+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I've got CRABS! (of the pet variety)

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

Default I've got CRABS! (of the pet variety)

I was quite sad to return home after my first years at college to find my hermit crab Kermit dead ;__; apparently everyone had been looking for a new one for me. Funny enough When I went to Dolphin Encounters to my uncle brandon's wedding yesterday. I not only managed to catch 1 Kermit's size (he was pretty large almost jumbo sized) but another that size and a slightly smaller one ^-^. Will make a seperate post later about the wedding, twas tons of fun. But yay for crabs, I need to get a bigger cage now, the one I have isn't really even big enough for one jumbo.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: I've got CRABS! (of the pet variety)

umm arent crabs like for food?

not hermit crabs, hermit crabs are definately no good for eating, many people keep them as pets, and in the states they sell them at petco and petsmart, thousands of sites are dedicated to them and proper care of them. Which is how I found out the hermit crab start kit cage i got is too small

Hermit/Tree Crabs Are AWESOME!

I dont know if that is true, but a book I checked out said that they keep on Living if you can give them shells or containers to Reside in as they get older.

They even had a photo years back, of a Hermit /Tree Crab that was like a Dog, but that Crab had been with the guy most of the guy's life. The Crab was over 70 years old, according to the book.

There is also some deep sea variety that is actually like those Monster Crabs in the movies. **

yeah hermit crabs can get huge if cared for properly though i doubt any real hermit crab would get any larger than a cat unless it was very special

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by badkittyamy
    yeah hermit crabs can get huge if cared for properly though i doubt any real hermit crab would get any larger than a cat unless it was very special
    When you get your new crab pet, you must get him a diamond collar!!!!!! Dalling!

Mine died. I did everything the book I bought said but to no avail. I think they were sick when I bought them. In Japan it's all the rage to make hand painted shells. I've seen some really cool ones. These ones are not really cool but it's the only pict I could find.

I just give mine really pretty Welk shells, I may go and stain/tint some but they're just gorgeous. Books often give horrid info on taking care of crabs actually. I rely on user pages on the web, i remember one hand guide actually saying it was okay to use tap water (it's not because it usually contains chlorine which kills them) But yeah I'd never buy one most bought from stores die from post purchase stress. And I will not tisk my crabbies giant pinches to try and get a collar on it lmao.

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

I feel sorry for the poor little crabs. Pretty shells though... I feel sad crab vibes....

+ Reply to Thread