+ Reply to Thread

Thread: conceptual living

evilassmaster's Avatar Exiled
    Brunswick, Maine... the other white bread

Default conceptual living

I'm wondering why the way artists and aspiring-artists describe art lets anyone be an artist, whereas, in my opinion, there are clearly artistic people, and non-artistic people.

it's not an insult, you know... not being an artist.

forget what I just said, social categorization is best left to americans.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: conceptual living

Quote Originally Posted by evilassmaster
    I'm wondering why the way artists and aspiring-artists describe art lets anyone be an artist, whereas, in my opinion, there are clearly artistic people, and non-artistic people.

it's not an insult, you know... not being an artist.

forget what I just said, social categorization is best left to americans.
    Yeah cause Europeans never do stuff like that...social categorization on a continent steeped with a history of Monarchies?! NEVER!!!

"Social catagorization" is not an American or European trait..it's a human trait...no matter where you go we do it, be it by class, wealth, interest, or even clothing choices.

As far as artists and non-artists...the reason artists feel anyone can be an artist is because anyone can. Keep in mind we're now in a period where having multiple interests or talents seems to be a bad thing...it was not long ago where great scientists where also highly talented artists...art is not the exclusive domain of the creative...I know quite a few pro artists who are not really creative as they are techically profficient...they don't dream up what they do as much as copy or specifically do what they are told...

Is that creative? It can be put up for debate but art can be just as mechanical and lifeless as anything in some hands and I don't mean in terms of opinion but in say something like the mass production of masterworks for profit by painters who are excellent at making "fakes".

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I dug an outhouse hole once for some old guy, and all the people who saw it said it was 'art' , it doesnt matter anymore, all that matters is "did it sell?"

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

of course the real artist wonders "will it ever sell"

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Medium applied to surface (ie paint to canvas) with feeling and soul is ART, esp if no one understands it. Neatly methodical, joyless application of the same might as well be repainting the kitchen. It depends on the purpose and drive that causes paint to be smeared that makes it art.

Man, this is as hard as defining the difference between the Brain and the Mind....
    K

evilassmaster's Avatar Exiled
    Brunswick, Maine... the other white bread

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Monarchies?!
    well... it's no racial segregation but it will have to do ^^

and yes, I agree, most forms of art that are taken into consideration are by a vast silent majority of uneducated people. and ARE mechanical and soulless, yet the reason they are this way is because "that's the market plan", and the people who appreciate them are part of the deal, despite themselves.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

eh. All self expression is art. the art is the creation, not the product. A guy that graffitis to show that he has just as much a right to have a say what's on the walls of his street as some corporation is probably more of an artist then some Italian dude that gets paid to paint a propaganda piece on the sistine chapel.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by evilassmaster
    well... it's no racial segregation but it will have to do ^^
    Yeah cause if anything Europe has never had racial segregation...except in that one war...and that other one..oh yeah and that time with the guy with crown kicked those people out of his country cause they followed that cooky religion...

Hmm come to think of it your statement may be a bit wrong.

+ Reply to Thread