+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you too punk rock to be successful?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Are you too punk rock to be successful?

I've been thinking about the fact that in times of personal improvement I tend to blow my dough helping other people making cool projects, instead of taking care of myself. I think this is because I am scared of improving my situation. I identify as disenfranchised, so I have trouble reaping the rewards of success and then I get all strung out from overwork.

I think the dot com boom put a lot of $$$ in the pockets of people with funny haircuts and inappropriate wardrobes. But how many bought better lives with houses, cars, health insurance, and retirement plans? And how many spent it bankrolling band tours and zines or on latex couture for friendly strippers or on booze and drugs for fifty or so of their closest personal friends?

I'm doing research for an article on this because it is very very very much on my mind at the moment.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

Default Re: Are you too punk rock to be successful?

I wish i had experience of that - i'd like to think that if i had the money i would help fund peoples projects, but i don't honestly know. i got sacked again today, so another god knows how long of sidestepping bailiffs awaits. i'm so annoyed - i broke wind during a training session and basically hid my face in embarrasment and the clients thought i had dozed off. bye bye vixta.

Quote Originally Posted by vixta
    I wish i had experience of that - i'd like to think that if i had the money i would help fund peoples projects, but i don't honestly know. i got sacked again today, so another god knows how long of sidestepping bailiffs awaits. i'm so annoyed - i broke wind during a training session and basically hid my face in embarrasment and the clients thought i had dozed off. bye bye vixta.
    Oh that totally sucks. Good luck finding a new thing. What kind of stuff do you do, if you don't mind my asking? (Totally okay if you'd rather not say.)

The thing about funding projects is that freaky money tends not to last, but, when you are used to being poor and you start making some cash, you don't miss it so much when you kind of give it away. Then, when things are harder for you again, you might expect people to return the favor, but the world apparently tends not to be much like that. Sometimes, but not much.

Then again I'm really proud of some of the photographic work and zines I produced, but I'm a little dismayed that I didn't do things like go to the dentist properly and that sort of thing. And I am still -- knock on wood -- able to sometimes come to the aid of a friend who needs their rent covered so they won't be evicted. Unfortunately three people asked me to do that last month and I could only cover one, but that's another story...

Jozie's Avatar Senior Member

I grew up with no money, so having money was never really a goal, I didn't view it as possible, I just wanted to be able to take care of myself. But as time goes and the harder I work to get ahead the more I want to get that house, get that car, and not just blow it on funding someone elses dream. These days I am financially supporting my mother and younger sister, I can no longer help put out another EP, throw another fest, these things are not going to help those I love. Over the last few years, I've come to realize I've got an alpha (a-type) personality, something I think you need if you want to work in an extremely competitive field. I've taken the punk rock ethics I grew up with, and keep them with me today, I work hard as hell for everything I've got, but Im not about to throw it away anymore for other people. I'll sacrifice for those that are dearest to me- but no more getting my hydro cut off just cause I funded another persons dream. Being thanked on a CD insert just doesn't pay the bills, and buy my sister new shoes. I'll keep being a tattooed perv, but when I throw a suit on- the 'suits' don't know nothing.

I don't care about fitting the mold- being punk rock and being successful can walk hand in hand.

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

The only thing left about me that's punk rock is the fact that I've wasted my life. I cling to that.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

What rocks is that I just got a job where I can wear whatever I want and I get to do something I love. I took a huge chance by walking out on a corporate job that I had for almost six years to get it. Sometimes you have to follow your heart. Ask yourself, is money and success worth losing my identity over? I guess it's different for everyone though.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Judy
    The only thing left about me that's punk rock is the fact that I've wasted my life. I cling to that.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Oh that totally sucks. Good luck finding a new thing. What kind of stuff do you do, if you don't mind my asking? (Totally okay if you'd rather not say.)
    Clerical bullshit - and customer services blah blah.so much fun ooh yeah.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Quote Originally Posted by vixta
    Clerical bullshit - and customer services blah blah.so much fun ooh yeah.
    Wish I had learned how much I hate it before I went to school for it!

By the way, when I had money, I was way into telling bosses off. Now that I don't I find it really hard to keep my mouth shut when I encounter an incredible ass at my first interview!

+ Reply to Thread