+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you think about anonymous posting?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What do you think about anonymous posting?

Ugly Shyla recently pointed out a site to me which is chock full o' rumors of the not wholly positive variety about people in the fetish scene in the US. Now the site is pretty funny and all that, in the way that a comedian is who says the awful thing you are sort of thinking but would never ever say. I'm a pretty big believer in putting your name on what you do, but I think I'm one of the last people on the net with that view. If I have an issue, I will generally address it directly to the person it concerns. I can't imagine making a site and posting a negative story about someone where they wouldn't know who was saying it or be able to respond. What do you think about anonymous posting?

DyingSunshine's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: What do you think about anonymous posting?

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Ugly Shyla recently pointed out a site to me which is chock full o' rumors of the not wholly positive variety about people in the fetish scene in the US. Now the site is pretty funny and all that, in the way that a comedian is who says the awful thing you are sort of thinking but would never ever say. I'm a pretty big believer in putting your name on what you do, but I think I'm one of the last people on the net with that view. If I have an issue, I will generally address it directly to the person it concerns. I can't imagine making a site and posting a negative story about someone where they wouldn't know who was saying it or be able to respond. What do you think about anonymous posting?

I think that anonymous posting is for people who can't back up what they say, or are to scared to face reality that they hide in the shadows of the internet - AKA - It's for pussies.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Ugly Shyla recently pointed out a site to me which is chock full o' rumors of the not wholly positive variety about people in the fetish scene in the US.
    Isn't that kinda pointless though? I mean the fetish scene is pretty out there mainstream wise...so why is there a need for a site to make it look even LESS positive?

Anyone remember the film "Freaks"? It'd be like members of that cast making fun of each other...kinda pointless and sad.

As far as the anonymous thing goes...it's for pussies. I mean come on people already use fake names and info online...what's the point?

Like me for instance...none really know who I am or where I am really...so I COULD easily spread fake info and rumors without much hassle. The only thing Anonymous does is make it easier to post on forums without going through the hassle of registering.

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

Amelia...what site was it?

uglyshyla's Avatar Member

The only reason we are both against anonymous posting is because we are the few left in the world with balls to say something and mean it.
    Everybody just goes the smile in your face and put the knife in your back route

Quote Originally Posted by uglyshyla
    The only reason we are both against anonymous posting is because we are the few left in the world with balls to say something and mean it.
    Everybody just goes the smile in your face and put the knife in your back route
    I agree.

I like it, only to talk to people without prejudice

Mother Superior

I know a person who is getting absolutely flambeed` for posting anonymously and getting caught at it, hehe. I can't say I pity them because they shouldn't be hiding behind anonymous posts, regardless of the circumstance. If you can't say how you feel with a clean conscience and diplomacy, well, maybe you shouldn't be saying it.

maybe I'm missing something-i thought everyone posted anonymously- who wants to be stalked- do you mean people with 'multiples'?
    Pedar

Mother Superior

I mean posting anonymously to a site with a different nickname than the one you usually use there or from a website that specializes in posting messages that are labeled "anon/anonymous" and are not easily traceable, if at all.Technically, no one would know it was you. It is done on Usenet a lot. In other words If a person went to a newsgroup or message board where they didn't have to register, and had been here for a while and didn't get along with somebody, they could post negative/personal things about them, under anonymous remailers. So you basically can say anything you want and not be held responsible for it, well, until you get caught. That's what I meant. AmeliaG may have meant something different.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Well, anonymous could mean different things. There's the nickname type of anonymous where everyone participating has an identity, a screenname, that they are known by, but that prevents others from knowing their real-life, everyday, social-security-card name. I think that's more of a security issue (I'm sure that somewhere out there, my full name is associated with my SSN in a database...). For me, this screen name is just the name I wish I had, or one that I think describes me; the personality behind it is the same.

However, if someone wants to challenge or flame someone else, and could provide their online identity but instead chose to hide behind "Anonymous", then I think they're just being a total coward. Example would be commenting on a livejournal. Even if you're not a livejournal user, you could always put your online name or link to your journal in the subject line or message. There's really no excuses.

MiDNiTE's Avatar freedom of speech ??

a site similar to this has reputation points - u can click on a button to either approve of or disapprove of their posting

u could also leave anonymous notes for them

needless to say everyone was very nasty when they thought they could get away with it

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Anonymous is another way of saying "The stuff I feel like saying could get my ass kicked 'cause I'm typing a bunch of BS about something I know nothing about and I have no facts to back it up." I know several people who do this. I've outted more than a few of them, just becasue the stuff they weere saying was harmful to a specific person that they had named in these "anon." posts. Personally, I think it's cowardly. i post everything I have to say under one of two names, my real name and my stage name, only difference is the subject matter.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    I mean posting anonymously to a site with a different nickname than the one you usually use there or from a website that specializes in posting messages that are labeled "anon/anonymous" and are not easily traceable, if at all.Technically, no one would know it was you. It is done on Usenet a lot. In other words If a person went to a newsgroup or message board where they didn't have to register, and had been here for a while and didn't get along with somebody, they could post negative/personal things about them, under anonymous remailers. So you basically can say anything you want and not be held responsible for it, well, until you get caught. That's what I meant. AmeliaG may have meant something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    Yes- now I see- yes that's done frequently - I've been a victim of that myself many times- they create the 'alters' to give you the sense of 'ganging up' on you - I stupidly would get pissed abt it- usually (unless they blocked it)..you can trace their IP and out them..
    I finally accepted that the net just attracts assholes and -sort of the way I finally (80 percent) overcame road rage Pedar

Jozie's Avatar Senior Member

I believe I know the site you are talking about. I wish it wasn't anonymous because it would in some weird way back up the words more. Its seems more tabloid being faceless. Even if the people behind the words are unknown individuals, it'd still make things more real. Regardless, I love that damn site. Quite frankly I love just about any damn site that manages to get peoples panties in a bunch.

+ Reply to Thread