+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What charities do you like?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What charities do you like?

What charities do you like for addressing the Katrina disaster?

Why do you like who you like?

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: What charities do you like?

anything that doesn't have religion in it's mission,or creed,or whatever...

Red Cross is my usual deposit....

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I usually donate money to the red cross and if i cant do that or even if i can i always donate blood.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

i renewed my membership to eroticbpm.com to help out.

seriously though.... i may sound like a dick for saying this but i dont give to the red cross or other humanity charities. i think the red-cross is the most worth-while 'charity' out there... but if i feel the need to donate i always give to greenpeace. i guess i just figure mother nature needs help more then people.... there being 6 billion of us / taking over every nook and cranny of the word and whatnot.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I like the Salvation Army for the Katrina disaster because they are more expert at providing shelter and I think that is going to be really important in the aftermath. I know some people are troubled by them being Christian, but I think they tend to be part of the good and decent part of Christianity and not the bastardized evangelical license-to-hate part.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I dont mind wiether or not the organization is christian or not as long as they are using what i donate to help people

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

They have a proven track record. Religious preferences should be irrelevant.

OEC

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

dont like the salvos after reading this
    THE STARVATION ARMY Twelve Reasons to Reject the Salvation Army. nasty shit from their past and the way they operate now.

heres a review:
    THE STARVATION ARMY
    Twelve Reasons to Reject the Salvation Army *
    Scam Publication, Edition 2001. 1ST Published,
    Skeleton Army Publishers, Sydney 1996.
    This 24 page pamphlet lifts the lid on the practices of the best public
    relations outfit in Australia * The Salvation Army. Flood, fire, plague,
    the Salvation Army is always there in front of the cameras handing out sustenance to those who need it. "Thank God for the Salvos" has become a slogan thats synonymous with purity, charity, Godliness and most importantly of all the Salvation Army.
    So why would anybody want to call into question the Salvation Armys role in Australian society? The answer is very simple because the Salvation Armys reputation is based on cleverly crafted myths not facts. The Salvation Army has been transformed from its humble foundation in London by William Booth, a former pawnbroker who believed it was his mission to save Englands underclass from the three As * "Alcohol, Atheism and Anarchy", to Australias premier privatised welfare agency, which is blessed with heaps of taxpayer dollars that have kindly been given to it to administer the Howard governments privatised welfare system.
    In 12 easy to follow sections, this little booklet asks the hard questions about one of Australias premier sacred cows. It gives the unsuspecting punter the ammunition to stop putting their hands in their pockets every time the Salvation Army knocks on their door on behalf of the poor.
    The Salvation Army is not just a quaint outfit of people who dress strangely and play bad music. The Howard government has given this backward outfit the monetary injection it needed to push its conservative, ideology to the fore. The Salvation Army is a slick professional business, its spin doctors are masters at massaging reality. The Starvation Army has done all thinking and caring people a service, by lifting the lid on one of Australias most profitable and ingrained religious cults.

Starvation Army is available from SCAM PUBLICATIONS, P.O. Box 756, Brunswick Lower 3056, Melbourne AUSTRALIA. Email:scam@xchange.anarki.net/~scam/ OR
    Barricade Books, 115 Sydney Rd, Brunswick 3056, Melbourne AUSTRALIA OR Jura
    Books, 440 Parramatta Rd, Petersham 2049, Sydney AUSTRALIA, and many other interesting outlets.

Here in the area, is the Convoy of Hope, was and still is a viable and caring org. that I took clothes and canned goods to today, and already is on their way to NOs refugees, along with power generators, portable showers and other neccissities,

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I don't like the salvation army. At All. they only help people who believe in the same god and the same hell that they do. htey won't help "heahtens" till they've been reeducated to be christians. Hte red cross/ red crecent helps people who need help. that's their only requirement to recieve aid. they even made a branch called red crecent so that people of other religions htat might feel awkward about accepting help from a cross wouldn't feel left out. so the money you give might go to a different disaster, you're still helping people in need and you still get the tax write off. people in need are people in need. Nad if htat's the worst discrepency they can come up with, well then gee, I htink i might be okay with that.
    K
    ps forrest call me.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Red Cross
    Why? Belongings can be much more easily replaced than blood. And in my opinion it makes giving a much more personal act.
    p.s. Keiko call me

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

The only charity I've ever donated to is the war amps cause they actually do something I believe in

Howrangi's Avatar So how old are you again?

red cross for me. and for the Rita one i sent it to the red cross thier.

+ Reply to Thread