+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does anybody still care about Nine Inch Nails?

Default Does anybody still care about Nine Inch Nails?

I just listened to it. Anyone have an opinion about it? Is anyone here excited about the new NIN? Does anybody still care about Nine Inch Nails?

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Default Re: Does anybody still care about Nine Inch Nails?

I'm mildly interested, but not hugely. I still think he gets WAY more shit from Thee Rivethead Elite than he should, esp considering that he's pushes the envelope musically a lot more than many of Their favored bands.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Ah ole Trent...he earns all the shit he gets from people...the guy takes himself WAY too fucking seriously and manages to say the stupidest things in the most public ways.

He's a Pop Star...that's it. No more, No less. He's always been one and always will...the sooner he accepts it, all will be well. He's not some amazing musical genius or this incredibly deep and moving human being...he's been a character more than anything these past 10 years.

Anyone remember when The Downward Spiral hit big and he was plastered on every magazine? Remember the silly interviews and that horrible "Hey look at me I'm Jim Morrison" photo shoot? How can anyone take him seriously? How about his "I'm DeNiro in Taxi Driver" phase from a few years back...He's a funny funny man...I just don't think he's aware of it.

His music...it's not bad but it's not great. His bigger hits and cuts are very pop inspired and carry the same kind of structure you'd hears on a pop album...that's always been his problem. However he was smart enough tp pick a genre where you can sound the same again and again with no real backlash...just lack of growth. Look at KMFDM...bastards have been essentially releaseing the same album for nearly 15 years now again and again. I still love em though...and same for Trent. His music is not the deepest but it's enjoyable and fun...it may be pretentious and over the top at times but it's part of the charm.

Industrial music is by and large the most shallow genre out there...it takes WAY too much from other styles and adds distorition to make it sound oh so edgey...I'm still a fan and it's a favourite genre of mine but even I can admit when I'm swimming in the shallow end of the pool...and so should Trent.

Till then...I'll make fun of the cooky pop star...I mean it's not like he makes it hard...

All that said though most of those hassling him have not been all that malicious...someone is buying his albums after all...and for the most part he's not exactly "hated". He has a good voice, solid musical skills, and he's a snappy dresser....gotta take him down a few pegs from time to time is all...it's for his own good or we'll get another "Concept Double Album" from him again...no one wants that.

Not even him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Ah ole Trent...he earns all the shit he gets from people...the guy takes himself WAY too fucking seriously and manages to say the stupidest things in the most public ways.
    Could be he does -- I don't know him personally, so I wouldn't judge. But I sure know plenty of people who are owed as much or more than he takes, but don't, because they don't sell as many records.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i might buy the new NIN record i wanted to see NIN in concert but they didnt come to Cleveland TZ has some good points about trent being a pop star but then again he got big back when pop wasnt a bunch of fske crap (well some of it was but actual music actually got a lot of radio play and airtime on MTV) I might also buy the new NIN album but i have to hear a few tracks first

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by funkatron
    Could be he does -- I don't know him personally, so I wouldn't judge. But I sure know plenty of people who are owed as much or more than he takes, but don't, because they don't sell as many records.
    That's kinda the thing...it's not about judging Trent the "person"...just the persona...the character he plays. If pop stars think they can't be judged or ridiculed for their inane public persona's...they are quite wrong.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    i might buy the new NIN record i wanted to see NIN in concert but they didnt come to Cleveland TZ has some good points about trent being a pop star but then again he got big back when pop wasnt a bunch of fske crap (well some of it was but actual music actually got a lot of radio play and airtime on MTV) I might also buy the new NIN album but i have to hear a few tracks first
    It was 94 if I remember right...and lets see...grunge was dead, "alternative" music was whatever the hell it was...and much of it sucked. The darkness began around this time...after all the following year people were listening to Live's "Throwing Copper" for fuck's sake.

In terms of mainstream music...a lot of garbage was filling up the airwaves, tv, and music stores. There was some good stuff out there don't get me wrong but if one couldn't escape the stranglehold of the mainstream...well...you had Sheryl Crow and her damn "All I wanna do" song as your prison guard.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

It was 94 if I remember right...and lets see...grunge was dead, "alternative" music was whatever the hell it was...and much of it sucked. The darkness began around this time...after all the following year people were listening to Live's "Throwing Copper" for fuck's sake.

In terms of mainstream music...a lot of garbage was filling up the airwaves, tv, and music stores. There was some good stuff out there don't get me wrong but if one couldn't escape the stranglehold of the mainstream...well...you had Sheryl Crow and her damn "All I wanna do" song as your prison guard.
    Well theres ALWAYS a bunch of crap in mainstream im only stating that back then there where some decent bands in the mainstream (Im thinking of bands like Alice in Chains (the most ripped off band of the ninties), Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Mudhoney and a fiew others.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    Well theres ALWAYS a bunch of crap in mainstream im only stating that back then there where some decent bands in the mainstream (Im thinking of bands like Alice in Chains (the most ripped off band of the ninties), Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Mudhoney and a fiew others.
    True enough...Soundgarden was quite good, never too into Mudhoney or Pearl Jam though.

Green Day hit in 1994 though...man did that year suck (In general mind you)

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

ive been a big fan of nin for many years. seen them live at least 8 times. at one time i owned every single "halo" he had released. i was a tad obsessive when it came to nin. there's been very little that hes done that i did not like. both "closer" and "the perfect drug" were not to my liking. i enjoy both his music and his lyrical content. i write very similar stuff of my own and he was a big influence on my style.

as to his new stuff, ive only really heard "the hand that feeds" once on the radio. ( i also recieved the deluxe edition of "downward spiral" for santamas and have been listening to it recently.) i liked what i heard, but i cant really say how indicative of the whole "with teeth" album will be. im eagerly awaiting to hear more of it.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

This new album with teeth just does not have a bite to it anymore (no pun intended) I wonder where all that old school agression has gone. This album just seem to kinda stumble to a crawl. Maybe it's time to hang up the keyboard.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

I'm not to anxious to hear the new album, i like NIN and they are coming in june, and i'll be there, i've never been in one of hteir shows so just to take the itch off.

I spent some time boderline obsessed with him myself. Saw 4 shows. I have every halo up till downward spiral. Couldn't bring myself to buy the closer single (halo13 i think) . I had kinda given up on him but I am looking foward to hearing something new. The single is the only thing I've heard so far and I don't love it. Then again I didn't love closer but downward spiral was good. Plus the albulm comes out may third and my birthday is may fourth so it seems made to be.

Also one of my more recent purchases is: "The String Quartet Tribute to Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine"

Kinda a novelty albulm but good for background music at a dinner party.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

Pagan... what should i spect from the show

I think the current tour is club tour. Which might be cooler than the big shows i've seen. They wear black, run around alot, twiggy/jerodie white on bass, many broken keyboards, some cool oversize videos of rotting animals, fancy lighting, sweat, moshing, etc.
    It's been a while since i've seen them though. Some things may have changed. Alot of little wannbe kids back then (myself included), Now it may be a bunch of old burt out people trying to relive their past. (that would be me now, and definatly trent)

Bedlamite

Well, being that I've chilled out quite abit myself, and agression/rage has slowed down to bitterness/appathy I think I shall give Trent a chance. He hasn't let me down yet. (Although I have my feet on the ground and know that simply because something is mainstream or successful dosen't mean it sucks.)

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Well, being that I've chilled out quite abit myself, and agression/rage has slowed down to bitterness/appathy I think I shall give Trent a chance. He hasn't let me down yet. (Although I have my feet on the ground and know that simply because something is mainstream or successful dosen't mean it sucks.)
    That's actually a really good point. I remember when Marilyn Manson released Mechanical Animals it felt "right" giventhe progession and state of mind that had devloped over his last 2 albums.

Granted by and large that album sucked due to Billy Corgan's influence (thrashed the last Hole album too really) but lyrically and theme wise it was a beautiful fit.

Seems though he knew agression and rage would work better ans subsequent albums sort of went back to the the Antichrist Superstar days...though to be honest that may have been his biggest commercial success it was not his finest hour or work both as an individual and as part of a band.

That's how I see Trent really...this is the quiet time before another storm...a genuine one where something in him finally snaps and shows that raw intensity does not quiet with age but simply evolves...I just don't think his skills are up to those emotions yet...he HINTED at it in that double album with tracks like Pilgrimage but has not really re-visited that again since. I still feel THAT track should ahve opened the album and set the tone and pace for the rest...sadlythe rest was way too low key and the only "angry" work on it was laughable like starfuckers, Inc. (good idea...bad execution...slick video though.)

Into The Void...really the only truly beautiful song on that album felt so wasted and out of place he should have made it a single only and nothing more...it felt drowned by the two "hit" singles...that in all truth sucked....I mean "We're in this Together" was not only a horrible song in terms of an idea but such a mess in its structure you really gotta wonder if he had ANY idea about how it was to fit in the album cause to this day it stands out like a rotting tree in a finely manicured garden.

It's as though he took rejected tracks and tried to salvage them...A Perfect Drug was probably the greatest cock tease he ever pulled off...an amazingly well structured song, highly experimental remixes, and a false impression of where he was heading...bastard. That pissed me off more than anything.

Still I know I'll buy his new album hoping for a surprise...if it fails to impress well...

Fuck him...at least I have Beck :P

That's kinda the thing...it's not about judging Trent the "person"...just the persona...the character he plays. If pop stars think they can't be judged or ridiculed for their inane public persona's...they are quite wrong.
    Ah. I've actually read about zero interviews with the guy. I always take those with a grain of salt anyway, having been a music "journalist" for a few years. It's the rare music journalist who tries hard to accurately portrary their subject matter.

He appeared on a Saturday morning kids TV program in the Uk a few weeks ago. Bigging up the Alt Scene there Trent.

You really don't get much more sell out then a show aimed at 5-14 yr olds.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I can't wait for their new album. It comes out either 5/3 or 5/25 not sure. I went to sam goody they said 5/3, but on NIN.com it said 5/25. Oh well.

I Really enjoy NIN, but The Hand That Feeds, I didn't even realise that Reznor did that. It didn't have the familiar NIN Sound.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

yah the new song is kinda ehh too trendy, its following everything else electro on the radio...NIN is known for their own original sound and their new song does not have their originality, its very "been there done that" electro sounding.

I like NIN and all.. evry now and then will listen to Pretty Hate Machine... but as for what NIN stands for now.... Nothing Interestingly New

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Pretty Hate Machine <3 Damn Good Album along w/ The Downward Spiral

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I dunno I think there are otehr bands putting out way more intense and interesting things. I have only seen the single once on TV and I was not really big on it. One of his musicians did a side project called ERROR with some punk guy called bret gurewitz from some old punk band called bad religion( love em) and some crazy ass lead singer froma band called The Dillenger Escape Plan ( Fucking Rawk!) it was only a 5 song ep CD but I was really excited would that intesnity be on the new albumn? from what I have heard I am guessing no.

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    I dunno I think there are otehr bands putting out way more intense and interesting things. I have only seen the single once on TV and I was not really big on it. One of his musicians did a side project called ERROR with some punk guy called bret gurewitz from some old punk band called bad religion( love em) and some crazy ass lead singer froma band called The Dillenger Escape Plan ( Fucking Rawk!) it was only a 5 song ep CD but I was really excited would that intesnity be on the new albumn? from what I have heard I am guessing no.

To hear bad religion called "some old punk band" makes me feel old.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I was being cynical....Canadians sometimes just spew it like vomit after a heavy nights drinking, some people take us literally....I feel old too when i say there is no one as amazing as Bad Brains.....people just think I am wierd...I saw them play thier last attempt at reunitig show at the Valcano in Kitchener Ontario Canada way back when. Sorry yer not old your wel educated based on numerous life trials and if it wasn't for BR and BB and BF what a crappy life it would have been.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Pretty Hate Machine was a really important album to me.

I heard the Starfuckers single for the first time at a Los Angeles club packed with professionally cute girls and aging rockers. Wow, was there a sense of special uncomfortable electricity as those lyrics came over the sound system. It kind of appealed to me.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I heard the Starfuckers single for the first time at a Los Angeles club packed with professionally cute girls and aging rockers. Wow, was there a sense of special uncomfortable electricity as those lyrics came over the sound system. It kind of appealed to me.
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

I have a sick dream to play that at the Playboy Mansion one day...it WILL happen too...just a matter of time.

and your little dog too

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

I have a sick dream to play that at the Playboy Mansion one day...it WILL happen too...just a matter of time.
    good sick dream

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Hehe, no better setting for a song like that... Beautiful irony. I think the new album will be good. Not as epic as the Fragile (which, as hated as it is, is a monster that will someday be fully appreciated, especially in view of the live shows that went down for that tour).

+ Reply to Thread