+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Default What are you reading?

I have just finished these:

Sex, Art and American Culture by Camille Paglia Interesting book. Her take on being part of the 60's generation gets more than a little overbearing and repetitive. I'd have probably enjoyed her writing more if I'd read it in small bits.

Testosterone by James Rober Baker This was very good. A good modern noir tale set in and around LA. Bonus points for very interesting narrative.

The Fall by Albert Camus I am still highly obsessed with Camus and I didn't like this one as much as I'd liked The Stranger. Still very good. Lyrical beautiful prose.

The Last Sex: Feminism and Outlaw Bodies (Culturetexts) Excellent collection of work. I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Ok your turn.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading a giant Max Allan Collins collection of classic noir short stories and a Donald Trump real estate book and I'm keeping a book on how to manage one's energy better in the bathroom.

That Testosterone book looks like just my cup o' blood. Going to check that out. Thanks for the suggestion Nudemuse. Now I am going to my happy meditation place with you in the titty bar with us. Hope you don't mind.

If you like I can give you my copy. It's all pretty and shiny.

I don't mind at all. In fact I might just go imagine that for myself. Since it's his titty bar I imagine I get free drinks and lots of the tig ole bitties in my face. We all know how much I like that.

Especially when aforementioned tig ole bitties aren't mine.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

a welding textbook. finals are this week

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    a welding textbook. finals are this week
    hey,i want to hear the results .........

i'm not reading anythign at the moment,but i just finished a few books,i'm kinda taking a break,it's the summer,i gots fun to be had(on the roads..........

and since when the hell is a pool hall closed at 10:00.........

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    hey,i want to hear the results .........
    so far I have gotten all A's and B's on all my tests (Lab and Lecture) . I allways get A's and B's in all my classes

not quite a book or anything but cool reading......

it's short erotic Horror stories........there's a ton of them on their,some goo some bad.....

you gotta go through the letters....

http://english.literotica.com/storie...gory=51&page=8

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Right now I am reading the following...

The Tiananmen Papers - A Highly controversial collection of "official" Chinese government records about the events surrounding the entire Tiananmen Square "incident". Given that it's near impossible to authenticate the records few will say it's 100% accurate but many do feel they are the real deal...if you have any interest in the event it's a must read. It may not be authoritative at this point in history but it's about as close as one can get to what was going behind the scenes.

The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich - I read it as a kid and teen and really only understood so much. I learned a lot from it but reading it again now I can see how much I really missed. I like doing this with books that have made an impact on me and this one did not so much for its subject matter (While the book is as important as ever there has been much more learned since the 1990's when so many top secret and protected files were released from ALL nations involved in that era) but more on how it was written, told, and compiled. It's opening chapters are some of the finest ever written in terms of tackling such a monster of a man and organization.

Ranma 1/2 - This classic manga pretty much ages like all of Rumiko Takahashi's work...it doesn't. It's timeless with a sense of pacing and comedic timing that within 5 pages has you in love. It's one of those things that you can HATE Japanese comics and Anime and still enjoy because it does not use it's genre, style, or background as a crutch. It never trys to appeal to a certain audience or fan...it never insults the intelligence or goes for cheap gags. The humor comes from well executed characters, situations, and that mythic X-Factor that makes it all come alive.

"The Damnation Game" by, Clive Barker. It's an awesome read, as is every book I have read by him.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by alien_fetus
    "The Damnation Game" by, Clive Barker. It's an awesome read, as is every book I have read by him.
    Very good book...one of his top three by far.

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    I have just finished these:

Sex, Art and American Culture by Camille Paglia Interesting book. Her take on being part of the 60's generation gets more than a little overbearing and repetitive. I'd have probably enjoyed her writing more if I'd read it in small bits.

Testosterone by James Rober Baker This was very good. A good modern noir tale set in and around LA. Bonus points for very interesting narrative.

The Fall by Albert Camus I am still highly obsessed with Camus and I didn't like this one as much as I'd liked The Stranger. Still very good. Lyrical beautiful prose.

The Last Sex: Feminism and Outlaw Bodies (Culturetexts) Excellent collection of work. I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Ok your turn.

I'm reading everything she's done with... a trail of dog ear'd pages from here to there.

Not that I mind... she has decent taste... and taste good as well

Quote Originally Posted by HempKnight
    I'm reading everything she's done with... a trail of dog ear'd pages from here to there.

Not that I mind... she has decent taste... and taste good as well

i used to do the same thing,with me x.....and she tasted good too .......

guess i'm too lazy to get my own books.....

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I just reread Dostoevsky's Demons and Crime and Punishment. I have a book review on Demons at One Eyed Cat. Both should be required reading for those who wish to understand pre-revolutionary Russia. Dark Eros and Care of the Soul by Thomas Moore have also kept the old lamplight aflame. Dark Eros is an interesting glimpse into the soul through the demented lens of the Marquis de Sade.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I'm reading a giant Max Allan Collins collection of classic noir short stories and a Donald Trump real estate book and I'm keeping a book on how to manage one's energy better in the bathroom.

That Testosterone book looks like just my cup o' blood. Going to check that out. Thanks for the suggestion Nudemuse. Now I am going to my happy meditation place with you in the titty bar with us. Hope you don't mind.
    Pittsburgh, I tell ya, Pittsburgh. I'll even throw in some Steelers tickets for Forrest.
    http://www.pittsburghmoves.com/ (Southside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shadyside)
    http://pghgoth.com
    http://pittpunk.com
    http://www.therobotoproject.org
    http://mrsmalls.com
    http://phlf.org
    http://www.pittsburghsymphony.org
    http://www.pitt.edu
    http://www.pgharts.org/
    http://www.pghfilmmakers.org/
    http://www.pittsburghartscouncil.org/
    http://www.culturalguide.com/
    http://www.pittsburgharts.org/main.asp

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

pittsburgh sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    pittsburgh sucks
    I've had a great time here. You just have to take the initiative. People start venues here on a shoestring. A lot of good people live here. Think what you will.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I've had a great time here. You just have to take the initiative. People start venues here on a shoestring. A lot of good people live here. Think what you will.

OEC
    It ain't all that bad... but they have that cold shit there...
    ummm... SNOW...yeah... that's it... if not for that, be all about it.

Would kill for some wonderful Amish furniture though.

Quote Originally Posted by HempKnight
    It ain't all that bad... but they have that cold shit there...
    ummm... SNOW...yeah... that's it... if not for that, be all about it.

Would kill for some wonderful Amish furniture though.
    I like the snow personally. Pittsburgh has helped me get acclimated for when I work abroad (similar climate to Kyiv) Amish furniture is indeed the shit. There are a number of outlets online, but it probably would be hell to ship out. The winters have actually been a lot less brutal than I expected. PA is tropical compared to Montana.

OEC

I'm reading the Disinfomation book 'Everything You Know Is Wrong'. Super good

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    I'm reading the Disinfomation book 'Everything You Know Is Wrong'. Super good

Do they do those stickers too? If it is the company I am thinking of, we hung out with their head honcho in Texas and he was super-cool.

OEC

How close is Pittsburgh to Philly? I've spent time both places, but not in a while and not at the same time.

i just got a new stripin' book today,actually....ups must of bee hualin' ass......

How close is Pittsburgh to Philly? I've spent time both places, but not in a while and not at the same time.

About 260 miles...
    mmmm... cheesesteak.... Geno's on 9th... dammit... where's Scottie and the teleporter when you need him??

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    i just got a new stripin' book today,actually....ups must of bee hualin' ass......

Is that like for putting stripes on cars or something else?

Is that like for putting stripes on cars or something else?
    yea,it's really a rod trend,from the ol' days....

it's not just putting a straight line down the sde of the car,shit gets wild........

this isnt my work,just an example....(this is from BilletProof last week)

Do they do those stickers too? If it is the company I am thinking of, we hung out with their head honcho in Texas and he was super-cool.

Was it this guy?
    These DVDs are super cool as well.

All that in my post and I forgot to say what I'm reading now.

Dark Matter Reading the Bones I started reading it on the ferry last night and so far it's very good. I love anthologies and this one will probably be a permanent fixture in my collection.

Right this second I'm reading a PDF of Fight Club mostly out of sheer boredom. It's not my favorite of Palahniuk's books but it's enjoyable. I have a copy of Choke sitting about four feet away from me. I like that one a lot better. The structure and way the narrative is written is chunky and enjoyable.

I think coming up next I want to read Speak, Memory : An Autobiography Revisited by Nabokov. His writing amazes me.

Or maybe Best Short Stories of J. G. Ballard that looks to be really good.

Who knows.

Usually when I set out to read something I almost always wind up finding something else entirely unrelated. Or I discover something while crawling around the used book stores that I absolutely have to have.

There's also the wonder of Value Village. Usually I come out with fifteen pounds of books and a skirt. But always worth it.

OEC
    haha. I'm just kidding. I just said that cuz you posted like a million things about how cool it is. I've never been there I don't think, maybe I have... it was one of the P's that amelia was asking about. Actually I hope to spend some time In William Penn's state in the near future, if im in the area i'll check it out.

haha. I'm just kidding. I just said that cuz you posted like a million things about how cool it is. I've never been there I don't think, maybe I have... it was one of the P's that amelia was asking about. Actually I hope to spend some time In William Penn's state in the near future, if im in the area i'll check it out.
    I'll try to sell you on the place if you're in town

OEC

Pittsburgh is on the west side of the Keystone State. It's a 4-5 hour drive from Philly or DC. A lot of the outlying areas here are still green, tho. The outlying areas remind me of Portland, OR. You'd like it when you saw how much you coul get/do here. It's like settling a post-industrial apocalypse town.

OEC

(I have never stopped missing Northern Cali tho either. Probably a romantic )

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I haven't really ahd time to read lately I have been really immerese with other things right now.

I read all of Patrick O'Briems Navel stories....The Jack Aubery?Stepen Marturin cannon's quite good if you like Napoleanic War history and British Navel excitment and lifestyle.

but I haven't really picked up much....Nothing to interesting and am CHipping away on Stephen Hawkins "On The SHoulders Of Giants" I thought this book would be way to intense but it's not, just alot of math...but it's a thinking book and very amusing to read about some of the great thinker sof our times and thier ideas.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

"Last time I read a book..I was ra ped"

"If theres one thing I've learned from reading , is that reading never taught me anything"

sorry.. feeling goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    All that in my post and I forgot to say what I'm reading now.

Dark Matter Reading the Bones I started reading it on the ferry last night and so far it's very good. I love anthologies and this one will probably be a permanent fixture in my collection.

Right this second I'm reading a PDF of Fight Club mostly out of sheer boredom. It's not my favorite of Palahniuk's books but it's enjoyable. I have a copy of Choke sitting about four feet away from me. I like that one a lot better. The structure and way the narrative is written is chunky and enjoyable.

I think coming up next I want to read Speak, Memory : An Autobiography Revisited by Nabokov. His writing amazes me.

Or maybe Best Short Stories of J. G. Ballard that looks to be really good.

Who knows.

Usually when I set out to read something I almost always wind up finding something else entirely unrelated. Or I discover something while crawling around the used book stores that I absolutely have to have.

There's also the wonder of Value Village. Usually I come out with fifteen pounds of books and a skirt. But always worth it.

I think Fight Club was one of those rare instances where the movie actually managed to be better than the book. I think I may have seen interviews with Palahniuk where he said he thought that too and was pleased to be involved in a movie based on a book which, unlike most, was not a fiasco. What Palahniuk books do you like best?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

No, I don't think that was the right one. I believe we met the disinformation folks at that video conferance thing over at the Roosevelt.

I think Fight Club was one of those rare instances where the movie actually managed to be better than the book. I think I may have seen interviews with Palahniuk where he said he thought that too and was pleased to be involved in a movie based on a book which, unlike most, was not a fiasco. What Palahniuk books do you like best?
    yeah, it varies day to day as to which one I like better. I guess it depends on my mood, on a good day- the movie, on a bad day- the book. (If you have not read/seen one or the other, they have different endings.)

but most of the sequences that were changed/left out of the movie I liked better in the book, with the exception of the car crash. that sequence was much better in the movie, but I can understand why it was the way it was in the book.

I read the book before I saw the movie and had dragged my feet about seeing the movie. Then I found I really enjoyed it quite a bit. My favorite Palahniuk book is probably Invisible Monsters. I haven't read any of the new ones yet. I think I'm going to read Haunted at some point.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

pittsburgh sucks

haven't read this. who's the author?

last read: Tales of the Dying Earth, the Millennium-imprint collected "Dying Earth" stories and novels by Jack Vance. i can't wait for Peter Jackson to make a film of "The Eyes of the Overworld" with:

Rowan Atkinson as Cugel
    Ian Holm as Iucounu
    some CGI artefact as Firx
    Alexei Sayle as Magnatz

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

atlas shrugged by ayn rand........ again

i suppose it's about time I bought a new book

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I'm reading this cool book, "The Diceman" by Luke Rhinehart.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

I'm reading Alice... i've read it quite a few times, i love it...

A Sherlock Holmes "short storries" book...

and a Corporate Identiy book...

All with Garfield intervals...

Oh... and Blue Blood Boards.

+ Reply to Thread