+ Reply to Thread

Thread: barred from mall for wearing black

and your little dog too

Default barred from mall for wearing black

Barred - girl in black

from manchester evening news

TEENAGE girl was turned away from an upmarket shopping centre in Manchester - because she was dressed like Coronation Street's Rosie Webster, who wears black clothes.

Melissa Fletcher, 16, met two friends at the Triangle, in the city centre, for some Saturday afternoon shopping. But security guards would not let them inside, apparently because of the way they looked.

Melissa has red and black hair and a pierced lip, just like the character Rosie in the Street who has rebelled against her parents Sally and Kevin Webster by dyeing her hair black and listening to Goth hard-rock music.

Melissa's mum, Sharon, 34, from Denton, said she had already taken her daughter shopping inside the complex on Saturday morning. But Melissa was barred when she returned with her friends, both 16, later the same day.

Sharon said: "Melissa does not drink, smoke or take drugs. She knows what is right and what is wrong but dressing differently is no reason to be singled out. She had money in her pockets to spend but Melissa did not even get through the front door.

"The security guard told me later that he was under strict orders not to let them in because of the way they looked."

The Triangle - the former Corn Exchange - includes designer clothing stores like Karen Millen, Jigsaw, and Muji, and a Nicky Clarke hair salon.

Melissa, a pupil at Egerton Park High School, Denton, said she would not be returning to the shops. She said: "I think it is discriminatory."

A spokesman for the centre said: "If it is believed the behaviour of some is likely to compromise the safety or enjoyment of others, then the Triangle is able to reserve the right to refuse admission."

Should people be barred from shops for wearing black? Have your say.

Default Re: barred from mall for wearing black

In that case, they should bar the nuns that want to go into the mail, if any decide to go there!.

Bah, hypocritical jerks.

arnt most business suits black? what about.. the men in black?? hrm.. how about that band black eyed peas? oh my goth... razed in black! will all black crayons now be replaced with a brighter white? will they ban the night because its black? will all black people be banned forever? even though there brown colored?! maybe black stands for Better Look (for) Alternate Colors Kid

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

I think this is a good idea. I also think that racial descrimination in hiring practices(or sexual, for that matter) is an okay thing. Basically, when it comes down to it, I dont think you should haev to have anyone shopping or working with you that you dont want to be there, no matter how stupid or closed minded the reason. If you try to force diversity, it just creates closed minds and uncomfortable situations.
    If you stop letting people ban customers, I think its violating their rights.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

she wasnt banned for just wearing black. she was baned for being goth/punk. the snooty wankers. this is what Rosie from the TV drama looks like.

The funny thing is, she probably got the cloths, hair dye and piercings at the mall.

Ellis, I got to ask you if you really believe that position, what happens when all of the stores in the area refuse to hire a particular type of person or allow them to shop there? To a point the market will correct itself. If say a resturaunt in LA refused to serve mexicans, it would quickly find itself out of business. The problem is, if the same business refused to do this in say the rural midwest, or even some cities in the midwest, Mexicans likely could not rally enough of a social impact. The limited number of places to shop in such an area could effectively bar Mexicans from living in large parts of the country, there are very practical reasons to insist that buisiness are not allowed to descriminate against customers. However, this girl is still not protected by law (in the US) but, in a wold where people can say no blacks allowed, how do people who need things like food get by?

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Bah. There was probably more reason than just that. THat was probably the only "official" reason they could come up with. I know me and my friends were banned from a mall in Florida once. I dont remember the reason they gave us. It was because we used to go there, take acid, and just walk around being stupid every weekend.

[QUOTE=karyn]Barred - girl in black

Is it any wonder so many of us bailed from that lovely little island!? Doesn't surprise me AND as someone pointed out, guess where she probably got her clothes, make up and everything else?
    GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    Bah. There was probably more reason than just that. THat was probably the only "official" reason they could come up with. I know me and my friends were banned from a mall in Florida once. I dont remember the reason they gave us. It was because we used to go there, take acid, and just walk around being stupid every weekend.
    And you say that like it is a bad thing!

+ Reply to Thread