+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Live- Yes/No

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

Default Live- Yes/No

Had this conversation with somebody and i thought I'd get y'alls opinion-
    I was saying I hate seeing bands that sound like a completely different band live- I want them to sound live- just like the CD(or better)!!!
    He hates the reverse.
    After thinking about it, I did remember some bands that I thought sounded better live, but for the most part I really feel kinda betrayed or something when a band is amazing on disk and sucks live!!
    what're your opinions?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: Live- Yes/No

I tend to like live versions of songs better actually almost all of my favorite CDs are live CDs to me the music just has a lot more vibe to it if its live i mean there are some exceptions because some bands tottaly suck live but yeah i think most bands sound better live

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Yeah a lot of bands are/were better live than on studio albums...and vice versa.

Take Garbage...a studio band that did tour and played live and at least to me never sounded the same...not to say they sounded bad but their is only so much of the studio you can do live (for now anyhow).

The Lords of Acid...entertaining on albums and not bad...but live...they are AMAZING and the energy and power they push really makes for some great shows. Much of their songs sound better live and some versions they will ONLY play live...

A lot of bands won't admit that their studio work has as much to do with the producer and sound engineer than their own talent and skill...and many live bands will not admit that their crew is what gets them sounding as amazing as they do...so when you place in those factors their is only so much a band can do on their own...

But then you have bands who sound great live no matter what conditions they are playing in...Nirvana was quite good at that...always thought it was a shame most of their live stuff was not captured.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Alien Sex Fiend sounds pretty different live. I like their studio stuff, but it's different. Their live CDs are enjoyable though, so you can have it either way you like.

Jane's Addiction always sounded way better live.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

[QUOTE=ForrestBlack]Alien Sex Fiend sounds pretty different live. I like their studio stuff, but it's different. Their live CDs are enjoyable though, so you can have it either way you like.
    [QUOTE]

Great example. A few years back I was working at St. Andrews Hall, in Detroit, and they were booked. One of the other bouncers had never heard them, so I loaned him a tape. Next day he told me that he didn't much like them, and my response was, "Wait till ya hear them live". After the show he was addicted. Just one of many examples of bands sounding differently from their studio work. But I think most fans will enjoy their favorite bands either way.

+ Reply to Thread