+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you think cutting yourself can be therapeutic?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you think cutting yourself can be therapeutic?

I once got a B on a term paper I thought was damn good on the topic of therapeutic impact of self-mutilation. It was for an upper level seminar on abnormal psychology. Recently the topic has come up over and over again. I think some new service did a story on some "goth" girl who cut herself or something. I don't think it is a good idea to bust out the X-acto knives if you don't feel an urge, but I do think that sometimes physical pain can have mental benefits.

Default Re: Do you think cutting yourself can be therapeutic?

Putting yourself through pain intentionally makes you much more able to go through more intense pain.

They actually do types of training based all around that completely.

Some examples would be people stepping into boiling water, in preperation for going near certain chemicals, or vents, or other types of stuff.

There are many other examples that are far better than that though.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar

Some examples would be people stepping into boiling water, in preperation for going near certain chemicals, or vents, or other types of stuff.
    That's such BS dude...human skin cannot handle boiling water no matter what kind of training you do to it.

Inflicting Pain to "better prepare for it" is NOT done...even training to survive torture excludes it. It's been proven countless times that to survive emotional and physical pain one needs to have a STRONG mental state. Training the body is also key but not in a malicious way...the body can do more than the mind feels it can ONLY when the body is trained to reach its peak performance.

If you're out of shape for example you'd be much more sensetive to any kind of stress...emotional or physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    That's such BS dude...human skin cannot handle boiling water no matter what kind of training you do to it.

Inflicting Pain to "better prepare for it" is NOT done...even training to survive torture excludes it. It's been proven countless times that to survive emotional and physical pain one needs to have a STRONG mental state. Training the body is also key but not in a malicious way...the body can do more than the mind feels it can ONLY when the body is trained to reach its peak performance.

If you're out of shape for example you'd be much more sensetive to any kind of stress...emotional or physical.
    Those examples are not mine btw, Now I know that they are wrong though.

and your little dog too

I would be a hypocrite if I said I thought it was all bad, but I hate people who barely scratch themselves and then go around showing off their tiny tiny tiny scratches and sighing theatrically.

shadowfaerie's Avatar Junior Member
    Ive always lived in california.. before this it was moreno valley, and before that Lynwood (Los Angeles)

Some people do it for attention, others do it because of their depresseion..

what seems to bother me is that most people think that everyone who cuts does it to hurt themselves or kill themselves, or because of depression. Alot of people are closed minded that way, and they need to understand that not all cutters do it for those reasons.

Some do it because of boredom (no joke), others because of a blood addiction/fetish..

its not alwyas because of depression or suicidal tendancies, and i wish people would just listen and get that and stop judging cutters and looking at them like poor people who should be locked up in a padded room.

Personally, I dont advocate that, since it leaves scars, or can lead to getting extremely sick due to heavy loss of Blood.

Even when they attempt to do this for suicide, most people only cut so far, and end up creating scars, etc rather than dying.

Btw, That example I just said, and the other examples that Tequilla Zaire pointed out as B.S., were from my abnormal psychology textbook. Since it is a s.w.f.c textbook, that would explain about how it is a bunch of B.S. though.

Ive always lived in california.. before this it was moreno valley, and before that Lynwood (Los Angeles)

dont advocate what? the fact that people do it for boredom and blood?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfaerie
    dont advocate what? the fact that people do it for boredom and blood?
    Oh sorry, I was thinking back to that stupid book again, and somehow wandered into the suicide section.

Even though I myself have considered, and almost attempted it, I dont really like the wrist slitting method. On the bright side though, it does provide an excellent drink .

Wrist slitting can leave really bad scars in some case, but I dont think that the suicide section has anything to do with that.

As for the self cutting part for the simple sake of just cutting, It can be cool if you do that in shapes or patterns.

lol sounds like a plan *little thumbs up guy that i dont know how to do*

Morgue1313's Avatar Senior Member

[QUOTE=BrightStar]Wrist slitting can leave really bad scars in some case, but I dont think that the suicide section has anything to do with that.[QUOTE]

So you mentioned scars like 5 times in your last posts, what do you have against scars? I personally think there are other worse reprocussions than scars from suicide attempts.

As for cutting, I think when done with knowledge it can be a good thing. Im a cutter, I havent done it in years now, but its one of those once an alcoholic always an alcoholic things. It definately makes emotional pain easier to deal with since you can push it out with the physical pain.

Now in my adult life I have times where I forget what pain is, and I think its a very important thing to remember. Pain whether from cutting or other things inflicted on myself always made me feel live, it reminded me that Im human and I have boundaries. As long as you know your boundaries and respect them I think cutting can be very therapeutic.

Suicide is a whole seperate topic, since most cutters dont cut for a suicide attempt at all.

I do agree that the "trendy" cutters kind of irritate me. People who walk around with cuts all over their arms and almost advertising it, do need help, and they are asking for it in a way. Not everyone is like that, but it makes the rest of us look bad.

[QUOTE=Morgue1313][QUOTE=BrightStar]Wrist slitting can leave really bad scars in some case, but I dont think that the suicide section has anything to do with that.

So you mentioned scars like 5 times in your last posts, what do you have against scars? I personally think there are other worse reprocussions than scars from suicide attempts.

As for cutting, I think when done with knowledge it can be a good thing. Im a cutter, I havent done it in years now, but its one of those once an alcoholic always an alcoholic things. It definately makes emotional pain easier to deal with since you can push it out with the physical pain.

Now in my adult life I have times where I forget what pain is, and I think its a very important thing to remember. Pain whether from cutting or other things inflicted on myself always made me feel live, it reminded me that Im human and I have boundaries. As long as you know your boundaries and respect them I think cutting can be very therapeutic.

Suicide is a whole seperate topic, since most cutters dont cut for a suicide attempt at all.

I do agree that the "trendy" cutters kind of irritate me. People who walk around with cuts all over their arms and almost advertising it, do need help, and they are asking for it in a way. Not everyone is like that, but it makes the rest of us look bad.
    Nothing personal, just wandered into the wrong part of the text book, but that book is all junk anyway. I would through it away, but it had cost around 100$ from the loan.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Well, I've been in really severe physical pain and I must say that it has had no therapeutic mental benefits. But I feel like I can handle a lot of pain just from my previous experiences. However, that pain was definitely not self-inflicted. I've got enough scars so I don't cut myself for fun. Getting a tattoo, piercing, or acupuncture, on the other hand, feels good.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Morgue1313
    It definately makes emotional pain easier to deal with since you can push it out with the physical pain.
    Isn't that a bit of a cop out though? Since you're essentially not dealing with what caused the emotional pain in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgue1313
    No offense but in this case both sides of the spectrum "need help".

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

My name is vixta, and i am a self harmer....

Over the years you do work out ways of cutting yourself to provide maximum pain and blood and least likeliness of scarring badly. i don't know if anyone here has tried the 'alternatives' such as holding ice or drawing on your arms with a felt pen or any of the other shit therapists have suggested to me but in my opinion they are a poor substitute. i did go into a bit of a frenzy on thursday but once you are done and you clean yourself up all of the shit that happened that day has become nothing more than a background drone.

and next time this attention seeking bint will tell you all about her suicide attempt, sleep well

Quote Originally Posted by vixta
    i did go into a bit of a frenzy on thursday but once you are done and you clean yourself up all of the shit that happened that day has become nothing more than a background drone.
    I'm curious: does doing this make all your problems go away forever? If not, how long is this going to happen until all your pain disappears? I'm asking these questions out of concern for you. For those in emotional pain, it just seems like such a temporary solution to a definite deeper problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage
    I'm curious: does doing this make all your problems go away forever? If not, how long is this going to happen until all your pain disappears? I'm asking these questions out of concern for you. For those in emotional pain, it just seems like such a temporary solution to a definite deeper problem.
    It's totally a temporary solution - things happen and pile up and pile up and you feel pathetic and weak and you want to scream at the world for making you feel this way and everything is fucked up and messed up and everyone hates you and despises you for being so damn pathetic. then i cut myself or burn myself, and it all goes quiet. i can get things into perspective, and deal with them.

i am not advocating it, and i have been in treatment blah blah blah since i was 16. It is not a solution to me - just a method of getting into a situation where i can deal with shit. It isn't as dramatic as it sounds, i'm just trying to explain what goes through my mind.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Having worked in mental health for 4 years now, I still have mixed feelings on self mutilation.
    When you cut yourself, your forcing your brain to produce the chemicals that cause good feelings. If indeed your brain has an imbalance, and is not producing these chemicals on its own, this could be looked at as a good thing. But so do drugs, and I dont think thats such a good idea.
    The professionals I work with teach that cutting is another negative outlet for the self treatment/medication of mental illness. Cutting to relieve whatever wrong is going on upstaires. It could be to gain control of some pain you feel you have no control over, or to inflict pain for some wrong you feel you have done. It can be addictive, and dangerous.

I used to cut alot, I grew out of it, as most young people do. NOt so say I dont still enjoy it to a certain degree. But can your mental illness safely turn into sexual perversion? I dont know. Probably not.

Anyway, conclusion. I think anything in excess is bad for you. Weather is be cutting, drugs, booze, whatever. So as long as your not going overboard slicing yourself up, its ok.

It is not a solution to me - just a method of getting into a situation where i can deal with shit. It isn't as dramatic as it sounds, i'm just trying to explain what goes through my mind.
    I enrolled myself in martial arts classes at a young age in order to deal with certain personal and external problems. It really did help a lot. Have you focused/thought about focusing all this pain on something healthy, like a sport or creative outlet?

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage
    I enrolled myself in martial arts classes at a young age in order to deal with certain personal and external problems. It really did help a lot. Have you focused/thought about focusing all this pain on something healthy, like a sport or creative outlet?
    How much does a punching bag cost?

my creative outlet is my writing and painting - www.geocities.com/worklovelifemisc and while i get your idea my total uselessness at sports of all kind tends to exacerbate the problem.

i totally appreciate your words kellie, they are very reassuring. 95% of the time i'm fine. the only thing that worries me is that i've been doing it for ten years now, so the growing out of option aint looking too good. but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    Anyway, conclusion. I think anything in excess is bad for you. Weather is be cutting, drugs, booze, whatever. So as long as your not going overboard slicing yourself up, its ok.
    What I was saying. Im a firm believer in everything in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Isn't that a bit of a cop out though? Since you're essentially not dealing with what caused the emotional pain in the first place.

No offense but in this case both sides of the spectrum "need help".
    Its definately not dealing with the emotional pain, but helping deal with it at that moment. Im not sayin its a long term fix. But I dont think anyone should be looked down upon for cutting. I dont see a need for help if its in moderation, honestly.

Ive noticed that its almost impossible to explain it to people who havent done it or who isnt close to someone whose done it. I wouldnt call it a cop out as much as I would call it a coping skill for some. Some people keep it in line, some dont, its the same everything.

I find scars crazy sexy no matter what they are from. I tried cutting myself a few times when I was a lot younger, but never made feel like I thought it would. I stopped cause of that and now just get tattoos.

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

i totally appreciate your words kellie, they are very reassuring. 95% of the time i'm fine. the only thing that worries me is that i've been doing it for ten years now, so the growing out of option aint looking too good. but who knows?
    I dont know what to say about that. I know alot of times doctors who know about this will make you go to an inpatient treatment center involuntarily, if harmful behaviour continues. Ive seen people lose their kids because of this. Ive seen people seriously fuck themselves up.
    You said youve been in treatment for years. If nothing else has worked, and its not interfering with personal relationships, or work. I dont think its as harmful as other things you could be doing.

Vaughn's Avatar Walking Sucker Punch...
    Remember that hole you dug in the yard that time?

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I once got a B on a term paper I thought was damn good on the topic of therapeutic impact of self-mutilation. It was for an upper level seminar on abnormal psychology. Recently the topic has come up over and over again. I think some new service did a story on some "goth" girl who cut herself or something. I don't think it is a good idea to bust out the X-acto knives if you don't feel an urge, but I do think that sometimes physical pain can have mental benefits.
    I mutilate and abuse myself on many level for a variety of reasons (drinking, drugs, knives, relationships, fire). Most recently was the fire incident. I have been off and on dealing with a terrible break up and I know a lot of the things I've done have stemmed from trying to cope with that. I find that giving myself something else to concentrate on helps but at the same time I wind up in doomed relationships, drinking myself to coma or at best with burn scars to contend with...I suppose it's all about the distraction with me. Something else to think about besides any pain I might feel.

Well, I started self-mutilation at a young age because of things that happened to me when I was young. I didn't understand why something like that had to happen to me. Confusion, hurt and anger probably are the main contributing factors when it came down to cutting. I found that physical pain can out weigh mental pain; it was my placebo. Another one of those mind over matter things that I routinely do and to this day I'm still a victim of that. Only on occasions when I feel that it's the only way out. Sometimes you have to hurt yourself in order to not hurt other people, so I guess it's not totally a selfish thing.

I remember getting in trouble in high school for some stupid asshole because he asked me to cut him, cause I was a cutter. I resisted for a really long time and after he asked me about a million times, I obliged him. I split school on that Friday showed up that Monday to cops and principals first thing in the morning, gotta love that. “The victim” claimed that he didn’t ask me to cut him (which I later made him admit while representing myself in court). Eventually family and children services found out about the mutilation and the self-mutilation and were on my parents asses about it. It wasn't their fault. Anyway I almost got taken away from my parents because the state seen it as neglect. I served time, I got a lovely vacation to the mental ward, kicked out of school, sent out of state, served 180 hrs community service at the humane society in Louisville, Kentucky (gotta love the puppy poo) and I am now known as "The Leader of the Satanic Cult in Griffin, Georgia”. Seriously if there was a cult there I would have known about it. They just want to make a example of you. There is a longer story but I won't go into that now. But that's something I experienced in regard to self-mutilation.

P.S. Now that little fuck face that I cut up is in prison for ****. Isn’t it funny how everything works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Szandora
    Well, I started self-mutilation at a young age because of things that happened to me when I was young. I didn't understand why something like that had to happen to me. Confusion, hurt and anger probably are the main contributing factors when it came down to cutting. I found that physical pain can out weigh mental pain; it was my placebo. Another one of those mind over matter things that I routinely do and to this day I'm still a victim of that. Only on occasions when I feel that it's the only way out. Sometimes you have to hurt yourself in order to not hurt other people, so I guess it's not totally a selfish thing.

I remember getting in trouble in high school for some stupid asshole because he asked me to cut him, cause I was a cutter. I resisted for a really long time and after he asked me about a million times, I obliged him. I split school on that Friday showed up that Monday to cops and principals first thing in the morning, gotta love that. “The victim” claimed that he didn’t ask me to cut him (which I later made him admit while representing myself in court). Eventually family and children services found out about the mutilation and the self-mutilation and were on my parents asses about it. It wasn't their fault. Anyway I almost got taken away from my parents because the state seen it as neglect. I served time, I got a lovely vacation to the mental ward, kicked out of school, sent out of state, served 180 hrs community service at the humane society in Louisville, Kentucky (gotta love the puppy poo) and I am now known as "The Leader of the Satanic Cult in Griffin, Georgia”. Seriously if there was a cult there I would have known about it. They just want to make a example of you. There is a longer story but I won't go into that now. But that's something I experienced in regard to self-mutilation.

P.S. Now that little fuck face that I cut up is in prison for ****. Isn’t it funny how everything works out.
    How were you able to make them admit what they did?

How were you able to make them admit what they did?
    You have the right to face your accuser in court. I have all the tapes from my trials. It's pretty funny. The prosecutor doubted the victim's story; he pretty much helped me with questions to fish the truth out of him.

He also brought a knife to school the same day that I cut him and carved a big pentagram into the lunch table I was sitting at with it, he also turned my ex's lighter down with the knife because my ex's razorblade wouldn't do it.

So I questioned him about doing that in school and you know me... I wasn't nice about it... eventually the dumb ass folded and admitted to both lies.

It didn’t clear me because obviously I did the crime. I admitted to it. But that sparked a whole new court trial for him cause it's illegal to bring a weapon to school and when he was previously asked about it in court he lied, which in that case he committed perjury. mwahahahaha

DyingSunshine's Avatar Senior Member

You have the right to face your accuser in court. I have all the tapes from my trials. It's pretty funny. The prosecutor doubted the victim's story; he pretty much helped me with questions to fish the truth out of him.

He also brought a knife to school the same day that I cut him and carved a big pentagram into the lunch table I was sitting at with it, he also turned my ex's lighter down with the knife because my ex's razorblade wouldn't do it.

So I questioned him about doing that in school and you know me... I wasn't nice about it... eventually the dumb ass folded and admitted to both lies.

It didn’t clear me because obviously I did the crime. I admitted to it. But that sparked a whole new court trial for him cause it's illegal to bring a weapon to school and when he was previously asked about it in court he lied, which in that case he committed perjury. mwahahahaha

That tape is seriously some of the funniest shit I've ever seen.

So, Ms.Blah blah blah.. could you tell the court what a pentagram is?

"why don't you ask him what his knife looked like?"

Quote Originally Posted by DyingSunshine
    That tape is seriously some of the funniest shit I've ever seen.

So, Ms.Blah blah blah.. could you tell the court what a pentagram is?

"why don't you ask him what his knife looked like?"

Yes, Sir.. A pentagram is a circle with an inverted 5 point star inside.

My favoirite question was...

Did you mention anything like "Satan Loves You" after you cut him?

Yes, Sir... Only after the victim's girlfriend kept telling me "Jesus Loves Me". In reply... I told her.. "Well, God created Satan so I guess he loves you too.. Satan loves you too."

A problem may be that I have a tendancy to take people's crap, and let them walk all over me in most cases.

That is due to my being extremely paranoid and superstitious about Karma, Curses, Etc. That prevents me from defending myself like I should, even when I am completely justified.

I dont know exactly how to explain, but I am incredibly paranoid about that kind of stuff, and tend to punish myself and obsess about trivial arguments, semantics,etc, even when the matter is not my fault at all.

An example for the Self Cutting in the above threads, is that even though I was completely innocent, the girls at the college lied about me, and said I tried to do stuff to them. Even though I got proven innocent, since there were witnesses around, etc, the college still treated me like a common criminal, and wouldnt even let me goto the library. (Yes,Yes, you have all probably read this in the other post from the start of this month.) Anyways, even though I was completely innocent, I almost slit my wrists several times, due to the depression of being so wrongfully accused, and being called a liar, especially since I dont lie at all, and get into trouble because of that.

Im not sure how to put into words what I am trying to convey, but maybe you understand what I mean? If so, let me know.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Okay, it is morbidly funny, but it is funny. I knew the rest, of course, but I didn't know the footnote.

Glad you are feeling better by the way
    *hugs*

especially since I dont lie at all

Seriously, not trying to sound mean, or harsh.. or whatever.. but we all lie. It's called human nature. If you think you don't lie, you're lying to yourself.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I have all the tapes from my trials. It's pretty funny.
    You gotta cut together a best of tape sometime...I'm kinda curious to see em now.

A problem may be that I have a tendancy to take people's crap, and let them walk all over me in most cases.

That is due to my being extremely paranoid and superstitious about Karma, Curses, Etc. That prevents me from defending myself like I should, even when I am completely justified.

I dont know exactly how to explain, but I am incredibly paranoid about that kind of stuff, and tend to punish myself and obsess about trivial arguments, semantics,etc, even when the matter is not my fault at all.

An example for the Self Cutting in the above threads, is that even though I was completely innocent, the girls at the college lied about me, and said I tried to do stuff to them. Even though I got proven innocent, since there were witnesses around, etc, the college still treated me like a common criminal, and wouldnt even let me goto the library. (Yes,Yes, you have all probably read this in the other post from the start of this month.) Anyways, even though I was completely innocent, I almost slit my wrists several times, due to the depression of being so wrongfully accused, and being called a liar, especially since I dont lie at all, and get into trouble because of that.

Im not sure how to put into words what I am trying to convey, but maybe you understand what I mean? If so, let me know.
    Well, in your case that wouldn't be called "attempted" self-mutalation it would be called "considering" suicide.

A cutter doesn't cut themselves to end their lives.. They do it to continue their lives in denial, to make the pain subside.

P.S. I thought they accused you of saying stuff not trying to do stuff to them. Which is it?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Seriously, not trying to sound mean, or harsh.. or whatever.. but we all lie. It's called human nature. If you think you don't lie, you're lying to yourself.
    I try to make sure I never lie about never lying and always back up by lying about the fact I never lie to prove that I do indeed lie about lying.

Im not saying i never lied. I used to lie, but stopped lying completely when I turned 8 or 9 years old.

I have no problem with people asking me any question, so ask me any question you like, and the answer will be completely Honest.

Okay, it is morbidly funny, but it is funny. I knew the rest, of course, but I didn't know the footnote.

*hugs*
    Redneck Rapist gets jail time after stint of time dealing with Griffin's Satanic cult.

*hugs*
    Yea. I found that out not too long ago.. At least he had one woman to have put him place and at least he has a nice big scar to look at on his arm everyday to remind himself. ahahahahahaha

Thanks.. whew... feel lots better now.

+ Reply to Thread