+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pimp Your Favorite Band Part Deux

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Pimp Your Favorite Band Part Deux

ok so a few may remeber i did this a while back, i had some extra dough laying around so asked people to give me a few reasons why theyr favorite band kicked ass i then went and bought the 4 CD's that people did a good job in telling me why they kick ass.well i have some money to waste now so that aside here are the rules

Dont just list a a ton of bands just one maybe two and tell me why they rock

This is not about what i like its about what you guys are into, who knows i might like somethin i would never give a shot at listening b4

GAME ON!!!!!!!

Default Re: Pimp Your Favorite Band Part Deux

I'm game. Igor Spectre is a fun local goth band. They are a fun band (something a lot of bands forget about) with a definite Bowie influence. The cover of Ziggy Stardust says this less than the song Parish Lights does but both are worth a listen. And, most importantly, if you don't like them it is OK. They have their album up for free. If you like them buying the album is the cool thing to do, but you can listen for free while you decide.

scabre's Avatar Senior Member
    oh.. im from leeds, (up north in the uk to be precise!)

im a huge apoptygma berserk fan! the album harmonizer kick ass!!
    Anyway, I confess that with a name like that I had certain prejudices that came into play -- fear of shapeless, tuneless goth music, for one -- but that I would try to grow up and give them a shot. mp3-snippets and one purchase later, I've had to give up all my misconceptions about the band!!!This is a CD that every gothic club-goer must have. Apoptygma berserk opened my eyes to a different kind of goth dance music, and opened a door into the industrial scene!! im hooked!!

Hellmo's Avatar Member

the azoic - forward+conflict

a very good ebm band, this is the remix ep so even if you cant get into their style theres some decent remixes by the likes of assemblage 23, combichrist and more so theres a little for everyone

il probably wait till saturday till i make my decision keep em coming part of the fun is for me to listen to something new

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by scabre
    im a huge apoptygma berserk fan! the album harmonizer kick ass!!
    Anyway, I confess that with a name like that I had certain prejudices that came into play -- fear of shapeless, tuneless goth music, for one -- but that I would try to grow up and give them a shot. mp3-snippets and one purchase later, I've had to give up all my misconceptions about the band!!!This is a CD that every gothic club-goer must have. Apoptygma berserk opened my eyes to a different kind of goth dance music, and opened a door into the industrial scene!! im hooked!!
    you liked that album? that was the point when I stopped listening to APB, it seemed to me that stephan devolved into utter cheesiness dance music at that point... which I guess some people like but I prefer a musician that actually composes an album, instead of just laying down tracks. do you see the difference?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

I dunno. I've been listening to alot of disturbed lately,I like the hard shit. disturbed has saome seriou bass and very grinding electrics. the drums are pounding and dave draman tends to do very well on not just singing but yelling and scremain melodicly.

other than that. there was a band out of dallas called nocturne I liked too. never bought any of thir shit pr say but the marilyn manson tribute album (anthems of rust and ceay) has a very hot remix they did of get you gunn. the lead has a hot girl voice (shes a girl-some may know what im talkin bout) and is a little bit digital and metal mixed. pretty good too.

I still want to find some Black Power Oi!

Hellmo's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    you liked that album? that was the point when I stopped listening to APB, it seemed to me that stephan devolved into utter cheesiness dance music at that point... which I guess some people like but I prefer a musician that actually composes an album, instead of just laying down tracks. do you see the difference?
    from what ive heard of the new sampler they now sound like HIM

time to nail my cd collection to my wall in shame

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I'm really going to go out on a limb with the first one because it's not for everyone. The Juliana Theory - Love, I can't describe this in any other fashion except "emo-rock". It's lyrics are nothing special however the music itself is rather catchy and easy to relate to. It's one of those bands that you can't tell anyone why you like them because you honestly don't know. There is just something about them that makes them stand out. I know I suggest alot of music that is primarly screaming, this band doesn't scream at all. Nice and laid back.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

I still want to find some Black Power Oi!
    Do you mean something allong the lines of say, Bad Brains?

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

the dresden dolls. they'rea duo out of boston, described as punk cabaret, and man, do they have some good stuff. who knew just a piano and drums could sound like so much more? anyhoo... i love em.

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    Do you mean something allong the lines of say, Bad Brains?
    no. they are more like 80's hardcore. I heard that they were anti-gay from someone in a band that played with them, I don't remember who it was now, but I seemed to consider it credible enough at the time, so yeah that really turned me off from them.

I don't think that what i'm looking for really exists, now i'm pretty sure that the only black power oi! band is some garage band from cleveland that no one knows and never recorded any music. I guess the closest thing would be the Templars. but they don't really have any songs about empowering the people or spreading MLK and X's message... most of thier songs are just about how skinheads should get along with each other, which is pretty stupid because skinheads pretty much don't get along with anyone else. all the rest of thier songs are just kind of vague and not really about anything.

scabre's Avatar Senior Member
    oh.. im from leeds, (up north in the uk to be precise!)

no i think theres a big contrast between that album and dance music, not in the sound but the way its organised (im not good at music terminology)
    ohh as hellmo said.. the azoic... hell yea!

ooh good music discussion this is turning out better than the first "Pimp Your Favorite Band" thread i made lots of stuff i havent heard of either wich was the whole point of this, to expand my musical horizons

+ Reply to Thread