Zhu promised to hand over the cash but an angry Qui lost patience and attacked Zhu at his home, stabbing him in the left chest with great force and killing him," the court was told.

The newspaper did not specify the charge against Qiu but said he had given himself up to police and already pleaded guilty to "intentional injury."

No verdict has been announced.

More and more online gamers were seeking justice through the courts over stolen weapons and credits, the newspaper said.

"The armor and swords in games should be deemed as private property as players have to spend money and time for them," Wang Zongyu, an associate law professor at Beijing's Renmin University of China, was quoted as saying.

But other experts are calling for caution. "The 'assets' of one player could mean nothing to others as they are by nature just data created by game providers," a lawyer for a Shanghai-based Internet game company was quoted as saying.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Online Gamer Stabbed for Selling Cyber-Saber

i'm so confused. it's too early in the morning for this.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Yeah I read about this...not the first time it's happened in an asian MMORPG..

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Yeah I read about this...not the first time it's happened in an asian MMORPG..
    I can back that claim up.
    Not that it's limited to Asain ones, though. Just seems that since they are more centered on gaming, they'd take it more seriously.

It makes a little more sense if you remove the trivialities of the situation. Two men worked together on a project, while handling the assets of the project one of the men sold the assets, valued at $870. The other man went to the police and they said, sorry you buddy stole a few hundred dollars from you, but there is nothing we can do, and your hobbies are stupid.

This is not about a video game causing violence, theft cause violence. Imagine if the two spent the same time coming up with a formula for better tasting cheereos or refurbshing a car. While technically neither of them created or owned the virtual property, the guy who sold the sword stil betrayed the friend who had as much right to it as he did. Not that this warrented being stabbed to death, but the video game angle is just dressing. The sword itself was likely less important than the betrayal and the impotence the man faced in the situation.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

wow some people need to go outside into the real world more often

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

................................... gamers scare me sometime

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    ................................... gamers scare me sometime
    We're not that bad, there's some extremists, just like in any group.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    I can back that claim up.
    Not that it's limited to Asain ones, though. Just seems that since they are more centered on gaming, they'd take it more seriously.
    I was referring more to the culture of asian MMORPG's..the level of violence offline is pretty strong. They've had similar problems in S.Korea with Lineage 1 & 2 as well as numerous other games in the genre...

It's not too common in western MMORPG's...most of the "violence" ends up occuring only in game. You screw someone in game they tend to keep it IN GAME...

I don't think it has anything to do specifically with Asians or Asian culture...just the level of competition and seriousness that revolves around those particular games.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    We're not that bad
    Oh yes we are lol. Gamers tale a lot of shit in daily life but if you bring that same kinda grief into their gaming...holy hell will be payed.

My younger cousin during the Pokemon days use to make fun of this kid who ALWAYS played that game. Others did too...well my cousin got the bright idea to take his game to make him cry.

He didn't cry.

My cousin came home looking like he got attacked by a lion. Serves him right though...I still make fun of him for that...eheheheh

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Oh yes we are lol. Gamers tale a lot of shit in daily life but if you bring that same kinda grief into their gaming...holy hell will be payed.

My younger cousin during the Pokemon days use to make fun of this kid who ALWAYS played that game. Others did too...well my cousin got the bright idea to take his game to make him cry.

He didn't cry.

My cousin came home looking like he got attacked by a lion. Serves him right though...I still make fun of him for that...eheheheh
    Well, I'd never stab someone. ;P Unless they threatened family or close friends.

long pig's Avatar Junior Member

I think it's been scientifically proven that nerds are more prone to irrational outbursts of violence than non-nerds.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

that must have been one kick ass sword to kill someone, unless it was the one sword to rule them all

+ Reply to Thread