+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lets All Kill Ourselves!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Lets All Kill Ourselves!

Any of you watching international news channels have probably heard the stories of Japanese citizens meeting up online to commit suicide together. Now one could be darkly comic and make a joke about it but once you get past the punch line you have to wonder about the why. One man set to do this said it was because of the group mentality and how it makes it easier to kill yourself with other people doing the same thing.

Is this a bad thing?
    We've all expressed our views about suicide before but in this case the "victim" is not alone. Is this maybe as good as suicide gets? Would something like this add some peace and comfort to it all? Does it change anything about suicide as an act?

I personally don't agree with suicide since the friends and family seem to suffer far more than the person who offs themself. I don't mean to say the victims pain is not as great but it's like passing a torch of sorts...instead of ending your pain you simply pass it on.

At last count their was something like 70 victims to this sort of mass suicide in Japan since last year...and with a nation with one of the highest suicide rates in the world (Suicides in Japan hit a record high in 2003, exceeding 34,000) one has to wonder what's next.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: Lets All Kill Ourselves!

well as much as i love you guys i wouldnt wana die with any of you at the most id kill some braincells with booze but thats it

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

I wonder how many people pretend to do it just so they can go "HA HA TRICKED YOU" at the corpse?

Because I would so do that.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Any of you watching international news channels have probably heard the stories of Japanese citizens meeting up online to commit suicide together. Now one could be darkly comic and make a joke about it but once you get past the punch line you have to wonder about the why. One man set to do this said it was because of the group mentality and how it makes it easier to kill yourself with other people doing the same thing.

Is this a bad thing? We've all expressed our views about suicide before but in this case the "victim" is not alone. Is this maybe as good as suicide gets? Would something like this add some peace and comfort to it all? Does it change anything about suicide as an act?

I personally don't agree with suicide since the friends and family seem to suffer far more than the person who offs themself. I don't mean to say the victims pain is not as great but it's like passing a torch of sorts...instead of ending your pain you simply pass it on.

At last count their was something like 70 victims to this sort of mass suicide in Japan since last year...and with a nation with one of the highest suicide rates in the world (Suicides in Japan hit a record high in 2003, exceeding 34,000) one has to wonder what's next.
    Interesting. Camus posits suicide as THE only philosophical question worth dealing with. He, and Dostoevsky, see it as the only logical conclusion to nihilism. Yet, we find people who become their own gods and seem to prosper.

I would first question the degree to which a "mob mentality" is operative. Often, people will do things in crowds that they would not do alone. If it was, I find these statistics very sad. If they really all simply wanted to die, it's hard to say "no you can't". I don't like having lived thru the death of young folks, but it is futile to fight what has and will always go on. Would I do that? Hell no. I'll take my dark nights of the soul over self-negation any day. MY life may have been colored dark, but too much amuses and enthralls me to ever give up.

OEC

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Umbilical Lotus
    I wonder how many people pretend to do it just so they can go "HA HA TRICKED YOU" at the corpse?

Because I would so do that.
    and thats what id be paraniod about

evilassmaster's Avatar Exiled
    Brunswick, Maine... the other white bread

I'm reminded of an episode of Paranoia Agent, in which an old man, a young man and a little girl meet online to commit suicide. the whole scenario being incredibly allegorical and eye-opening, not to mention that paranoia agent is just about the only anime I can watch, due to it's incredible writing.

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

Quote Originally Posted by purplepixie
    and thats what id be paraniod about
    Exaaaaaactly.

That, and I'd probably draw all over your face or something, so when the police find you you look like a total fuck.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

sounds like the movie suicide club to me.

the Japanise still look at it as an honor to take your own life but there is a big diference between doing it for honor and doing it for kicks.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I remember suicide club........... I hated that band that was in it.

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

The Japanese always have commit suicide, often as protest, and sometimes just for the usual "oblivion" thing.

We all know the Samurai used to live to die for their lords, and of the Kamikaze fighters. Who can say what the japanese penchent is for exphunging one's self?

If anyone has any better explanations, I'm sold, but I really do think a lot of it could be something cultural. Don't ask me, I'm an insensetive arse.

+ Reply to Thread