+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ROMs

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default ROMs

Who here downloads and plays ROMs and if so what are your favorites. I dont want this to turn into a debate about wiether downloading ROMs is wrong and whatever so if you feel compelled to debate about that please start another thread.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Re: ROMs

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    Who here downloads and plays ROMs and if so what are your favorites. I dont want this to turn into a debate about wiether downloading ROMs is wrong and whatever so if you feel compelled to debate about that please start another thread.
    Err um.. I don't mean to sound stupid (although I'm a bit stupid), but what the hell is a rom?

I was thinking the same thing quietplace...

bassically it is a copy of a console game for your computer that is ripped from the origunal games CD or cartridge (remember those) the most popular and readily available are game from the 16 bit (SNES, Genesis) era and older

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i use limewire to find roms or cherryroms.com

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

I play ROMs all the time. I love them. Super GAG, older RPGs, sidescrollers, everything. obscure stuff is that much closer with ROMs.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Why not just call em what they are? Games. I have a few sites I go to...unlike the debate with MP3's a good 90% of old console games are no longer produced, sold, or even owned by their original creators anymore. You COULD buy the original carts...but since it's always 3rd party (dedicated game stores not the original publishers) then it's pretty much the same really.

Only recently have companies decided to release compilations and what not...but given how many games were made in the 8 and 16 bit era...you'll never see them all available. It's a good way to keep them alive really...publishers usually have no problem with it unless it's like a Neo Geo Rom or recently re-released games.

Many feel this emulation of old games and systems is VERY important to preserving these games for the future (kind of like old films). Many may not see it quite that way but for game junkies like me...it's nice to know they'll be around. They are a part of entertainment and technology that simply has a colorful and fun history that needs to be preserved.

That said...I have a healthy collection...one guy I knew (he use to work at an old gameshop I went to) had a laptop dedicated to NES, Genesis, and SNES emulation...I have a similar rig myself. These days though I really love the Dreamcast emulation scene...you can get some insane emulators for it...I have one genesis emulator for it ...hundreds of games on one disc...nearly the entire catalog of genesis games. It's not as perfect at the PC emulators but it's a trip playing all these old games on my DC.

The only real shame is that much of the "masters" for these games are who knows where given that many of the developers and publishers no longer exist...like Data East...who knows who owns the stuff they produced.

With emulation and sites like The Underdogs we at least have the opportunity to play, study, and rip apart these old games...cause their are quite a few that STILL stand up as solid games to this day.

i would love to get my hands on some dreamcast ROMs but i cant find any place to get them that doesnt charge a ridiculous amount of money for it

Hula Hoop Supervisor

i would love to get my hands on some dreamcast ROMs but i cant find any place to get them that doesnt charge a ridiculous amount of money for it
    Bittorrent links are the only place to get Dreamcast ROM's...I had to resort to using it in order to get some long out of print and impossible to find games for my DC.

I have a few dozen or so, I'd happily send em your way...jsut keep in mind the file sizes are pretty big...200 to 700 megs.

if you could get me a link thatd be great i dont care about file size because i have a LAN connection that is very very fast

Hula Hoop Supervisor

if you could get me a link thatd be great i dont care about file size because i have a LAN connection that is very very fast
    I got em off supernova...so they are "gone" now...unless you use that lil bit torrent program they came out with.

I have a fast cable connection so I'm sure I could transfer it over fast as sin.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

godamnit! all this file swapping is going to hurt the sales of the Atari 2600. what is wrong with you people?

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

............. I have a Super Nintendo ROM, so I can play Tetris/Dr Mario

::giggles:: I just use it to play Pokémon Sapphire.

I DLed this thing, but I can't get it to work. i'm still dumbfounded on how they put console games on the computer in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I DLed this thing, but I can't get it to work. i'm still dumbfounded on how they put console games on the computer in the first place
    you probably need an emulator

I think my fav. rom is Chrono Trigger..and of course Excitebike! um.. for downloading roms just google "roms" im not sure if this place is still around but its where i get all my roms..google "romnation" Or you can look on IRC.. thats another place i get all my junk. Less false links.

that's what I download, it's umm NEScaf

a good NES emulator is Nesticle... or Jnes.. Theres also rockman emulator but thats not very good one. A good SNES emulator (one i use) is ZSNES. If anyone can find the old BLEEM! emulator program , that lets you play PS1 discs on your comp.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

ROM fan here.. mostly genesis games I dont already own or cant seem to find anymore. big fun for all

+ Reply to Thread