+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just for my morbid curisoity

ladybug's Avatar Senior Member

Default Just for my morbid curisoity

I've noticed in several of the new peoples introduction that they often refer themselve to *geeks* for working on computers, or web sites and such as that. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's highly intelligent.
    My husband works on computers, builds weather guidence systems for airplanes and also has a hand in designing new ones. I certantly don't think he's a geek....maybe it's cause I'm his wife...I don't know.
    Anyway I'm just curious.....is it just a label that's been around for so long that we can't get rid of it or something else?

Default Re: Just for my morbid curisoity

No, it's because I'm geeky. My husband is the same way, and we don't mind the "label" as you call it. I prefer it to be merely what I am. I know what I am, so why worry about what other people call me? I've heard nerd, dork, etc, etc. I prefer geek. If people just HAVE to label themselves gothic, why not let us have what we have?

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

i think it's a label that used to be considered a "bad" thing, but now people have turned it around and it's used in a more positive way. i too refer to myself as a geek from time to time, because i'm working towards my dream job of spending all my time in a lab researching creepy crawly things that make you sick. it is what it is, i suppose. that's just my 2 cents

Well considering everything I do, calling myself a geek is really the only way to have it come across as to what I am.

I hate people who call themselves a geek and all they know how to do is run an anti virus program or remove spyware...with a program. or reinstall windows.

I'm build/repair electronics and computers. I work on audio and video equipment. I run my own firewall and server, under linux. I have brought a laptop back from the dead, even though it had so many faults to it it's not even funny. I do web hosting, website usability...

and there's more, too!

But I'm not a geek, too. Catch me on the street and I'm just some guy who loves all sorts of music and movies.

So I think the label is over used. I know there are people that can do a TON more than what I can do. But I can do a lot, and to go into detail for all that I do would be too long of a list. so to say that I'm a geek, it at least let's you know that I'm in that area of things.

Your married? damn. I love the picture of you in your avatar...those eyes...so stunning...

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

Geek has become a lot more than an insult. I find people who I'd describe as 'chavs' calling themselves geeks when they haven't even tried Linux.

Just look at Slashgoth's bother, Slashdot, to see what I mean. There's even been Geek Pride marches-- I wish I was kidding-- and being a geek is now seen as positive on the whole.

Geek is obsessiveness. Someone who obsesses about the things he goes in for is geeky-- look at all the geeky RPGers and geeky LOTR and Star wars fans. Sure, there are people who love those and become fanatical, but when someone has a fanaticism about thirteen ifferent things, well, he's geeky.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I think calling yourself a geek is about reclaiming terminology and owning who you are i.e. same as calling yourself a slut or a dyke.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Or a slutty, dykey, geek

Quote Originally Posted by skintwisterman
    look at all the geeky RPGers and geeky LOTR and Star wars fans.
    I play RPGs. I like Star Wars. I enjoy LoTR. I don't dress up like the characters and go to movies, but I enjoy the genre (and you have to admit, it's a genre.) There are people that are obsessive about anything, just ask the Japanese. I don't see the word "geek" as insulting. I see people that overgeneralize as insulting.

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

Quote Originally Posted by cheinara wraithwalker
    I play RPGs. I like Star Wars. I enjoy LoTR. I don't dress up like the characters and go to movies, but I enjoy the genre (and you have to admit, it's a genre.) There are people that are obsessive about anything, just ask the Japanese. I don't see the word "geek" as insulting. I see people that overgeneralize as insulting.
    Once again, my dear Cheinara, you seem to read my mind and use my tongue to speak.

well everybody thanks for the in put.... I tend to agree with the overgeneral term.... it is insulting.....again I was just curious and thanks for the input

Your married? damn. I love the picture of you in your avatar...those eyes...so stunning.

yup married......and thanks I like my eyes...beautiful aren't they....lol

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

I'm more the 'wastes many waking moments on ridiculous gaming pursuits' geek than, y'now, the useful kind. And not even that so much. Thac0 scares me.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

geek was originally the title of one in a freak side show who bit the head soff of live chickens for the mausement of the audience.....I prefer the term nerd lol it's those little candy thingys from wonka although the new choclate donuts are sweetly irresistable too lol I so want one right now jsut finished off a pack of dark choclate and nut swoops..........wating for the dark to come to finish off my jello shots lol

+ Reply to Thread