+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Biting the Hand That Feeds?

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Default Biting the Hand That Feeds?

Nine Inch Nails Drops Out of MTV Show

LOS ANGELES (May 28) - Nine Inch Nails dropped out of the MTV Movie Awards after clashing with the network over an image of President Bush the band planned as a performance backdrop.

The Bush image was to accompany the song "The Hand That Feeds," which obliquely criticizes the Iraq war. It includes the lyrics: "What if this whole crusade's a charade / And behind it all there's a price to be paid / For the blood on which we dine / Justified in the name of the holy and the divine."

MTV said in a statement to its news division that the network was disappointed the industrial rock band would not perform but had been "uncomfortable with their performance being built around a partisan political statement."

The Foo Fighters will perform in place of the Trent Reznor-led band at the awards being taped June 4 in Los Angeles.

Reznor said in a statement posted on the band's Web site Thursday that the image of the president would have been unaltered and "straightforward."

"Apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me," he said.

Nine Inch Nails' fourth studio album and first in six years, "With Teeth," debuted this month at No. 1 in sales.

05/28/05 15:15 EDT

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Biting the Hand That Feeds?

oh ho ho, rezner you are too sharp.

I think its funny how MTV plays it "safe" when it comes to anything political these days. I remember when MTV first started and they where cutting edge now they dont even play videos that much anymore. its all real world type of shows. and they never had any problems showing U2 doing anything political in the past.
    Jello said it best "MTV get off the air"

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Oddly enough...given how unamazing his latest album is...I'd rather see the Foo Fighters. Seems a bit odd on MTV's part but to an extent I can understand it...where was Reznor during the election year with this? He's a bit late to the party so to speak with his now painfully cliche political rant.

I'd of thought he'd at least be more creative about it...I mean what the fuck was he thinking? That's the kind of shit that makes Green Day look silly and ruined Rage Against The Machine...

Stick to what you're good at Trent...please?

MTV said in a statement to its news division that the network was disappointed the industrial rock band would not perform but had been "uncomfortable with their performance being built around a partisan political statement."
    I want that as a tatoonext to the MTV logo and of course the date, to commemorate the day my childhood officially died. Yeah I know, MTV hsa always been a pretty big corperation and marketing machine, but at least they used to pretend they were rebels. And even though most of us admitted they sucked these days, they never really went out of thier way to force us to accept it. This officially marks the day CNN rocks more than MTV. I mean wow, there is no Santa.

Nuada_Airgetlam's Avatar Just A Wolf

well mtv has officially killed themselves again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    where was Reznor during the election year with this? He's a bit late to the party so to speak with his now painfully cliche political rant.
    you know I have been thinking that about all of the so called punk bands in general. I mean, there was a helluva lot more political songs during the Reagan admin. then there is today but nothing has really changed politicly since then. the only thing that has changed is the bands, the music, and people but all the things that the political bands would sing about is pretty much still going on today. thats why most of your clasic punk songs are still pertinent today. like FEAR lets start a war is one of my favorites. strait and to the point and still a song that will remain pertinent as long as politicians wage wars.

Bedlamite

I also seem to remember a time when MTV was young and oriented to the political left. *blinks* Sometimes I forget that they are especially a line-towning middle-of-the-road organization now. *shakes head* Maybe they were traumatized by turning out a generation of Ravers, Goths, and Freaks.

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

NIN are finally coming back to Australia in August...I saw them last time (Alternative Nation festival waaay back in '94) they were here. I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

Heheh... Damn - must be that college stuff making me smart... I knew that line was anti-Bush... Anybody worried about free speech? Well it isn't free when it is brought to you by a zillion dollars worth of advertising. Funny how MTV and their sponsors have figured out what Catholic priests have known for centuries - get 'em while they're young.

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

Wait a minute..don't we live in a country that promtes FREE SPEECH? That's just plain stupid. (as well as BUSH...). MTV is a big pussy. They should have let NIN perform and just let it alone....we should have the freedom to express ourselves in any way we choose. Especially musicians and artists. Why should the gv't stifle it? Why should MTV...a station that was known for pissing people off and innovative ideas for TV shows, etc....they have turned wuss.
    Shoot, MTV doesn't even PLAY real music anymore..just poopie TV shows that no one wants to see...what happened to the days of 'video killed the radio star?'. Sad...Sad...Sad....

Quote Originally Posted by sunkarma
    what happened to the days of 'video killed the radio star?'. Sad...Sad...Sad....

new song - 'napster killed the video star'

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

didn't the dead kennedys do a song a while back about MTV that kind of sums it up, yeah, I'm pretty sure it was them

MTV has every right to control the content of thier shows, they are just asses for doing it here. That's why there are other channels and music shows. Call your cable company asn ask for more non MTV channels. That whole money thing works both ways. Few million viewers decide they like Fuse or Trio better than MTV and maybe they will get the hint.

naw, mtv did that allready. they shunned the rock community. then when fuse started up and started beating them in ratings, they said hey this is marketable! and they made mtv2 exclusivley play rock music.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    naw, mtv did that allready. they shunned the rock community. then when fuse started up and started beating them in ratings, they said hey this is marketable! and they made mtv2 exclusivley play rock music.
    I'm still waiting for their all MTV animation channel...I miss Liquid Television...

And where the hell is The State dammit? If they can show 20,000 real world/road rules re-runs they can show an episode of The State...ans Dead at 21...and that other show where everyone is having sex.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

They *used to* show Rage Against The Machine videos and stuff...
    I guess not anymore.
    I'd love to see them admit that they are politically censoring their content.

My guess is that they don't want to offend the 51% of the country that
    voted for Bush...

Lame...

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

now, the real kicker to it it is that dave groll(or however his name is spelled) was a huge kerry supporter during the election period, he even came out here and helped volunteers phone up undecided voters and he helped trent out on the album with percussions (first time i think trent has not used a drum machine to make an album)

and isnt mtv the channel that came out with rock the vote?

vote or die motherfucker!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    They *used to* show Rage Against The Machine videos and stuff...
    I guess not anymore.
    I'd love to see them admit that they are politically censoring their content.

My guess is that they don't want to offend the 51% of the country that
    voted for Bush...

Lame...
    talking about indiference.....

Escalot's Avatar Member
    Third star to the left, and on til morning...

Isn't it kinda ironic that Grohl is replacing NIN when he drummed for them on With Teeth?

I don't think MTV should have bother with the politics, and if there are that many people who would be offenced by NIN's statement then not just MTV but the whole damn world has got to worry about the mental state of possible the most powerful country in the world...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Escalot
    Isn't it kinda ironic that Grohl is replacing NIN when he drummed for them on With Teeth?

I don't think MTV should have bother with the politics, and if there are that many people who would be offenced by NIN's statement then not just MTV but the whole damn world has got to worry about the mental state of possible the most powerful country in the world...
    What really makes this silly though is those who would get offended would not be watching the MTV movie awards anyhow...though to be honest even those that wouldn't bet offended by it would not be watching...really the only ones who miss out here are NIN fans.

personally i remember all the politics in music latly that i see as over played that are anti bush, like greenday and mtv plays them all the time, but honestly im seeing its not about the music or the statment, to stay to the facts we are yet to see this poster backdrop... honestly something that may slightly bother me may terrify you and give you nightmares... id been nice if trent put it up on his site, but he hasn't... i think they should be allowed to play but lets remember its not the message its how the message is being sent, mtv might be pussys but this backdrop also might be something more then we think... because even tho they wouldnt push like they use to they let madonna do the virgin song dressed the way she did back in the day were that way like janets nipple superbowl thing, all things that are not much but things they have pushed the boundries... i think mtv just doesnt want to be the one to push the boundry with trent's back ground... wish we could see it but sucks we can't...

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

I did vote.

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

the advert on mtv2 says nin are still playing I would get up and change the channel but the remotes dead and i broke the buttons i the cable box when i was flicking through.............DAMN IT!!

+ Reply to Thread