+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need a monologue for an audition.

Drakken's Avatar Self Proclaimed Deity

Default I need a monologue for an audition.

Does anyone know any sites that have monologues from modern plays?

Preferably VERY dark?
    I'm going to be hitting the library this weekend but I'd like some online sources too.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: I need a monologue for an audition.

If you want something powerful, and emotional, how about a monologue of you talking to a dead person. That could be good. I'm sure there is material out there, but it might work better if you made it up yourself... Or just imagine if someone very close to you died. What would you want to say to them after they are gone? I think that would make for pretty powerful theater.

I was browsing the site and saw your post, so I just registered about a minute ago. In general, the Internet's not a good place to find strong monologues, because (unless it's a classical piece) if they're online, it's probably way overdone. If you have time to get a book, I would recommend a monologue a friend of mine did once from "Quake" by Melanie Marnich. He found it in the 2001 Humana Festival book. It's pretty creepy and messed up. Naomi Iizuka is also a good author for material, as well as Tony Kushner or Richard Greenberg. It depends on your level of how effed up you want it.

Actually, if you want to go more experimental, Richard Foreman posts all of his scripts online and the roles are not always gender specific. It's all solid material, but it can be really out there.

It's also an interesting twist to take a piece out of context and make it dramatic.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind nomo.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken
    Preferably VERY dark?
    http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/cla.../The-Brag.html

it's difficult to ignore something that begins with the words:

"I PICK THE GOD DAMN terror of the fucking gods out of my nose! Pardon my language. But YEEEEEHAW, let the sons of God and man bear witness! Even in the belly of the Thunderbird I've been casting out the False Prophets; I'm busting a gut and blowing my O-ring, and ripe to throw a loaf! For I speak only the fucking Truth, and never in my days have I spoken other than!

praise goddamn "Bob".

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Any scene from Heathers. Funny, dark, and best of all...a guy doing it would add some nice twists to it.

But since it needs to be from a play...pick one of Clive Barkers...dark and twisted as all hell.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

wow, its been.... forever since Ive seen that movie. YOu have inspired me to watch it once more, with fervor.

i enjoy the line from "Man on Fire"...
    Old man : You don't have to punish them..they will ask for forgiveness when they meet with god...
    Denzel (with rocket launcher!): I know.. im here to arrange the meeting..

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

not particularly dark, but how about 'a chip in the sugar' from alan bennetts talking heads? slow descent into madness etc...

there's also a monologue by a pathologist in league of gents series three, starts off talking about his job and ends up discussing his penchant for necrophilia. let me know if you want me to type it up here.

They have to be form modern plays..

Here is a pretty good resource, pretty much movie dialogs though and theater teachers can be touchy about that.

if I had to recomend something dark...

Cool hand luke is always a favorite and a movie I haven't seen in quite some time, but it does have some style to it.

And Pump up the volume wasn't a great movie, but besides having a great soundtrack, it had this cool monolog.

Finally I would recomend Way of the Gun for just a bent monolog. The problem I have had with the few modern play monologs is they all seem like woody allen inspired stand up routines. But I don't see a lot of plays these days.

Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread