+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blade of the Immortal

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Blade of the Immortal

has anyone read this comic book series?

It's a classic revenge tale coupled with an indestructible samurai warrior. It's translated and put out by Dark Horse Comics. To me it still holds up as a masterpeice in it's own right and manages to rise above the medium of typical manga/anime, which frankly has become very cliched some time ago.

I'd love to see it made into an anime series, I think it would be awesome. does anyone have any anime series/movies to reccomend about ninjas or samurai that are more serious/less cartoony animation/based on reality?

there was a series a while back that I can't remember about a young boy that was training to become a ninja. it was pretty good and very detailed, but it still had some fantasy elements to it and it was set in one of those cyberpunkish futuristic combined with primitive tehcnology places and I think it had some monsters and stuff, in other words it was not based on any real history.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Blade of the Immortal

the only comic thing i get Ocasianally is 1313 magazine(coolstuff!)....

i had a roomate before i got here that was nearly addicted to these little 5-10min,anime things ,i think they were on atom films(does that sound right)....

but anywho, it was about a very small kids that was all quite and just straight fucked shit up,i actually thought it was pretty damn cool,and i don't really car for that kinda stuff........

ohh ,that might be the same thing?......

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I've been reading the series off and on since Dark Horse picked it up. Now that it's so heavily collected it's following has increased dramaticly since it's debut. It's one of the few in its style to have refreshing art style mixed with a solid sense of storytelling and character development.

As far as an anime series that is like that...I'll come up with a list later tonight. The series borrowed heavily from the Samurai films of the 60's and 70's to say the least...Cartoon Network is currently airing Samurai Champloo which is one of the better series to be brought over in recent months. It's from the Cowboy Bebop crew and while the english dubbing and translation is not bad...It's one of those series that's more enjoyable on DVD without the commercial interruptions.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

I read most of this a long time ago... it was insanely compelling in the beginning, then lost some steam towards the middle, but came back strong. The art is amazing, the characters are timeless(or time-tested?) and the combination of traditional and modern language is entertaining.

+ Reply to Thread