+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i hate radio. do you think most people think music radio is good?

and your little dog too

Default i hate radio. do you think most people think music radio is good?

from radio and records

Friday, April 22, 2005
    Rock Listeners Agree: Radio Doesn't Suck

Key findings from a new Jacobs Media Technology Survey released today say that when listeners to Alternative, mainstream and Active Rock and Classic Rock radio were offered the chance to agree or disagree with the statement "Radio sucks," 79% chose "disagree total," while 13% were neutral and just 8% selected "agree total." By format, 78% of Rock and Active fans, 71% of Alternative listeners and 83% of Classic Rock listeners agreed that radio doesn't "suck."

When respondents were asked whether local commercial radio has gotten better or worse, 41% of Alternative fans said things have gotten better, 27% said radio is worse and 32% said it's about the same. Rock listeners are less optimistic: Thirty-one percent said radio has improved, 29% said things are getting worse and 32% see no change. On the Classic Rock side, 32% said things are better, 24% think radio's getting worse and 44% believe it hasn't changed.

Just as the Alternative fans were most likely to say radio's getting better, they were also the most likely to say the music they're hearing has improved over the past year: Forty-four percent of Alt fans say music is better, compared to 30% of the total sample, 34% of Rock listeners and 20% of Classic Rock fans. Just 21% of the Alt listeners say the music's gotten worse, while for Rock, the figure is 26%, and for Classic Rock, it's 33%. Saying the music has stayed the same were 38% of the sample, 35% of Alt fans, 39% of Rock listeners and 37% of Classic Rock listeners.

The new findings are from a survey from which Jacobs released early data a couple of weeks ago, saying Alternative and younger Rock listeners are likely to have no landlines in their home and therefore cannot be included in Arbitron's total sample — a situation Jacobs Media describes as "a major problem."

Data from 53 stations was used in the Jacobs Media Technology Survey. Most of the 19,263 respondents are members of station e-mail databases who received an e-mail asking them to participate. Some respondents took part because they heard on-air announcements or saw a link on a station website. Jacobs notes, "This is a web poll and cannot replicate all radio listeners, or even Rock radio listeners."

— By Brida Connolly

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: i hate radio. do you think most people think music radio is good?

wow,that was really confusing,i can't even get the point here....well,damn,...call me an idot then....

and your little dog too

someone actually paid to have that study done even though it comes to no real conclusion and includes no facts

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    wow,that was really confusing,i can't even get the point here....well,damn,...call me an idot then....
    yea did they actualy understand how the survey worked and do you know how many dumb asses think that what they listen to is "alternative" when it isnt?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I hate commercial radio the only good radio is NPR and college stations

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    I hate commercial radio the only good radio is NPR and college stations
    NPR rocks,hahha

^ that was a joke,haha get it? but i used to listen to it almost religously.......when Mo Rocca was on ,that was great.....

NPR actually has a pretty good music station in louisville that plays pretty much everything at one point or another its really awesome

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I don't listen to radio, I DJ my own.

Radio has gotten worse , though some New Songs are awesome.

I think that the quality of a radio station is by it's DJ's, as they are normally those in charge of the playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Radio has gotten worse , though some New Songs are awesome.

I think that the quality of a radio station is by it's DJ's, as they are normally those in charge of the playlist.

not anymore at least not on corporate radio they special people who make the playlists and give them to the DJs the DJs just talk alot now and nothing else

Ok, someone tell me I just read the article wrong because it's getting late and what I read may have shorted the brain.

Most people who listen to the radio like the radio. O.K. That is interesting. Oh no wait, by interesting I meant painfull obvious. Just to recap.

Most of the 19,263 respondents are members of station e-mail databases who received an e-mail asking them to participate
    In otherwords, they went into a Mexican resturaunt and asked people if they like mexican food. What did they expect the answer to be?

Aaaahgh. This article hurts me too much I am going to go theraputically soak my brain in medical rum.

exactly its called selective polling this gets used all the time in politics and its the second worst form of polling available (the first being push polling which isnt even polling at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    exactly its called selective polling this gets used all the time in politics and its the second worst form of polling available (the first being push polling which isnt even polling at all)

you'd think people would catch on a little more often,';';cough, bush,cough"';/......................

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Yeah, it's all about NPR. That is about the only radio I listen to with any regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    you'd think people would catch on a little more often,';';cough, bush,cough"';/......................
    unfortunately people are stupid.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Radio? whats that?

Ichigo's Avatar Senior Member

All I listen to is the college radio stations in Cleveland, and I listen to Ghoul School online.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

..................... I might be interning at the rock station here in Topeka. Maybe I'll change their playlist, it's stuck in 1983.

dep's Avatar Junior Member

i think a lot of people believe that what is on the radio is all the music that there is to offer.. little do they know that the very best music in the world will never be played on the radio.. :/ it's sad, really, that many people will never stop for a moment to question their reality. oh well, i don't know if a lot of those people could appreciate music from non-labelled, independent artists anyways...

dep

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I've found an infinite amount of niche radio can be found by just doing a websearch. It is ultimately irrelevant what other people may or may not listen to (at least to me)

OEC

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I was a metal DJ for several years. That state of radio is not a happy one. With the era of the riaa and clear channel, a radio listener's choices in programing has stumbled to a crawl. A person really doesn't have a good choice anymore unless they are part of the the pop mob. Anymore a person has to run thier own set up. Ridiculus I say.

dep's Avatar Junior Member

Here's an interesting tidbit.. Did you ever notice that the music outside lots of public places (movie theatres, shopping malls, etc) is especially bad? Well, as it turns out, lots of businesses make a practice of using MUSIC to help with loitering. By playing bad music, it decreases the desire for younger kids to loiter. Just the idea of using music as a weapon is horrible.. A travesty.. Most certainly the complete opposite of what music is all about.. Now that's sad.

dep

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem

In otherwords, they went into a Mexican resturaunt and asked people if they like mexican food. What did they expect the answer to be?

Aaaahgh. This article hurts me too much I am going to go theraputically soak my brain in medical rum.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

art bell, and radio orbit are(or were) cool-
    I can't believe at some point the person writing that didn't realize how stupid it sounded.
    I think radio is just another thing people have destroyed trying to cater to everyone. Even if they say they are a certain type of station, in reality they still have to worry about what everyone and thier grandma might say if they happen to tune in. Most stations now have playlist of what can be played and the DJs have little if anything to say about what goes on, even in "all request" times. Whats playing today is usually decided on a week, or more, earlier. Its also a "who has the most cash" business-
    NPR and college stations are cool- sometimes.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

right now in L.A. there is a radio station that has Dicky Barrett, Rob Zombie, Steve Jones, Crystal Method, Henry Rollins, and others as radio djs. they also have a web site w/ live stream http://www.indie1031.fm/main.html

+ Reply to Thread