+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Destiny or Choice?

DARKGYM's Avatar King of the night

Default Destiny or Choice?

Do you believe that we are unknowingly following a scripted path through life? Or do you believe that we truly have the freedom of choice?

What do you think and why?

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Destiny or Choice?

i think its a bit of both. i think the choices we make can take us to two very different places but that both of them run simultainiously and we just dont know it

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

We have the choice of a lot of scripts

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I see choice as destiny. In the sense that given events will happen anyways, I would be a fatalist. We do, however, have the choice of how to respond to these externalities. In many ways, this is the only true freedom an individual has.

OEC

I really dont think life is scripted so to say, but I think destiny gives each person achoice on what path to take, but only one choice is the right one, and not everyone takes the right one,

DARKGYM's Avatar King of the night

I do believe that the only true freedom in life is the freedom of choice. But what/who decides if we've made the right or wrong choices?

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by DARKGYM
    I do believe that the only true freedom in life is the freedom of choice. But what/who decides if we've made the right or wrong choices?
    Agreed..and you make your own decisions to what is right or wrong. Unfortunately, society will judge you on your actions. The right thing for me, may be considered wrong for someone else.

exile

the whole situation seems even more futile if its already scripted. I would say that people who believe that the direction of our lives is predetermined just haven't thought about it thoroughly.

As for "good" and "bad" paths and choosing between them: this seems even more absurd given that goodness is a relative concept for all practical purposes. The suicide bomber who blows himself and a dozen other innocents up is by his own reckoning doing what is righteous; an act which should give him access to the kingdom of heaven or some equivalent; nobody can say for certain that his belief is based on ignorance. We just don't know.

I think the universe is a grand pattern in which certain tendencies have emerged based on what's come before. Some things are likely to happen, but our actions determine what actually does.

In other words, there is Fate, but it needs a helping hand.

RobLongshot's Avatar Smut Peddler

i say its a fine combo of both.

Zombie_Fatale's Avatar Senior Member

usually I feel like I'm responsible for where I am now and what is happening to me.. like if I only could go back in time and act otherwise - I would have been now in quite different situation..
    and it is very frustrating to think that it is Fate who is responsible in relative loss ... If only they acted the other way...

but sometimes I do become a fatalist though not for long..

Mr Karl : "We have the choice of a lot of scripts"
    agree to that

reubs's Avatar Senior Member

i believe in choice over fate. my reasoning...and it may be a little different lol...is this. i personally havent been able to figure out any POINT to the existance of mankind. what i mean is, if you take the Earth as your reference point, what effect would it truly have if mankind had never existed. I dont really believe the Earth is going to be better or worse off either way. Lets face it, the species that have come before us have really had minimal impact on future species (i know that we've fucked the planet over, but a million years after we're extinct, itll all probably be fixed...) Im sure a lot of people are going to disagree with me there, and thats cool, but thats the way i see it.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah but just because there is a conclusion doesn't mean that it had to be pointful, ya see?

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Well lately I think fate and destiny play the BIGGEST part.... You have to believe in fate, and maybe magic, karma, god, whatever you want to call it, spirits of people that have passed on watching over us?

Lately so many things have happened to me, really wonderful things that I prayed for, and I know that "I" didn't really do them, something else did them for some kind of reason. But I have no complaints, lately I am just happy that the spirits of movie stars past/and or fate/god is on my side...

There are simply too many factors that are affecting your actions, AND your results, so whatever you do, you're one waterdrop in the ocean.
    You call it fate, i call it reality.
    Offcourse, in the chaos of actions, there are some obvious scripts that seem good to follow. I think there must be a branch of cybernetic science that studies those scripts.

If you're a genoius/insane, you just act beyond scripts.

Sean Deigh out.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Even if you do believe in fate. personal choice plays a big part.

If you choose to punch your boss in the nose, you will get fired.
    That's not fate. You made a choice, and there was an outcome.
    And if you make a really good song, or movie, people will like it.
    If you drink too much, you will get sick. Not fate. But your choice.

Sometimes things seem like fate, or chance, like getting hit by
    a car. But it was that person's choice to look at their cell phone,
    and not pay attention to the road that caused them to hit you.

There are usually people's actions and choices behind all the things that happen to you.

And you can have a lot to do with how your life turns out.

Make the right decisions, and things will go a lot better than
    if you make the wrong ones...

Zombie_Fatale's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Sometimes things seem like fate, or chance, like getting hit by
    a car. But it was that person's choice to look at their cell phone,
    and not pay attention to the road that caused them to hit you.

Make the right decisions, and things will go a lot better than
    if you make the wrong ones...
    exactly my point!

Like, I lost my father mainly because of he didn't get to see doctor before it was too late..

and if I did choose the other education I would've worked now somewhere else ... and my life would've been comletely the other

Like, maybe there is fate, or karma, still great amount of things does depend on our behaviour...

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

We have choice. Fate is something people make up as an excuse for failure, in my book.

Nonetheless, we never have total freedom of choice. You're always shackled by something or other: you can't just tap me on the shoulder right now and say "yes I can", for instance.

There's no fate. Just limits.

+ Reply to Thread