+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pretty things are going to Hell

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

Default Re: Pretty things are going to Hell

The White witch in the lion, the witch and the wardrobe. Yes, she wore white, but her heart was of ice and she was cold...untouchable. To me that is a gothic quality..to be cool, calm, collected..secure in yourself. Plus, she was an excellent evil character.

second, Edward Scissorhands. I loved Johnny in that movie.

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

I read a lot of fairy tales when I was younger... I can't for the life of me remember what the name of it was, but there was an ice queen who lived in a castle made of ice, and kept the souls of children frozen in blue candles. When the candles would burn to nothing, the soul would be gone. I was, I think, four at the time, and instead of being horrified... I wanted to BE that woman. So bad. I wanted to have my beautiful cold castle at the crown of the world, illuminated by the sputtering, quiet deaths of my frozen peers.

In fact, any Evil Queen/Witch/Empress/Sorceress archetype person just appealed to me very much. Another one like that was Xayide from the Neverending Story; she seemed to me so strange, not overtly powerful in person but her influence was insidious and intoxicating. She retained her mystery for me right down to where she died - the thought of that self-demise (which was what I ultimately determined it as) was still as mysterious as the character. Again, eight-year-old me wanted to BE her.

Truly, tho not exactly "goth" was the pinup Queen Bettie Page, and in some of the outfits she wore, was truly a beauty before her time

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Hmmm...dunno off hand but probably Elvira. I use to watch her show with my uncle and aunt (given I was a wee lil lad those flicks while not scary still put a puzzled look on my face...as I grew older I would be introduced to all sorts of weird and off beat stuff by them...I was a lucky kid in that regard.)

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

The real question is why is all this stuff considered 'dark' anyway? The whole dichotomy of good/evil is really atrociously overplayed and trite. Anything that is not 'normal' is considered freakish and is cast out from 'normal' society. I say, fuck normal. Seems like all of us on here are pretty sane individuals, aren't we normal enough? (except for Olix...JUST JOKING!)

"Dark" or strange fantasies or behaviors..us taking a liking to things that are 'dark' are only manifestations of our own inner nature. That we like them is good. If we try to rebel against them, we have issues.

That's enough psychotherapy for today, I'm going out to play in the sandbox.

Sun

she's in parties..... what does that mean!!!
    is she wearing a blue, red or the green.......

I already like you

about topic... I got some fetishes (glasses, socks, sadism, voyeour) and so I camed across this site..... this is probably firsth "gothic" thing I layed my eyes on....
    I like old gothic era btw.... gothic churches and buildings

and gothic girls are gorgeous!!!

Bedlamite

Wow. Such a question! In terms of popular culture, my first dark pretties were the Addams Family, Lily Munster, and Elvira.

However, for me, this question has two answers. The first of which is a childhood imagination that loved Edward Gorey, Edgar Allen Poe, and the Grimms Fairy Tales. So on that level, the first pretty 'gothic' thing was less of a 'look' and more of a 'feel'.

Second was when I was about fourteen. There was this impossibly beautiful girl who was a senior, she was tall and pale, dressed in black, purple hair, Theatre Geek. She had a little sister, slightly younger than myself who was a clone of her, but shorter with pink hair. I loved them very much, although from a distance until I got into theatre. They adopted me for about the half a year until the senior graduated. They copied me music, showed me movies, and brought out that side of myself. So in that respect, they were my first real pretty 'gothic' things.

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    ............. Morticia Addams
    Oh my god, I didn't just think she was beautiful, I wanted to BE her!! I was like, in primary school when I first saw the movie of The Addams Family, and I just had this hot thing for her, what with the long black hair, incredibly pale skin and dark red lips... she was my IDOL.
    *sigh*

QUEEN_SLIPKNOT's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by shesinparties
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]Who was the first pretty gothic 'thing' you ever laid your eyes Upon?[/DarkOrange]
    The skull diamond necklace my brother gave me when I was 4 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Switchblade
    Oh my god, I didn't just think she was beautiful, I wanted to BE her!! I was like, in primary school when I first saw the movie of The Addams Family, and I just had this hot thing for her, what with the long black hair, incredibly pale skin and dark red lips... she was my IDOL.
    *sigh*
    I was more fascinated by her brother but Hand is my hero

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

oh yes, was it Hand, or Thing? whatever, i thought 'he' (? ) ruled!!

+ Reply to Thread