+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9/11: its time to move on dammit

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default 9/11: its time to move on dammit

Im getting kind of tired of seeing all theese TV shows and whatnot on remembering 9/11 i mean yeah it was a tragedy and all that but i really think its time for the country to move on i mean weve aleready given up civil liberties and destroyed to countries over this (actually the war in Iraq really has nothing to do with 9/11 but the people in charge like to pretend it does) i think the whole thing is really an insult to all the people that died and they should be left at peace cause right now the counbtry has bigger things to worry about.

nuklear's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: 9/11: its time to move on dammit

Yea people need to get over it and worry about the future...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

It's one day out of the year...and it was only 4 years ago. Those who read the names of the fallen are by majority, relatives now. The coverage has been much more low key so unless you're purposely trying to see it, you don't run into it. I've just gone through the 500 + channels I have and less than 10 of them have anything 9/11 related...even the big media channels have maybe a handful of shows dedicated to it.

The morning of course had the remembrance ceremony...that you may as well get use too. Remembering is part of moving on. If anything we're far too quick to tell people to "Move on" about things if they extend over 3 months...

I'm sure your same sentiments will be said about new orleans and the gulf coast by the new year. If as an individual you've had your fill of remembrance...then leave those who wish to take a bit of time out of their year to remember alone. None are forcing you to participate...let alone even care anymore.

I can understand your viewpoint but It's far more sickening hearing people spout about moving on than for a few TV shows and ceremonies to take up one day out of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    Im getting kind of tired of seeing all theese TV shows and whatnot on remembering 9/11 i mean yeah it was a tragedy and all that but i really think its time for the country to move on i mean weve aleready given up civil liberties and destroyed to countries over this (actually the war in Iraq really has nothing to do with 9/11 but the people in charge like to pretend it does) i think the whole thing is really an insult to all the people that died and they should be left at peace cause right now the counbtry has bigger things to worry about.
    your keeping it alive by writing this thread

ive been seeing ads for 9/11 stuff for the past month and yeah i know its more low key and whatnot but today ive heard a whole crapload of people talking about it and whatnot and i have a feeling it would be all over the news if they didnt have a more recent major disaster to cover and dont get me wrong i have full respect for people who lost loved ones and want to remember them but it just feels like the country as a whole hasnt gotten over it yet

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

if we move on the terrorists win

9-11 Never forget

Hula Hoop Supervisor

All right...define "moving on" cause at this point it sounds like moving on means no interruption of TV show schedules on 9-11. Would you prefer it forgotten totally from public attention? Since when is moving on forgetting?

If it was on TV every day for hours on end I'd agree...but one day a year or in the context of proper memorial, investigation, and public interest seems no real hassle outside of those who'd rather be watching Friends reruns.

Seems in poor taste to complain about something you can avoid coverage on rather easily...unless of course you're like those people who hate FOX news...yet watch it all the fucking time...or worse those who "never watch it" yet manage to somehow know their programming and daily content by heart.

Their are only 2 things I want to see about 9/11 today...and since the first thing I've wanted to see I've had zero problems with avoiding the topic...most networks are functioning as just another sunday. Around me few outside of those directly affected have even brought it up today.

It all has the look and feel of moving on...I just don't see how TV spots running a month in advance about 9/11 documentaries, a now established memorial service, and low key coverage counts as not moving on....sure Katrina took some of the attention away but even last years coverage was far from over the top.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i also think we should move on....

look at all other major countries,they get shit quite often...but they don't go around every year saying "lets remember the car bomb of sep 5th"....no they move on....

the only good that could come from it is maybe people will come closer to realizing our own goverment sponsered/took part in, all of 9/11....

and no,i don't wear a tin foil hat...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    i also think we should move on....

look at all other major countries,they get shit quite often...but they don't go around every year saying "lets remember the car bomb of sep 5th"....no they move on....
    Then you are grossly uninformed. Many nations, communities, organizations have such remembrances. Be it events to great historical battles in now long forgotten wars, to attacks on their very nature and society like 9/11. You make it sound like 9/11 was 50 years ago...it's not even 5 years old. It's still very much a raw and daily reality for the survivors along with family and friends of victims. Take an average kid who lost a parent that day...they are STILL kids. Not even teens yet in some cases. Can you honestly expect THIS particular event to be totally subdued when the aftermath is still being dealt with and it's core victims still so effected?

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    the only good that could come from it is maybe people will come closer to realizing our own goverment sponsered/took part in, all of 9/11....

and no,i don't wear a tin foil hat...
    Riiiiiiiiight...and it was all planned in area 51 with alien technology. I love conspiracy nuts...they make things so overly complicated and deny human nature along simplicity. Hate to break your heart but it does not take a massive government/global conspiracy to commit such an event...you'd be quite surprised what a dedicated group of nutjobs can do.

Vast conspiracy theories only bring comfort that their must be a "big bad wolf" instead of evil "lone gunmen".

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire

Riiiiiiiiight...and it was all planned in area 51 with alien technology. I love conspiracy nuts...they make things so overly complicated and deny human nature along simplicity. Hate to break your heart but it does not take a massive government/global conspiracy to commit such an event...you'd be quite surprised what a dedicated group of nutjobs can do.

Vast conspiracy theories only bring comfort that their must be a "big bad wolf" instead of evil "lone gunmen".
    Actually this was a pretty vast conspiracy im not saying our government had anything to do with it but this took a very large group of people several years of planning to pull off and the government did really drop the ball on catching it and the TV interuptions dont bother me much as all the remmember 9/11 stuff that people keep throwing around i mean yeah peopel remember other things that happened in the past but this is different i mean you dont have all theese people going "remmeber Waco" or "remmember Oklahoma City" i mean those both resulted in needless death and all that but we don spout of crap about that it just seems like the country is still in some huge state of mourning and essentially thats what the terrorists wanted in the first place if we dont get our minds off the past and move into the future the terrorists win.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

just tell them you masterbate to the footage...

there's a ton of those dumb ass es here,that are suddenly patriotic,and have 9 of those ribbon stickers on there SUV's.....they get all extremist and shit,and want to fight...the basterds...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

A person who has a sense that her life is meaningful and her destiny is in her hands is in fundamental ways more alive than a person who does not. In that sense, on September 11, terrorists used airplanes to kill thousands of people, and politicians and media used the event to kill a little bit of everyone who survived.

The question, now—the ultimate question, on which all life hinges—is how we can once more reframe the terms of this conflict. It is not a question merely of peace versus war: the decade of “peace” that led up to the September 11 attacks was sufficiently bloody to persuade a generation of suicide bombers that it was worth dying to get revenge on the West, and a new peace under the current conditions would be even more treacherous. Nor can we cast this as a conflict between ideologies: we cannot afford to be armchair quarterbacks any longer, backing our favored teams or themes against others while bullets and bombs rain randomly into the stands. The question is—always is, no matter who is dying or killing, no matter what is said on television—what we can do ourselves, what we make of our lives, how each of us interacts with global events in our daily decisions. Our opponents are those who would hinder our efforts and obscure this question for their own ends, who would rather rule over a world of passive spectators wracked by terror and war than take a place among equals acting to correct the injustices that provide justifications for politicians and terrorists alike.

-anonymous

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Actually this was a pretty vast conspiracy im not saying our government had anything to do with it but this took a very large group of people several years of planning to pull off and the government did really drop the ball on catching it and the TV interuptions dont bother me much as all the remmember 9/11 stuff that people keep throwing around i mean yeah peopel remember other things that happened in the past but this is different i mean you dont have all theese people going "remmeber Waco" or "remmember Oklahoma City" i mean those both resulted in needless death and all that but we don spout of crap about that it just seems like the country is still in some huge state of mourning and essentially thats what the terrorists wanted in the first place if we dont get our minds off the past and move into the future the terrorists win.
    That's not 100% accurate man, you have quite a few groups that hold those events up for a variety of reason...some extreme and some sensible. Waco in particular stirs up people from the anti-government side of things along with any and all who fight against the federal government oversteping their bounds...you want to see a murder in action watch the unedited Waco footage. Oklahoma City many argue occured because of events in Waco and Ruby Ridge...these events are not forgotten. It may appear so but in some circles they are alive and increasingly important.

I love conspiracy nuts...they make things so overly complicated and deny human nature along simplicity.
    the moon landing was done in hollywood! hehe

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

if you think we should great, but you have to stop and think about all the people that lost loved ones or were touched by the tragedy in some way, you may be able to move on with your life, but they will not no matter how much they try. its gonna be a part of them for the rest of their lives. and honestly if you lost someone in it, say your parents bothers sisters ect. youd want to remember it too. why not just leave it be. it happens once a year, its not like its everyday, so its nothing to really bitch about.

That's not 100% accurate man, you have quite a few groups that hold those events up for a variety of reason...some extreme and some sensible. Waco in particular stirs up people from the anti-government side of things along with any and all who fight against the federal government oversteping their bounds...you want to see a murder in action watch the unedited Waco footage. Oklahoma City many argue occured because of events in Waco and Ruby Ridge...these events are not forgotten. It may appear so but in some circles they are alive and increasingly important.
    yes they are still alive in the memories of some but it nots like the whole country is still mourning them like what they are doing over 9/11

Hula Hoop Supervisor

yes they are still alive in the memories of some but it nots like the whole country is still mourning them like what they are doing over 9/11
    Well unlike Oklahoma City you didn't have the entire country...and world...watching in real time.

Watching hundreds die on tv right in front of you leaves a bit of an impact...I still get chills seeing the footage of people jumping to their deaths.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    the moon landing was done in hollywood! hehe
    I remember when that was came up again a few years ago...listening to men involved with it and scientists from JPL school the skeptics on it was beautiful...

Well unlike Oklahoma City you didn't have the entire country...and world...watching in real time.

Watching hundreds die on tv right in front of you leaves a bit of an impact...I still get chills seeing the footage of people jumping to their deaths.
    thats very true which is why it kinda bothers me that they replay footage of that on TV every year

Hula Hoop Supervisor

thats very true which is why it kinda bothers me that they replay footage of that on TV every year
    If you look closely you'll see they tend not to play the more graphic stuff...it was an agreement they came to not long after the event...documentaries of course are another matter.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I don't see one day out of the year for remembrance as a major deal.

OEC

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I thought I was coming to a board of open-minded respectable/respectful people....

This thread says otherwise....

Kidthorazine, I was going to try to find a more diplomatic way of saying this but then I decided to just say it......fuck you.

And everyone who thinks this is something that people should just "get over" fuck you too....

The attacks of September 11, 2001 were, on the civilian level completely unexpected and a surprise attack, muck like Pearl Harbor was so many years ago.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but if you're only stating an opinion because it's contriversial or you think it makes you look tough, you have failed and you should be fucking ashamed of yourself.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

simma down now guy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    I thought I was coming to a board of open-minded respectable/respectful people....

This thread says otherwise....

Kidthorazine, I was going to try to find a more diplomatic way of saying this but then I decided to just say it......fuck you.

And everyone who thinks this is something that people should just "get over" fuck you too....

The attacks of September 11, 2001 were, on the civilian level completely unexpected and a surprise attack, muck like Pearl Harbor was so many years ago.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but if you're only stating an opinion because it's contriversial or you think it makes you look tough, you have failed and you should be fucking ashamed of yourself.
    Actually i dont really give a shit about being controversial i have an opinion ad i chose to express it and if you have such a problem with that fuck you i dont really give a rats ass but thats besides the point if you disagree with me then make youre counterpoint and be civil about it your complete lack of civility in your post indicates thats you lack the intelligence to make a decent argument TZ disagreed with my opinion and he posted an argument which i can respect but going of on a rant and shit is completely uncalled for.

see what wars doing to us...people are fighting over opinions of war.
    americans vs terrorists? sure..if you threaten us
    americans vs americans? if you have an opinion on it

everybody has an opinion. not everybody agrees with it but what it comes down to is in order to save ourselves and families and keep them safe.. united we have to defend ourselves. we cant sit back and argue over who's opinions are more "correct". can you imagine if they did that over in iraq?
    Solider 1: " I hate Bush, he made us come here!"
    Soldier 2: " Terrorists made us come here!"
    Soldier 1: " NO! BUSH!"
    Soldier 2: "TERRORISTS!"
    AL Queda Soldier: "BANG BANG"

moral of story..you dont have to like others opinions..but dont argue about them when deaths at the doorstep!

and thats my opinion.

I still find it quite depressing to watch the footage. I also feel that tasteful memorials once a year are appropriate.

moral of story..you dont have to like others opinions..but dont argue about them when deaths at the doorstep!

and thats my opinion.

Solider 1: " I hate Bush, he made us come here!"
    Soldier 2: " Terrorists made us come here!"
    Soldier 1: " NO! BUSH!"
    Soldier 2: "TERRORISTS!"
    AL Queda Soldier: "BANG BANG"

and thats my opinion.
    Sorry, that made me laugh out loud.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I beleive that this public continuance of mourning and dwelling on the tragedy is not healthy. I understand that it was a great tragedy and all, but stagnating for four years in the moment of the death of your loved ones, it's asking for mental illness, prolonged depression and,from those that didn't lose anyone, a belittling of the events. It's time we let the dead rest in peace. If one must continue to mourn it should be a privet thing. Reducing the events to Swweps Week Gold, isn't honouring any one and is makeing the rest of America sick of the whole thing. A bell tolling in NY is fine, media coverage, is sick.
    It is time to move on, the way the dead would have wnated us to, the way they would have were they still with us. Remembering should not be a public, media event.
    K

Howrangi's Avatar So how old are you again?

your keeping it alive by writing this thread
    i second that. but freedom of speech is what its all about.

evilassmaster's Avatar Exiled
    Brunswick, Maine... the other white bread

I'm no conscpiracy enthousiast, but I do believe that the US governement is behind 9/11 and if we keep on remembering the obvious bits, like terrorism and al-quaida, those responsible will have more time to dispose of evidence.

+ Reply to Thread