+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something That I Have Noticed About Vampires:

Default Something That I Have Noticed About Vampires:

Apparently, Almost every culture that has existed, aside from Roman culture, has had Vampires of some sort in their History,Traditions,Legends,Etc.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Something That I Have Noticed About Vampires:

ummm...ok.

How about putting some effort into this revelation...like examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    ummm...ok.

How about putting some effort into this revelation...like examples.
    Some Examples of Undead from Various Cultures would be:

Chupa Cabra- Spanish/Mexican

Banshees-Irish/Scottish

Vampires like Dracula- Trynsylvanian. Even though that is in Romania, they didnt have Vampires in Roman culture (The Ceasar type Romans.).

Sumarian- Possessed Corpses, brought to life through rituals

Greek- Dead escaping from Hades' realm, and other types as well.

Native American- Dont remember exact examples, but there was some story about some man or group of people that came back to life,even though they were decapitated in war.

European (sp)- Vampires ,Zombies, Ghouls, Banshees,etc

Middle Eastern-Mummies, Warriors of Anubis, and many other types of Undead , and other "Supernatural" Entities.

Vikings- Again, I remember tales of stuff, but not any specific Lore.

Africa- Similar to the Native American stuff, but they also have other types of Legends as well.

Even though I dont currently remember all of the different types, almost every culture except for the Ancient Romans have had Undead of some sort.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Some Examples of Undead from Various Cultures would be:

Chupa Cabra- Spanish/Mexican

Banshees-Irish/Scottish
    Banshee's have ZERO to do with Vampires...and "Undead" is too general a term. Plus the Romans had many undead tales...look at the gods they worshiped.

Chupacabra...that's more along the lines of Bigfoot and stuff like that.

Mexico is filled with much better stories of the undead and witchcraft than ole Chupacabra.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Banshee's have ZERO to do with Vampires...and "Undead" is too general a term. Plus the Romans had many undead tales...look at the gods they worshiped.

Chupacabra...that's more along the lines of Bigfoot and stuff like that.

Mexico is filled with much better stories of the undead and witchcraft than ole Chupacabra.
    Yep, they have some sort of festival in mexico that is similar to Halloween, but different at the same time, that is all about undead stuff.

As I said before, I wasnt exactly sure of the other examples like those above.

Also, where are the Roman Undead stuff? Any links, etc? I have never been able to find any.

Also, If I am wrong about that stuff, then I apologize. I am going by what I have been able to find, and by what people have told me.

Oh, would you know of any places to locate good stories about stuff like that?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Yep, they have some sort of festival in mexico that is similar to Halloween, but different at the same time, that is all about undead stuff.
    That's the Day of the Dead.

Also, where are the Roman Undead stuff? Any links, etc? I have never been able to find any.
    1. Learn Latin

2. You don't have to look too hard. One look at the gods they worshiped...to us it's not mythology...to them it was NOT. So that right their gives you a huge wealth of great tales. They did take much of their stuff from the greeks after all...also you have to look at how they saw the dead. It was in a much more "cult of the dead" kinda way. The roman cemetaries were huge in their collection of elaborate status symbol like grave markers and tombs. Plus you have to remember Rome was an Empire that enveloped many cultures...so that too became part of rome...and the MANY cults that rose and feel in it's age. The most famous being one cult that worshiped a man who rose from the dead and ascended toward paradise. Hell of a tale that one is...You have to look at Rome in a diffrent way to see what you want to find.

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have any links?

CeruleanSpectre's Avatar Junior Member

Chupacabra means "goat sucker." It ate goats.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have any links?
    Actually I do on my old laptop when I took a Mythology class years back. Wether those sites are up is another question...best bet is too see if any University Mythology classess have the links up that they give to students...it tends to be the most current stuff.

I'd start with a good book though...Rosenberg's World Mythology is a good starting point. I still use it as a refrence to this day.

I'll ask the GF though...she's deeper into that age than I am.

whats wrong with vampires im one myself PSI vampire

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

look here for more...http://www.parascope.com/en/articles/vampires03.htm
    the romans do too have a vampire legend, myth, whatever you want to call it... can't remember the specific term for it but they do have one.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    look here for more...http://www.parascope.com/en/articles/vampires03.htm
    the romans do too have a vampire legend, myth, whatever you want to call it... can't remember the specific term for it but they do have one.
    K
    Whoa, Cool, Thanks!

i've got more... try the the Myths and histories links on this page... http://www.geocities.com/vampiricstudies/index.html . the rest of the site is a little kooky, but the myths and shit are all right on.
    K

I havent found any Roman Vampires there yet though.

koolagh's Avatar Resident Barbarian

In traditional vampire lore (pre-Anne Rice) vampires were repelled by crucifixes. Yet they continued to feed upon christians. Why? Why not feed upon a jew/pagan/buddhist/muslim or even an atheist or two? (By the way, just being fascitious)

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

I havent found any Roman Vampires there yet though.
    I believe the Romans refered to vampires as 'Lamia'
    Try searching for it on google.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Quote Originally Posted by koolagh
    In traditional vampire lore (pre-Anne Rice) vampires were repelled by crucifixes. Yet they continued to feed upon christians. Why? Why not feed upon a jew/pagan/buddhist/muslim or even an atheist or two? (By the way, just being fascitious)
    I believe something I read by Joseph Campbell talked about how various kind of vampire-like creatures were repelled by various religious symbols and even spiritual figures. In many Buddhist faith most everyone could be converted to Buddhism, undead, demon or not. So, maybe that's why there not to big on feeding on Buddhists, anyway.

In a little bit of modern lore, I thought it was interesting how it was presented that a vampire is not so much repelled by holy symbols, but what is held in belief and spiritual respect. So, if you believe in a cross, it is powerful. If you believe in yourself, then the undead are repelled by one's mere presence (like various Saints and various Gods, like amongst the Hindu faiths). Now, I shall end my pontificating nerd-dom.

Don't feel bad Memorydream.. i was going there next. its the same as the police officer's badge doesn't stop a criminal because its a police officer's badge, it stops the criminal because the cop has faith that it will. it is the power of beliefe and the undeterred faith that stops the criminal. like the beliefe that a cross will stop a vampire because the cross is imbued with the holy spirit. and since vampires are "demons" anyhting concerning god or the holy spirit will repel the "demon". myths from ages gone by.
    K

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

Don't feel bad Memorydream.. i was going there next. its the same as the police officer's badge doesn't stop a criminal because its a police officer's badge, it stops the criminal because the cop has faith that it will. it is the power of beliefe and the undeterred faith that stops the criminal. like the beliefe that a cross will stop a vampire because the cross is imbued with the holy spirit. and since vampires are "demons" anyhting concerning god or the holy spirit will repel the "demon". myths from ages gone by.
    K
    I dunno. I could see myself putting a bullet through a cops badge if need be.
    Fortunately, I'm a law abiding citizen who doesn't exist on or off 'the grid.'

i'm guessing alot of it is a "guilt" thing, too, as far as the badge scenario goes. the bad guy stops because he knows hes done something wrong and the guy with the badge means he's been caught.
    if iwere a vampire i wouldn't feend simply on christians, i don't think... heck, johova's witnesses come right up to my door...meals on wheels...
    K

i'm guessing alot of it is a "guilt" thing, too, as far as the badge scenario goes. the bad guy stops because he knows hes done something wrong and the guy with the badge means he's been caught.
    if iwere a vampire i wouldn't feend simply on christians, i don't think... heck, johova's witnesses come right up to my door...meals on wheels...
    K
    Well, really, there are a lot Christians. Of course, if you're in India you might be hard up for an ever-lovin' bit o' Jesus-freak.

Oh wait, if Mormons come even close to counting as Christians you'd be pretty fat. But, oh, how wonderful would that be. And we could all throw gigantic dinner parties at temple for you. I'll lock the doors, for you!

hehehee. sounds like fun! should i bring something?
    K

hehehee. sounds like fun! should i bring something?
    K
    A camera!

but will the vamps show up on film? or was that witches?...
    K

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

As for the Native American vampires, there's a Tlingit legend on how mosquitoes were created. There was a monster that would eat the hearts and drink the blood of people, a warrior killed the monster and cut its heart out, in doing so, every drop of blood that dripped out of the heart became a mosquito so it could continue to ravage the tribe.

but will the vamps show up on film? or was that witches?...
    K
    I'd like to think they will. It would be fun to have a film of that and have mirrors in the background, just to make it look even more surreal. Isn't that like fantasizing in a fantasy though?

it would be fun to see a vamp on film... I don't know if you can fantasise with in a fantasy... i think it's just one fantasy...

the mosquito legend is diff fer like every tribe that was plauged by the blood thirsty beasts. cathrine only has a few of the legends and myths on her site. i'm sure there are at lease a 100 more that aren't up there or any where else for that matter...
    K

I cant remember all of the details, but there was some Native American story about some monster that was like a man, but after it got it's head cut off, it grew back, but with Coal Black Eyes, and had White and Blue Skin , instead.

Although I was around somewhere between 2 to 5 years old when I saw the movie about that story, so the details may be mixed up.

it would be fun to see a vamp on film... I don't know if you can fantasise with in a fantasy... i think it's just one fantasy...

the mosquito legend is diff fer like every tribe that was plauged by the blood thirsty beasts. cathrine only has a few of the legends and myths on her site. i'm sure there are at lease a 100 more that aren't up there or any where else for that matter...
    K
    I apologize, french nuance moment there.

+ Reply to Thread