+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Natural Selection

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

Default Natural Selection

First of- sorry if anyone is sick of my "Whats your opinion" threads, if its a problem, I'll stop.
    but-
    here goes-
    Once again I was having a conversation/arguement with a friend- I was saying that I thought our civilization, or at least american society, has pretty much fucked up the whole natural selection process for our species. He countered that he believed the process was still going strong. That we as a race are still learning and moving "forward" in intelligence. That , as I like to put it, us allowing the "bad seeds" to exist, in addition to our destruction of the environment, wars, etc... was all part of the process of us wiping ourselves out and thus proving to be a "weak", or otherwise unsavory species.
    (this all stemmed from us talking about a "drug" issue, and my arguement that- in a truely "free" society we would be allowed to do with our bodies whatever we wanted- the others argued that some people wouldn't be able to handle that freedom and would hurt/kill themselves or others- I of course said if they died-FINE- if they were a threat to others- put 'em down. guess I wouldn't mind some commentary on that subject as well)

and now I leave this to you-

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Natural Selection

i'm all for Natural Selection,it's painfully obvious there's ALOT of people who provide NOTHING to anything and this world and never will,......and i think everybody has potential but damn...........

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

How would we ascertain what was and was not natural selection? Generally speaking people advocate natural selection have human created criteria for who should or should not breed. I've never met anyone capable of such decisions. As such, these people should practice it only in their own lives (which may well have the desired result for the rest of us )

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    How would we ascertain what was and was not natural selection? Generally speaking people advocate natural selection have human created criteria for who should or should not breed. I've never met anyone capable of such decisions. As such, these people should practice it only in their own lives (which may well have the desired result for the rest of us )

OEC

lets just say ,i think a brief "ice-age" might not be a bad thing for the continuation of our species as a whole ............

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    lets just say ,i think a brief "ice-age" might not be a bad thing for the continuation of our species as a whole ............
    oh I agree. I just don't think we can force it. My guess is it may just happen tho.

OEC

dep's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyar
    First of- sorry if anyone is sick of my "Whats your opinion" threads, if its a problem, I'll stop.
    but-
    here goes-
    Once again I was having a conversation/arguement with a friend- I was saying that I thought our civilization, or at least american society, has pretty much fucked up the whole natural selection process for our species. He countered that he believed the process was still going strong. That we as a race are still learning and moving "forward" in intelligence. That , as I like to put it, us allowing the "bad seeds" to exist, in addition to our destruction of the environment, wars, etc... was all part of the process of us wiping ourselves out and thus proving to be a "weak", or otherwise unsavory species.
    (this all stemmed from us talking about a "drug" issue, and my arguement that- in a truely "free" society we would be allowed to do with our bodies whatever we wanted- the others argued that some people wouldn't be able to handle that freedom and would hurt/kill themselves or others- I of course said if they died-FINE- if they were a threat to others- put 'em down. guess I wouldn't mind some commentary on that subject as well)

and now I leave this to you-

OMG.. YES!! especially in American Society, we are such a safe-guarded, bumper-car society. orange cones around every tiny puddle, yellow tape around every hole... it's crazy. so here's a for instance:

someone in a rental limousine was being a jerk hanging out the top of the moon roof when, in an accident, he lost his head... nasty, eh? natural selection at work! yes.. but what happened? they took moon roofs out of ALL rental limousine services... patching up another hole... putting a bumper around another mechanism. there IS no system of checks and balances today in our society..

in fact, it seems the ignorant prosper where the intelligent suffer... the stupid and fat seem to flourish, breeding in record numbers while the intelligent are off pursuing loftier goals... it's a viscious cycle, but the fat, stupid masses will eventually take over, it seems...

dep

Bedlamite

Natrual Selection is a phrase I'm not overly fond of, as a whole. Most because when human kind takes it upon itself to act for nature, or to 're-balence' acting for nature, it often takes ugly and mislead forms. Such as sosial darwinism and genocide.

I'm certain the cycle of life will, without a doubt, find away to balence itself.

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Quote Originally Posted by dep
    in fact, it seems the ignorant prosper where the intelligent suffer... the stupid and fat seem to flourish, breeding in record numbers while the intelligent are off pursuing loftier goals... it's a viscious cycle, but the fat, stupid masses will eventually take over, it seems...

dep
    wtf?

You think you can measure intelligence? Fuck you! You can't even spell vicious!

Every human being out there is carrying a universe inside of them. The idea that certain people don't have the right to live because of their IQ is an inherently primitive idea. Progress means empathy, compassion and understanding, not elitist bullshit like this.

and by the way, equating body weight and intelligence is a reassuringly stupid in the first place.

dep's Avatar Junior Member

yes, we're all beautiful unique snowflakes with a universe inside of us, shining through our glorious souls in a brilliant lightning storm of rainbows and dancing bears..

if people ate less fat food, watched less reality TV, they'd surely be in better shape. on top of that, they might learn more about the world than what is told to them through Fox News.

dep

Quote Originally Posted by 23*
    wtf?

You think you can measure intelligence? Fuck you! You can't even spell vicious!

Every human being out there is carrying a universe inside of them. The idea that certain people don't have the right to live because of their IQ is an inherently primitive idea. Progress means empathy, compassion and understanding, not elitist bullshit like this.

and by the way, equating body weight and intelligence is a reassuringly stupid in the first place.

OEC

i don't think it's our job to start a Genocide or anything,who are we to kill off others,ect,ect....

BUT, i really think we are in need of some natural intervention.........even if only to humble people about life,becuse at our current rate and progression,we are killing our own world so fast WE might even see it crumble..........

Bedlamite

i don't think it's our job to start a Genocide or anything,who are we to kill off others,ect,ect....

BUT, i really think we are in need of some natural intervention.........even if only to humble people about life,becuse at our current rate and progression,we are killing our own world so fast WE might even see it crumble..........
    I know that it all seems very unfair, sortof like having millionaires decide weather desperatly poor people deserve to have health care or not. But there is very little, we the indivitual can do to control nature, goverments, or profit. (Which has alot to do with why there hasn't been a environmental change of ways up till now).

It may sound callous, which I really don't mean to, but since we may see the world crumble before our eyes, then we might as well pour ourselves a nice Absinthe, and toast the end of humans. Because I really don't think its bloodly likley that humans are about to learn to be humble any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    then we might as well pour ourselves a nice Absinthe, and toast the end of humans. Because I really don't think its bloodly likley that humans are about to learn to be humble any time soon.
    (fuckin' emoticons.......)

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    I know that it all seems very unfair, sortof like having millionaires decide weather desperatly poor people deserve to have health care or not. But there is very little, we the indivitual can do to control nature, goverments, or profit. (Which has alot to do with why there hasn't been a environmental change of ways up till now).

It may sound callous, which I really don't mean to, but since we may see the world crumble before our eyes, then we might as well pour ourselves a nice Absinthe, and toast the end of humans. Because I really don't think its bloodly likley that humans are about to learn to be humble any time soon.
    I have every intention of roasting marshmallows with my last cup of absinthe

OEC

I have every intention of roasting marshmallows with my last cup of absinthe

OEC

i think we're going to have to plan some HYPER-GRIND,nothing like the end of the world with 1000Bpm and screaming/growling,aahahaa......

^a show, that is........

have you guys actually tasted real 70% Absinthe? Sorry to burst your bubble but the stuff is putrid, nausating stuff. Its a little better if you spark it up first and burn off some of the alcohol but even still.

I've drank my fair share of vodka and i've had 100% medicinal spirits but shit i never tasted anything as foul as absinthe and this is coming from a guy that actually loves liquors. I know it has a romantic heritage but shit..just taste it..

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

have you guys actually tasted real 70% Absinthe? Sorry to burst your bubble but the stuff is putrid, nausating stuff. Its a little better if you spark it up first and burn off some of the alcohol but even still.

I've drank my fair share of vodka and i've had 100% medicinal spirits but shit i never tasted anything as foul as absinthe and this is coming from a guy that actually loves liquors. I know it has a romantic heritage but shit..just taste it..
    Yeah absinthe does taste pretty bed but ive had some that was really fucking potent and tasted ok too you just have to dilute it with something and drink a bit more when i drink it i either make it (i make my own in the summer) or mix it with triple sec which makes it taste a lot better.

and as for natural selection I think it is slowly starting to go in reverse where trust fund babies are starting to control everything and they are for the most part a bunch of idiots or at least spoiled brats. Paris Hilton is a great example of reverse natural selection at work.

I have a nice idea.... create a deadly virus that will target only those who doesn't drink absinth.

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

As per your first response- Yes, I know anyone of us that thinks we should be in charge of making up the "to kill" list, probably has some ideas everyone else might not agree with, and thinking we're right is a little, shall we say- shitty- to say the least, BUT- whe I say natutral selection Im just refering to stupid people getting offed doing stupid shit- many of the "safegaurds" in society just reeeally shouldn't be there- whyshould we all have to pay because of the possibility of some idiots being just that.
    am I right? or just an asshole?
    c'mon- we can do without some warning labels- right?
    I mean, who the fuck is the sticker that says "Do not stick hands or feet in lawn mower blade while in motion"- If they want to, I say go ahead- DUMBASS!!

secondly- yes absinthe taste like shit- I bought a case of 100proof czhech absinthe(Sebor) a few years ago- was very disappointed!! Just like licorice everclear- nasty- never again.
    Shit- by the time you drank enough to hallucinate I think you'd have alchol poisoning!!!

oh I agree. I just don't think we can force it. My guess is it may just happen tho.

OEC
    You can if you put enough effort into your goal.

Yosuga is a very interesting and relavant type of Philosophy to that subject. **

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Natural selection does not exist in the American society. Why do i say this you ask? Well i'll tell you...its because of medical science. We wont let sick people die. Not so long ago in the grand scheme of the world as we know it, people died from broken bones and simple sicknesses. now everytime some old codger get a flu bug that would have killed him, now lives for another twenty years. sucking up resources that he, in the past, would have never even experienced. We interupt natural selection with our new fangled snake oils and remedies, and we wont let people die. Even when they want to die themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    Natural selection does not exist in the American society. Why do i say this you ask? Well i'll tell you...its because of medical science. We wont let sick people die. Not so long ago in the grand scheme of the world as we know it, people died from broken bones and simple sicknesses. now everytime some old codger get a flu bug that would have killed him, now lives for another twenty years. sucking up resources that he, in the past, would have never even experienced. We interupt natural selection with our new fangled snake oils and remedies, and we wont let people die. Even when they want to die themselves.
    damn straight.....let 'em die......

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    Natural selection does not exist in the American society. Why do i say this you ask? Well i'll tell you...its because of medical science.
    it has nothong to do with death. Natural selection is about the good looking people marry other good looking people to have good looking children, the ugly get with the ugly, the poor get with the poor, etc.... and yes they have done studies on the subject and even on an unconcious level people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    it has nothong to do with death. Natural selection is about the good looking people marry other good looking people to have good looking children, the ugly get with the ugly, the poor get with the poor, etc.... and yes they have done studies on the subject and even on an unconcious level people do it.

"natural selection
    n.
    The process in nature by which, according to Darwin's theory of evolution, only the organisms best adapted to their environment tend to survive and transmit their genetic characteristics in increasing numbers to succeeding generations while those less adapted tend to be eliminated."

all four def. are the same........i don't know what your talkin' about.but ...uuuhh..yea..that..^^^.........

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    while thats true medical science does prevent nature from killing of the weaklings but then on the other hand the abilty to control our enviroment is why humanity has lasted as lond as it has

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

"natural selection
    n.
    The process in nature by which only the organisms best adapted to their environment tend to survive and transmit their genetic characteristics
    yea, in the animal kingdom this works but with humins it doesnt. our invironment now isnt really an issue these days but we still tend to choose our mates simalar to that of animals even though its not about survival of our species. for instance a lioness will mate with the stongest lion to insure that its cubs will be stong and carry on the whole circle of life thang. we as humans dont really need to do anything like that but we unconsiously still do, like choosing someone who is smart so that your children may be smarter. thats what I was trying to get at.

Bedlamite

Yes. I've had 70 percent absinthe. Lots of times actually. And I think its marvelous. Most alcohol tastes of kerosine or unleaded petrol. Hate to break it to you, but everything but snapps tastes foul, and even that just tastes like syrup added rubbing alcohol.

And still I say, Absinthe, Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    You can if you put enough effort into your goal.

Your goal being to determine who does or does not breed? You cannot control others actions, particularly with regards to sex and reproduction.

OEC

Your goal being to determine who does or does not breed? You cannot control others actions, particularly with regards to sex and reproduction.

OEC

"not with that attitude,honey"aahahaha.......

you know you have failed in life when you spell "attitude" wrong.....

"not with that attitude,honey"aahahaha.......

you know you have failed in life when you spell "attitude" wrong.....
    ??

OEC

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

Humans think they can control the world. Natural selection, both for humans and for all other species, has been taken over by un-natural, human selection. All of the points so far about medical science being partially to blame are correct. We try to cure everything that is supposed to control the population of our species. With true natural selection, the sick and weak would die. We use laws to stop us from killing eachother. We use weapons and traps to stop animals from killing and eating us. Some would argue that religion allows us this right. Some would argue that our intelligence is natural, and in turn our ability to cheat natural selection is in itself natural. Perhaps....but we've taken it too far.

We don't just control our own fate, but the fate of everything else. Why do we feel this need to control forest fires? They happen naturally for a reason.
    We try to repopulate species on the verge of extinction....which also happens naturally for a reason. What about those species we cause to be extinct? Well, then we get back into the arguement that our intelligence is natural selection in itself.

It's a complicated issue...but my personal opinion is that we've gone too far. We try to control too much...and just like overpopulated animal species, eventually we will kill ourselves out. We will run out of water, or contract a major disease, or something. It's only a matter of time!

Quote Originally Posted by nyar
    c'mon- we can do without some warning labels- right?
    I mean, who the fuck is the sticker that says "Do not stick hands or feet in lawn mower blade while in motion"- If they want to, I say go ahead- DUMBASS!!
    i'd rather deal with an unaesthetic label stuck on my hedge trimmer than just one poor fuck loose an arm on the other side of the world... hey but thats just me..

I might not put my foot in a lawnmower but i might also not know that i shouldn't mix sulphuric acid & sodium nitrate!
    i'm not a stupid guy, but in certain areas i am pretty dim like with mechanics and engineering, not everyone that makes a mistake is just stupid...we all have blind spots...

Okay, from the start, people's responses seem to have a strong thread of nihilism and misanthropy running through them. Natural selection is still at work. It is up to the individual if he/she chooses to be a dumb primitive and not take (and pay for) modern medicine. If you don't want to live, then fucking die already and leave some oxygen for the rest of us who have shit to do. Don't worry - there are plenty of good diseases still around and new ones that will crop up for us to deal with.

From a sociologist's POV, I can see what happened to the Roman Empire happening to the US someday. We could become so nihilistic, self-aggrandizing, obsessed with leisure activity (don't forget - "leisure management" is a college major here), that we party ourselves right out of existence. Values collapse, apathy rules, postmodernism reigns supreme... Then come the huns and a new dark age....

And 23* - you made a great point... for all of the metaphysical relativism that gets thrown around, you would think that someone would stick up for the poor fucker who lost his hand in the lawnmower... "Well, maybe in HIS culture, the symbol of the RED WARNING TRIANGLE means 'do it like this!'"

Quote Originally Posted by Forestghost
    Why do we feel this need to control forest fires? They happen naturally for a reason.
    Because we value human life over the "natural" progress of things... It is part of what makes us human. Otherwise, we wouldn't put the fucking fire out, we'd just run away from it like dumb raccoons and whoever got out alive would win.

Quote Originally Posted by tinstar
    And 23* - you made a great point... for all of the metaphysical relativism that gets thrown around, you would think that someone would stick up for the poor fucker who lost his hand in the lawnmower... "Well, maybe in HIS culture, the symbol of the RED WARNING TRIANGLE means 'do it like this!'"
    are you being sarcastic?
    i was making a valid point. maybe.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

"natural selection
    n.
    The process in nature by which, according to Darwin's theory of evolution, only the organisms best adapted to their environment tend to survive and transmit their genetic characteristics in increasing numbers to succeeding generations while those less adapted tend to be eliminated."

all four def. are the same........i don't know what your talkin' about.but ...uuuhh..yea..that..^^^.........
    Thank you KillerKat, you saved me some typing.

are you being sarcastic?
    i was making a valid point. maybe.
    hehe kinda yes and kinda no...

For starters, they might want to let the people that want to die commit euthinasia. ( Pardon spelling.)

I think it's less likely that we'll party ourselves out of existence. I think it's far more likely that we'll place a greater and greater focus on work, while simultaneously failing to actually achieve more in the process. We sure will leverage more synergies, though, as we establish best practices for customer-facing enterprise initiatives.

We're building a culture of pointless effort, duckspeak, and constant commisseration.

+ Reply to Thread