+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Reverend Jesse Jackson can suck my balls.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: The Reverend Jesse Jackson can suck my balls.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    The problem is that anyone voicing their critical opinion is being characterized as mugging for coverage, pushing their absurd agenda, etc. Every protest, every issues leader, etc. The lesson is, speak up and you will be destroyed, humiliated, and dismissed.
    That is indeed true but I think why that occurs is not so much a lesson to be taught as it is the dramatic nature such people take. It's rare you see those who speak up do so with some sort of understadning and measure. You see too many go for the extreme and melodramatic. Of course that will be dismissed since those being spoken to see it again and again...you can't have the same tactics that worked in the 60's pulled up again now. It's a diffrent time in how communication is bought, sold, and produced. Too many fall back on the "speak on a podium surrounded by people in front of the media"...it becomes too contrived to take seriously. Their is no need to overstate when what is being said carries the weight needed to get across...people have enough drama in their lives without adding more. Present a situation as is and people will respond to THAT not the messenger.

Reasonable people see that clearly and no longer bother to voice their reasonable concerns, and the 'yahoos' that are left are used as a symbol of why people shouldn't speak up.
    I think reasonable people are more than happy to speak up but the attention falls onthe yahoo's because they are more entertianing, more extreme and one sided, and simple to promote. They fall into the BAD level of public debate where it's not about solving an issue but discrediting and harming those against ones personal agenda. Men like Moore and Jackson rarely if ever rise against the hands that feed them when they are in the wrong...people see and learn that. So with the attention on them by those who think they speak for all...how can they be shocked when those they want to reach dismiss them as the fakes they are? But they are entertaining...and for coverage on media outlets what gets people watching matters most.

I certainly don't agree with a lot of what Mr. Moore says, but maybe in there somewhere, he has a point worth considering, same goes for Mr. Jackson, etc. Obviously people shouldn't take 100% of one speaker's agenda, but I think it's bad for the Nation to characterize those willing to stand on their soapboxes and express their views as somehow disruptive embarrassing unprofessional unamerican clowns.
    They make themselves look like the clowns they are...and people call em on that and dismiss them as such. Even if they speak what needs to be said it's too late...their voices have been too mixed up with lies in the past to be credible now....you can't expect people to take people like that on a case by case basis. You present enough BS in your agenda and it'll infect any message you try to say. They don't understand that it seems and continue to make the mistakes that get them dismissed. Too many in that field assume that the public buys into all they see on TV when in reality they see it as entertainment first and foremost. Truth and entertainment rarely mix.

Do I give an ear to every nutjob with a sandwitchboard and something to say, no, certainly not, but the trend towards abusing these people and dismissing them wholesale, well, it kinda nauseates me.
    It may be nauseating but these people need to step down and allow the attention to be placed on OTHERS that aren't as infected by partisian politics, personal agendas, highly questionable tactics, and what is clearly a profitable career as a "voice for the people". People dismiss and critique those in power all the time...those who do so are up for the same critique and if you prove as much a bastard...expect to pay a price for it. If you abuse the truth like those men do...it's only natural they get shot down at some point. It's not like this happened out of the gate...BOTH men in this case had long careers of being respected and admired by many who now damn them the most. I for one was a huge Mikey Moore fand and handed his films out to many at my own cost...but he became a god damn tool and the same could be said for ole Jesse with is vile tactics and abuse of the race card.

They made their own bed of thorns here...and I don't shed a tear for that.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

No, they are demonized by other organizations/institutions with competing agendas. The strategy is clear, find a vulnerable soundbite and exploit it. Beat it to death, and then the masses close their minds to anything from that source again. Moore does it, Pat Robertson does it, conservative radio and TV stations do it. The current administration is very good at it. A music industry analogy, for example, would be over exposing a band or song and then get a few faces saying 'oh, god, I hear them too much' and then the following masses parrot that nonsense. Look at what happened to Howard Dean. He made one overly excited donkey like bray, the 'rapid response' organizations flogged the public with it excessively, and his poll numbers sank like a stone. I'm not saying he was perfect, or even the right guy for the job, but the pattern is clear. And yes, reasonable people do not speak up anymore. I know this to be true.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    and to those who dont like the way things are runned right now in the government I ask you this-DID YOU VOTE? I know I voted for kerry prsonally so if you wanna bitch about bush and didnt even bother to fill out a little piece of paper shorter than a frickin ged, You have no right to complain.
    Why is it that every time anyone starts a conversation/debate about anything political, some jackass brings up the assinine "did you vote" crap?

"You have no right to complain".. What ??? Unless I'm greatly mistaken, we all have the same right...the right to CHOOSE. That dosent mean a choice of two Idiots running for some elected position, it means we also have the right NOT to vote. One of our only true freedoms is the right to express ourselves in any way we deem fit. Including exersising our right not to participate.

Jessie Jackson is a Fucking Dillhole...Who the hell listens to his shit anyways.

Answer......other Dillholes.

Mother Superior

Bump. Was trying to use an image

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    Why is it that every time anyone starts a conversation/debate about anything political, some jackass brings up the assinine "did you vote" crap?

"You have no right to complain".. What ??? Unless I'm greatly mistaken, we all have the same right...the right to CHOOSE. That dosent mean a choice of two Idiots running for some elected position, it means we also have the right NOT to vote. One of our only true freedoms is the right to express ourselves in any way we deem fit. Including exersising our right not to participate.
    Last i checked, there were several "3rd" party candidates on most ballots, and every ballot allows write-ins.

Personally, I fully support your legal right to complain, but if you're only willing to complain and not participate in the process that lead to your complaints, it looses a lot of weight in my book.

It's not about a legal right to complain..it's about the right to CHOOSE to complain. I don't vote, but I don't complain either. Politics on all fronts suck so why bother. I have no problem with who runs the country, simply because I have no faith in any of them. You participate by choice..great...I do not..great...

I choose to choose.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Okay.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

or you can actually take the innitiative and DO something yourself, instead of always passing it off on other people and saying well I voted for so-and so, or I didn't vote for so-and so, so it's not my fault, and I don't have to do anything about it. I don't vote because I tend to think what I do every day and week in my own life and my community is more important then being content to spend five minutes punching a card every four years and saying "I participated in the democratic process."

+ Reply to Thread