+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Update your antivirus

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Default Update your antivirus

This has been causing havoc all over:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A computer worm shut down computer systems running the Windows 2000 operating system across the United States on Tuesday, hitting computers at CNN, ABC and The New York Times.

Around 5 p.m. computers began crashing at CNN facilities in New York and Atlanta. ABC said its problems began in New York about 1:30 p.m.

The Caterpillar Co. in Peoria, Illinois also was reportedly affected.
    David Perry of Trend Micro said that the attack seems to have been triggered by a new worm, called worm--rbot.ebq. He said the symptoms -- computers repeatedly shutting down and rebooting -- was consistent with that virus.

Johannes Ullrich, director of the Sans Institute, a network security firm in Jacksonville, Florida, said the outage also may have been caused by the Zotob worm, which was released last weekend.
    "It will connect to a control server to ask for instructions. It scans network neighborhoods and tries to infect them, as well," Ullrich said.
    Several versions of the worm have been released, some as late as Tuesday, he said.

While the worm primarily affects Windows 2000, it also can affect some early versions of Microsoft XP, he said.
    Typically, the virus enters a system via a laptop connected to unsecured networks, Ullrich said. "This laptop will infect your systems from the inside."

Microsoft has made a patch to counter Zotob, he said.
    At any given time, there are thousands of computer worms and viruses in existence. Most are stopped from becoming widespread problems by anti-virus software.

Default Re: Update your antivirus

this is not a threat to me, even though I run a win2k client and server.

First thing is a tight firewall.
    Second thing is deepfreeze which prevents viruses from truely messing with my computer

simple, but very effective.

If you have windows XP SP 2, you're ok. If you have a tight firewall, you should be ok.

But aye. if you have anti-virus software, you should update it regularly anyway.

Ha Ha, I got a mac.
    I'M INVINCIBLE!

same here Toe :-p

and my Linux boxes. Which are like my network hero's, protecting the weak. (windows)

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

gah mac -brain dies- mac has killed my plug ins one to many times -mourns the death of her usb drivers among other things killed by macintosh

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I guess it won't hurt me............. I got a warning from my school about this. Mostly because the school is a WiFi hotspot.

+ Reply to Thread