View Poll Results: Do you shop at Hot Topic?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I shop there all the time

0 0%
  • I go in there every now and again.

18 36.73%
  • God I hate that store it is the incarnation of pure evil.

23 46.94%
  • Never heard of it/dont care

8 16.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hot Topic

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Hot Topic

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    I tottaly agree BTW i know this is way off topic your posts seem to be kinda agry lately i just wanted to point that out somewhere um yeah...

Hahahaha... yeah, well, I guess I'm just a grumpy old man at heart.

I'm genuinely disappointed in the state of the cool nation. Subcultures I cared about have taken the poison pills and accepted that which would destroy them. It seems we've lost our vigilance and so we've lost our liberty. Spencer Gifts is not a lifestyle.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Hahahaha... yeah, well, I guess I'm just a grumpy old man at heart.

I'm genuinely disappointed in the state of the cool nation. Subcultures I cared about have taken the poison pills and accepted that which would destroy them. It seems we've lost our vigilance and so we've lost our liberty. Spencer Gifts is not a lifestyle.
    yeah good point someone needs to get out there and start kicking some ass.

Here is an example of an easy and cheaper way around going there, and also some similar stuff:

hot topic= a single bracelet or belt buckle = 20 to 30$
    Wal-Mart fake leather, or cloth with glittery sequins, etc= 5$ per yard.

So you can either take the sewing kit, and material, and make something cool, and truly unique to show your individuality, or goto that store, get treated extremely rudely if they even bother to wait on you, and then throw your money into the garbage on a bracelet thats going to break in a month or so, unless you are incredibly careful with it.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Here is an example of an easy and cheaper way around going there, and also some similar stuff:

Well...given I had to buy a belt I scored one from Hot Topic...it was only $17...belt buckles range from $17 to $26.

Not too bad really. I usually buy buckles online though...you find the weirdest stuff that way.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Don't you think it might be a reasonable position to hold people accountable for supporting that then?
    but honestly, how can you?

I use the example once more of Walmart because it seems to be the penutlimate example of capitalism in action and that new mentality of business marketing in america that Hot Topic follows along on it's heels-Gothmart...

but anyways, Everyone I know shops at walmart, and most of them work at the companies that are being put out of business By walmart. The reason for that is because these companies have to offer competition or get shut down so they will maintain that by selling higher quality goods and people know that and will be willing to spend a little more... however they have to make cut backs some how and that means taking away benefits and paying thier employees less, which leaves those people to shop where? the cheapest palce in town- walmart. and they say, hey if my company doesn't give a shit about me, why should I not shop where it's cheaper? That's just the vicious economic cycle that we all play a part in and it's not going to end unless we radically change our thoughts of what being succesfful means. Now I've done my part on here to try and convince people that being filthy rich isn't the greatest thing in the world, but most people don't really want to hear that, so I'm afriad business is going to continue as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    on an unrelated note isn't it funny that so many adults critisize kids for "not caring about anything" while most people consider maturity to be the very same thing. I hear so many people talk about "angst filled" youth, and "I remember when I was rebellous" as if not getting upset about your situation in life, becoming complacent and docile is a sign of being grown up. who's the real "aware" person here? sometimes I wonder...

Just as a side note, yeah, I think you nailed this one right on the head and wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you voicing this observation. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    yeah those green ones are cool you can still buy those too sometimes because the air force still uses them i think. im just used to the camo ones because they where are uniform at millitary school i have one i made into a vest with a bunch af anti bush buttons and a big three inches of blood back patch that i stapled on its bad ass
    I love you, man.

Thunderbird is cheaper than any good bottle of wine, but there has been a culture created that perhaps rightfully associates thunderbird with being a bum. You can avoid lowest common denominator with culture.

Also,

pe·nul·ti·mate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-nlt-mt) adj.
    1. Next to last.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I use the example once more of Walmart because it seems to be the penutlimate example of capitalism in action and that new mentality of business marketing in america that Hot Topic follows along on it's heels-Gothmart...

but anyways, Everyone I know shops at walmart, and most of them work at the companies that are being put out of business By walmart. The reason for that is because these companies have to offer competition or get shut down so they will maintain that by selling higher quality goods and people know that and will be willing to spend a little more... however they have to make cut backs some how and that means taking away benefits and paying thier employees less, which leaves those people to shop where? the cheapest palce in town- walmart. and they say, hey if my company doesn't give a shit about me, why should I not shop where it's cheaper? That's just the vicious economic cycle that we all play a part in and it's not going to end unless we radically change our thoughts of what being succesfful means. Now I've done my part on here to try and convince people that being filthy rich isn't the greatest thing in the world, but most people don't really want to hear that, so I'm afriad business is going to continue as usual.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with striving for success. Striving is a good thing and so is success, but part of being successful is being able to look yourself in the mirror as you progress.

There is a big difference between cultivating the land successfully and strip mining. I feel that companies like Hot Topic strip mine my community and make it difficult for anything genuine to survive in their wake. The punk rock boutiques were important to the culture people dressed like that to participate in. After Hot Topic kills off the subcultures they first gained success by mining, they will move on to the next thing to stay extremely profitable and leave scorched earth behind them where nothing can grow.

I've had some pretty rotten employers over the years. I still don't have health insurance. And I now avoid shopping at Walmart like I avoid shopping at Hot Topic. My candidate does not always win, but I still vote. Anyone who truly believes that nothing they do matters might as well not bother breathing and see how that works out.

Just as a side note, yeah, I think you nailed this one right on the head and wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you voicing this observation. Thanks.
    aw. thanks. I appreciate you too adding a little more analitical points to the discussions, not that there's anything wrong with simply saying yeah I like HT, or No, I don't, but it's just the more preferable for me to drone on and bore some of you. haha. go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I don't think there is anything wrong with striving for success.
    neither do I, but I also think that an economic system which alienates it's workers and destroys the means of production is fundementally useless and can only lead to catastrophy. Sucess is one thing, Greed at the expense of everyone else is another. as you said being able to look at yourself in the mirror, and isn't that in the end the real measure of sucess above any proft margin?

neither do I, but I also think that an economic system which alienates it's workers and destroys the means of production is fundementally useless and can only lead to catastrophy. Sucess is one thing, Greed at the expense of everyone else is another. as you said being able to look at yourself in the mirror, and isn't that in the end the real measure of sucess above any proft margin?
    Cultural strip mining is destructive, while committed long standing fixtures in a given community frequently act as the the very backbone or center of strength for that community. So, although both may be profit motivated, one is good for the group it supports while the other is simply a predator. Should we not support the pillars of our culture and avoid the predators? You are correct, capitalism is not automatically blind greed, totally lacking responsibility, so I think we should reward those that deserve it and perhaps scorn those that betray the cause.

I think honestly culture is a word that's thrown around too much. it's a word for anthropologists when they are look abjectively at things. I feel that most people don't define themselves as thier culture, even if thier culture claims to define them. most people are just people and at a glance it may seem they are playing a part, but what really matters is the motivation behind that part, which may put them into an entire other culture that merely isn't witnessed. I think there's also a danger in cultures as a seperationist attitude, which is the situation I placed reguarding micro and macrocosm. people sometimes forget that while two cultures may be different, I think they are are still motivated toawrd the same end, and at least exist in the same environment. Like it or not Global thinking is going to have to come into play sooner than later.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I think honestly culture is a word that's thrown around too much. it's a word for anthropologists when they are look abjectively at things. I feel that most people don't define themselves as thier culture, even if thier culture claims to define them. most people are just people and at a glance it may seem they are playing a part, but what really matters is the motivation behind that part, which may put them into an entire other culture that merely isn't witnessed. I think there's also a danger in cultures as a seperationist attitude, which is the situation I placed reguarding micro and macrocosm. people sometimes forget that while two cultures may be different, I think they are are still motivated toawrd the same end, and at least exist in the same environment. Like it or not Global thinking is going to have to come into play sooner than later.
    If we the people do not analyze the culture around us and decide what we want our culture to be, then large, greedy corporations with no heart will decide our culture for us and that will be no way to live. I suppose this means we all need to be social anthropologists to some extent.

I think honestly culture is a word that's thrown around too much...
    Well, I believe you asked me how we could honestly hold people accountable for shopping at the equivalent of Walmart and consequently hurting other more genuinely scene committed businesses, and I feel that cultivating and adhering to cultural behaviours that resist outside destructive forces is the answer to your question, so I'm not really just throwing it around.

I see your point, but I think that my first post kind of addresses that.

In our society "Youthful Rebellion" has become a ritual; every generation is expected to revolt against the social order for a few years before "growing up" and "accepting reality." This negates any power for real change that the fresh perspective of youth could have; for now rebellion is "just for kids," and no young person dares to maintain their resistance throughout adulthood for fear of being thought of as childish.

I thought this was a good point also

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar

So you can either take the sewing kit, and material, and make something cool, and truly unique to show your individuality, or goto that store, get treated extremely rudely if they even bother to wait on you, and then throw your money into the garbage on a bracelet thats going to break in a month or so, unless you are incredibly careful with it.
    I'll hafta go with BS on this one.
    I've always viewed boutiques of ANY sort for that niche market as a last resort for those who can't sew themselves. I have a profound respect for those girls and boys who trek around in garments they put together themselves over a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken
    I'll hafta go with BS on this one.
    I've always viewed boutiques of ANY sort for that niche market as a last resort for those who can't sew themselves. I have a profound respect for those girls and boys who trek around in garments they put together themselves over a weekend.

Cool, Thanks !

So many people here seem to feel so strongly against Hot Topic, and seem quite determined that people should not spend their money at HT, but rather at the old boutiques instead. This got me wondering - what is everyone doing about it? I mean aside from not shopping at HT yourselves. What are you doing to discourage others from going there? What are you doing to help promote the small shops?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, I'm genuinely curious (even hoping) that someone might have some ideas that I haven't thought of yet. If I appear apathetic, its probably because I've kind of lost hope that this battle could be won by the "good guys".

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by toxic love doll
    So many people here seem to feel so strongly against Hot Topic, and seem quite determined that people should not spend their money at HT, but rather at the old boutiques instead. This got me wondering - what is everyone doing about it? I mean aside from not shopping at HT yourselves. What are you doing to discourage others from going there? What are you doing to help promote the small shops?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, I'm genuinely curious (even hoping) that someone might have some ideas that I haven't thought of yet. If I appear apathetic, its probably because I've kind of lost hope that this battle could be won by the "good guys".
    Well there isnt much you can do other than not shopping there and talking to other people about not shopping there and maybe starting an anti hot topic website. Or you could go on a national tour to all the hot topics walk in with a baseball bat and start destroying shit if you do that too all of 'em im sure there business will at least shrink for a bit

there are so many places i want to do that.....(grab basketball bat and DESTROY!)

+ Reply to Thread