+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock divisions

Clifton_Fury's Avatar Member

Default Rock divisions

Has anyone here got hassle of other kinds of rockers? Its something of a problem in the UK at the moment, with punks hating emos, metallers hating goths and goths hating everyone! I've been 'alternative' for over 10 years now, and dont pigeonhole myself, but I am increasingly finding other people are more than happy to do it for me. In the last week, I've been shouted at in the street for being a 'dirty goth', 'a greebo' and a 'mosher' (metaller). Bizarrely, mostly I get this shit off emo kids, and only rarely from chavs (for anyone lucky enough to be unfamiliar with chavs, they are the ones in tracksuits and baseball caps, dripping in cheap jewellry and more often than not riding what looks like their grandmothers bike, I'm sure everyone has their own name for this breed of people). I dont mean to sound like a crybaby, but it didnt use to be like this!

PS. It always amuses me how little shit my punk friends get on the street. I guess its because everyone knows a goth doesnt want to roll about on the floor fighting... It really ruins your threads!

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Default Re: Rock divisions

Dude I totally agree with you.. but my problem was when my punk freinds would call me a poser becasue I would pay hot-chicks to spike my hair... My Skinhead freinds would call me a poser casue i was goth, and my Goth freinds would call me a poser because I would where white on Sundays.

I told them to shove it... Our lifestyles should be dictated to us by what other people think, How we dress, how they dress....

It is in our Soul.. it how we think, how we feel, how we live and screw that reast of them

exile

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton_Fury
    and only rarely from chavs (for anyone lucky enough to be unfamiliar with chavs, they are the ones in tracksuits and baseball caps, dripping in cheap jewellry and more often than not riding what looks like their grandmothers bike, I'm sure everyone has their own name for this breed of people).
    right, and i have a couple of words which describe people who use the word "CHAV" - obnoxious, ignorant cunts.

kind of ironic that you are complaining about pigeonholing when you've just used a pejorative term to describe a whole 'class' of people.

and no, i don't come from a council estate.

dont think ive ever had that problem with "divisions" my old friend used to listen to emo. i had another friend who listened to rap. then i have friends who listen to both metal and industrial. and have those who listen to old school death rock. only problem ive ever had with is jocks in high school who said i'd ever amount to anything. but thats ok because im sure they are still living at home with mommy while i own my own business now

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Has anyone here got hassle of other kinds of rockers? Its something of a problem in the UK at the moment, with punks hating emos, metallers hating goths and goths hating everyone! I've been 'alternative' for over 10 years now, and dont pigeonhole myself, but I am increasingly finding other people are more than happy to do it for me. In the last week, I've been shouted at in the street for being a 'dirty goth', 'a greebo' and a 'mosher' (metaller). Bizarrely, mostly I get this shit off emo kids, and only rarely from chavs (for anyone lucky enough to be unfamiliar with chavs, they are the ones in tracksuits and baseball caps, dripping in cheap jewellry and more often than not riding what looks like their grandmothers bike, I'm sure everyone has their own name for this breed of people). I dont mean to sound like a crybaby, but it didnt use to be like this!

PS. It always amuses me how little shit my punk friends get on the street. I guess its because everyone knows a goth doesnt want to roll about on the floor fighting... It really ruins your threads!
    Well they are just jealous of you, that's all!!!

Lately I get hassled a lot just for wearing black!!!! People just dress so badly now.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I used to do 924 Gilman and House of Usher in the same night. I'd get some ribbing. You really just have to ignore those types. It is pretty pathetic for them to expect you to conform to a subcultural norm.
    I have a lip ring and wear black to law school. Noone seems to care.

OEC

That's why I dress like a MIB (Men In Black)

you look like a square...but MIB never goes out of style...and people are too afraid that you might be with the IRS to screw with you. (what you lookin' for a audit?)

black suit and tie (I get the security kind, with velcro tabs in back in case anyone tries to grab it) and black sunglasses at night in a club

I used to carry around a black metal framed brief case that I'd use to settle 'disputes'

that's when I'm not in full clown gear... and nobody wants to fuck with a clown...(I was doing this year before ICP btw...) oddly though it seems to creep goths out...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah I used to always get shit from hobos for being a "house kid" because living in a house with someone is counter revolutionary, as opposed to say sitting on your ass all day and taking money from other poor people to give to the worst corporations in the world. they don't seem to care about the ecological destruction that the most punk rock bands inflict touring all over the country, not to mention while enaging in activites like sexism, objectificiation of women, pretty blatant classism, physical mental and verbal abuse... but god forbid you should ever wash your clothes or you'll be a conformist.

oooh I just LOVE crusties...

...here's a fun game to play with them... go buy a couple of 40oz. malt liquors... and tell them that you're going to play a game... you tell them that they can have as many of the 40's as they can catch... and then YOU THROW THE 40'S AT THEM AS HARD AS YOU CAN!!!! the ones that don't hit them and fuck them up, smash on the ground, and they cry over... boohoohoohoo... poor crusties get no cheap piss booze... alcohol abuse, AND physical abuse... heh...

...or you can always set them on fire...

...I do not advocate kicking them sensless though... they have fleas, the plauge, and who knows what else...

(this is from a former dumpster diving crusty btw.)

exile

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    oooh I just LOVE crusties...

...here's a fun game to play with them... go buy a couple of 40oz. malt liquors... and tell them that you're going to play a game... you tell them that they can have as many of the 40's as they can catch... and then YOU THROW THE 40'S AT THEM AS HARD AS YOU CAN!!!! the ones that don't hit them and fuck them up, smash on the ground, and they cry over... boohoohoohoo... poor crusties get no cheap piss booze... alcohol abuse, AND physical abuse... heh...

...or you can always set them on fire...

...I do not advocate kicking them sensless though... they have fleas, the plauge, and who knows what else...

(this is from a former dumpster diving crusty btw.)
    I've never had trouble from crusties and theres plenty around near where i live. I've hung out with a few, seen them getting abused and mistreated by scumbag kids...yeh..real fucking funny. I remember sleeping on a park bench one night recently when a couple of pricks came up and started taunting me with a bottle...

its easy to be an asshole...

\

its easy to be an asshole...[/QUOTE]

yes, and like with any generalized population of human beings there are some crusties who excell at that type of behavior...

I do so love being 'spanged' by folks with $50 worth of peircings in their face, and $500 worth of tattoos on their bodies while my shoes are obviously held together with duct tape.

I've BEEN homeless... I've BEEN a crusty... I know the kind of bullshit that goes on in that lifestyle... I've dumpster dived to feed my friends back at the condemed building we were squatting in, I've had some asshole addict kids mug me, or hang with us for weeks, and then turn around and steal our stuff so they could by beer... I've had great times, and met some wickedly cool traveling kids too...

...and I've been in far, far, far more confrontations with 'ballcaps' (jocks, frat boys, wannabe homeboys, etc.) than with any other group.

ever hear of the 'rainbow family'? or 'drainbows' as they get to be know after the 3rd week of their mooching off of a community... you owe them something maaaan... yeah, you working the crap minimum wage job... you owe us maaan....

some crusties are cool as hell... others may have earned the annoyance of their fellow beings the old fashioned way...

faultofhumanity's Avatar Member

In my area we don't seem to have to many problems with it. metallers go to punk shows with the punk kids and the punk kids go to the metallers shows and they all have a damn good time. although. around here, the punks are more just assholes while the people who really do the crazy shit aren't really in any one of the groups. just kind of on their own little groups

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Here in Manhattan, the East Village used to be the center of goth/punk, etc., but now it is so conservative, I actually get hassled more in the East Village than anywhere else in Manhattan. Just for wearing a black dress and having long blonde hair. I mean, people have come up to me and touched my hair and kind of harrassed me, and for me, this is really toned down!!!

I mean, I have gotten into cabs wearing nothing but a glitter bra and g-string, and no one cared. Things are getting very conservative here since they started closing down all the clubs...

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

I've never understood the whole labeling of music thing, anyway. I mean I like what I like, regardless of what genre it is. I may enjoy one genre more than another, but I can't think of any genre of music that doesn't have at least one song I can listen to repeatedly. This labeling also seems to prevent musicians from exploring new territory. If they do a couple of albums in one genre and release another album in a different genre, their 'fans' usually call them a "sell-out" and don't buy the new album becasue it's different. Whatever.

Anyway, I'll stop my incoherent rambling now.

Quote Originally Posted by cheshire centauri
    right, and i have a couple of words which describe people who use the word "CHAV" - obnoxious, ignorant cunts.

kind of ironic that you are complaining about pigeonholing when you've just used a pejorative term to describe a whole 'class' of people.

and no, i don't come from a council estate.
    Ok, don't try to play the 'class' card with me. I come from a 'working class' family, my dad is a builder, my mum a secretary. It irritates me that you felt the need to get militant. It is nigh on impossible to meet every member of a certain culture, and you can only go on the ones you have met. But I am not a hippy, I am not into all this 'peace and love maaan'. Its obvious you dont come from a council estate, because if you did I assume you would have a more objective view than just taking the easiest path of the moral high ground and a personal attack on my personal experiences. I resent the use of the 'c word', as most people who use it do so purely as a way of deflecting attention from the fact they have nothing of merit to say and for some cheap shock tactic. A 'cunt'? Wow! this guy means business, put down your knives and forks people, Oscar Wilde here has a speech to make! Sorry to rant on, but I should point out that you have just made the exact same mistake you accused me of, which is that pigeonholing people is wrong. So everyone who uses that word is ignorant and obnoxious? I look forward to receiving your reply, but on past experience, i assume you will just try to mock my spelling or grammar. Thank you.

Host's Avatar Member

i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one who gets that kinda' crap all the time. my metal friends tend to refer to me as "the goth", although they're fully aware of how much it innerves me. not based on looks, just my melancholic and pissy nature, and the fact that i listen to more of that stuff than they do... and then i apear at the local club's electro night where the tables turn.

i guess people tend to see in others primarily that which is different from themselves, and go like: "ahh... you're a hopper!", or something. it's really stupid to bash an entire person into one subgenre, but if that's what makes them happy, i'll have no problems with ignoring them.

exile

Ok, don't try to play the 'class' card with me. I come from a 'working class' family, my dad is a builder, my mum a secretary.
    Couldn't care less mate. Makes no difference one way or another. I'm not playing the "class card", the word CHAV inherently refers to social class. I'm not sure if you were aware of this but the word is an abbreviation of "Council Housed And Violent". I'm just kicking back the ball you put in play.

Its obvious you dont come from a council estate, because if you did I assume you would have a more objective view than just taking the easiest path of the moral high ground and a personal attack on my personal experiences.
    I don't understand what you mean by "moral high ground". Yes, i don't think it is appropriate to label off a section of society as violent dangerous scum just because they come from a poor neighborhood.

I resent the use of the 'c word', as most people who use it do so purely as a way of deflecting attention from the fact they have nothing of merit to say and for some cheap shock tactic.
    Actually i rather like the word. I also don't find it shocking. In any case, this part of my message was impersonal, i didn't call you obnoxious or a cunt. I kept it deliberately vague and open ended, i realize that plenty of people that use the word do so out of ignorance rather than vindication.

you have just made the exact same mistake you accused me of, which is that pigeonholing people is wrong. So everyone who uses that word is ignorant and obnoxious? .
    last i heard the word "cunt" didn't refer to a racial or social group. I never even said that everyone who uses the word is in fact ignorant and obnoxious, only that i like to call them that. The truth is, i don't really care whether people use the word or not, i just wanted to have a debate about it, out of boredom maybe.
    Anyway, i hope i didn't offend you, it wasn't my intention.

Thats awesome man. As far as I'm concerned, thats a fuckin good reason, and thanks for it! It was a lively debate. I was in a bit of a pissy mood that day anyway, and you got it out of my system.

+ Reply to Thread