+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who's Hustling Who?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Who's Hustling Who?

The Stripper message board thread MistressJennifer started had me wondering an old question about that wonderful profession. Now first off I'll clearify...I no longer go to strip clubs. The "rules" many have killed the fun of it long ago for me. The gentlemen club mentality just felt too silly to stomach...but I had my fun and remember it fondly.

Two things always came to mind though...

1. Do men really fall "in love" for a particular dancer? I know dancers have regulars and all that but are there really cases where guys fool themselves so much that they toss away money at certain dancers only cause they think the attention they pay for is real?

I can understand liking a dancer and spending the cash for legitimate reasons...I was a big fan of certain dancers back in the day cause they were REALLY good at their job. But I never took it beyond what it was...a service being paid for.

2. Do dancers really think they are manipulating their customers? Now outside of the guys who think they are "in love" don't most go to a strip club for specific reasons? How can you manipulate people who are already aware of the game it all is? They spend their money for entertainment, time, converstation, private dancers...whatever. It seems less a hustle and more simple capitalism. Time and services bought and sold.

I ask this mainly to get some sort of idea on the mentality of both sides in these sort of situations. I can understand buying into ones own lies that a dancer likes them...lonliness is a cruel thing...but to honestly think it's real. That's something diffrent. For a dancer to think she's truly manipulating her customers seems a bit extreme given the nature of the buisness...no one goes to a strip club without $$$. It's pretty much known everything has it's price and nothing is free. If anything it could apply to getting MORE than the customer was willing to spend...at most.

Any thoughts or ideas on all this?

Default Re: Who's Hustling Who?

I have a theory about haunted houses and horror movies. The basic idea is that you can only be scared by them if you let yourself be scarewd by them. You have to deliberately turn off the part of your brain that says "this is not real" or it just won't be scary.

I always though the same was true in a strip club. If you don't let yourself believe the show then it is just a girl dancing for money. But then you here about guys spending so much money and becoming groupies and you start to wonder. I guess it is like any other fantasy. Some people can turn it off when they are done and some cannot.

^ That's a good analogy

For question #1:
    I'd say yes! I go to a Topless bar on my birthday every year , and I'm always shocked and amazed at some of the other patrons. Sad sacks of shit! (I'm sure they are thinking the same thing about me), but I like really dumpy strip clubs where all the dancers are on the 'Jenny Crank' weight loss plan' and have cesarean scars... I can't speak about fancy places, never been in one.

#2 I have know idea? I would guess yes

Last edited by Toe Cutter; 10-19-2005 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think it goes both ways, both people need to fool themselves into thinking that they are doing something worthwhile. the men need to fool themselves into thinking they could get chicks without having to pay for them, and the women want to beleive that they aren't just selling themselves, and they are somehow less desperate then the men.

but that's really how it is in every job. someone gives thier money and someone else gives their time/abilities, both people usually don't end up getting back what they put in.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

The problem I have is that all this self delusion and whatnot occurs on the fringes of the core performance. I'm perfectly happy to spend money to watch a great show with exciting dancers with great moves and such. I don't think it's more of a relationship than that, nor do I think the dancer is really tricking me out of my money. I appreciate the show. Sometimes I appreciate the conversation, if the dancer is good and personable. It's not about what may or may not come next, it's not about any sort of private room interaction. It's a show. Hopefully a good one.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

this reminds me of this one time we went to a stripclub for a friends birthday and we invited a fellow co worker of ours. This guy was realy suckered by this one girl he got i think like 30 lap dances by the same girl i think he nearly drained his bank account cause evry time id see him hed be in line at the ATM machine convinently placed inside. by the end of the night he wouldnt shut up about how great this girl was and how she kept talking to him. by then i was kinda fed up and told him to shut up because the chick prety much suckerd him out of all his dough. he was like "no way this chick liked me why else would she keep asking if i wanted another dance?" by this time i was like "you dumb ass thats her job, you think your the only person shes ever given a lap dance to ?" the rest of the car ride was rather uneventful and oddly quiet for a bunch of drunk guys who just left a strip club. My friends and I also decided not to invite that guy anywhere again.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Its a game..and I think both parties like to play. When I go, I'm not deluded into thinking these women even would speak to me on the street. But that's where I have my fun. You think I tell these women that I'm just some broke ass bluecoller joe? I play the game and try to sell them some assinine story about how I'm dying of a terminal illness or some shit, and see what I can get for free. When all is said and done, we all have a little fun, someone makes some money and no one gets hurt. It's suppost to be fun, after all..what kind of jackass goes to the stripclub looking for a date.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    after all..what kind of jackass goes to the stripclub looking for a date.
    i only go to get boobies shoved in my face

+ Reply to Thread