+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this theft?

Default Is this theft?

Ok.. so technically i know the answer to this but come on.. its a weirdly funny story..

So when we moved to Atlanta in the beginning of Sept. we rented a 2005 SUV...their computer was screwed up so they had to hand write a receipt and note saying we took it..

it was due back in a week to a different location..

well we still have it..they havent tried to bill us or contact us about it.. i think they forgot about their car or misplaced the receipt..

question is what should i do?! lol is this grand theft? is it a mistake on their part so maybe we should keep it hoping they wont find out? is there GPS units on rental cars?! lol im a little confused on why they dont want their new car back.. any info?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Is this theft?

I don't think it's theft since you didn't steal anything, they technically gave you the car. however, the gave it to you under the circumstances where it's agreed you get the car for a period of time depending on the money that you give them. so say if you give them some money and keep the car indefinatly, you aren't in breach of contract... but it could bite you in the ass down the road when they say ok, you've had our car for so and so at such and such cost per timerate, you should have just gone out and bought one cuz now you owe us a bajillion dollars.

to answer you questions: not technically, maybe, and most likely.

Maybe if they call ill swap plates, find a river and dump it haha.. " uh... i dunno man.. it was stolen from us like 3 weeks ago and just so happens to be parked with the fishys behind my house...what a coincidence... see ya!"

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well ya know, it's the damndest thing, we wanted to get the hell outa dodge when hurricane katrina came, and we though Florida would make a nice sunny vacation spot! so no, you won't be seeing your car again.

Is it in your name? I'd be a little nervous. Worst case scenario it's a felony, pretty serious. If it's got onstar they can track the car.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Most if not all rental cars these days have lo-jack installed on them. It's only a matter of time before you get your ass put in a sling. I'd return it asap.

The few times I have had to rent a car it was done on a basis sort of like renting a movie....You rent it for 5 days and after that there are late fees...And they charge you by timerate or mile rate whatever the company chooses....

At least thats what it was last time I rented...But I only had it for 2 extra days...I just had to pay for those two extra days....

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Well, regardless of the fact that they rent it,
    they own the car. They own the title to the car.
    So just because they gave you the keys, and agreed
    to rent it to you, when they realize it's not been returned,
    they will put out a report that it has been stolen.
    So when you get pulled over, you will be in posession
    of a stolen car, and the courts will not care what your
    excuse is. It will be your job to prove you did not steal
    it, and your bail money to get yourself out of jail, and
    your time having to go to court. It will be a lot more
    hassle than it's worth...

Just go buy a POS car somewhere.
    A friend of mine years ago, picked up a really fun car for $500.

the bomb diggity, word

IF you really want the truck...... as long as you paid cash and they dont have your SSN or copy of lisence, they have no way of proving that you are the same "Jane Doe" that rented their car....

as for the plates, those are the least of your worries, if you are pulled over you could just claim that you bought the car cash from a friend who was moving and needed to unload the car....

IF you decide the car than get a small philips-head screwdriver and find the small aluminum plate in the bottom righthand corner of the windshield (looking at it from the outside, or to your left at the front of the dash if you are inside in the driver's seat) and REMOVE this, it is the VIN #, there is also a VIN # on the side of the driver's door when it is open, probably on a big white sticker (just black it out with a sharpie), or if it is an older car than there will be a similar sticker under the hood right above the firewall when you are staring at the engine...

As for tracking, if it is Avis, Hertz, or some other major service than they DO have a way of tracking the car (assuming it is a GM vehicle) via on-star, some non-major car rental places use gps transponders (aka Lo-Jack) but they are unreliable and most likely would only give them a 100mile radius of where the car is.......

Umm.... yea, all of the above info is just what i have "heard", you can do (lol) so I AM NO WAY RESPONSIBLE if you carry out the above actions and get yourself a nice FREE SUV!

As for the legality, although you could find a loophole via the claim above (not having your ssn or copy of lisence), it is technically illegal and being that the car's value is over $3,000 it would be considered grand theft (auto, but not as cool as the videogame)....

Hope this helps!

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

~peoplejudgeme~ I get the feeling you've done this before.

~VoldtaEngler~ I say return the SUV. With the cost of gas and etc if they ever take it back not only will you have paid insane amounts of money in gas prices but they will demand a really large sum.

An ex-bf of mine rented a car in Mayport, Fla when it was found in Alabama a month later where it ran out of gas they put a warrent out on him. He was arrested for grand theft.

K

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Most if not all rental cars these days have lo-jack installed on them. It's only a matter of time before you get your ass put in a sling. I'd return it asap.
    Indeed...I'm sure they have the cars plates and vin number on file somewhere. They'll find it at some point and the last thing you want is grand theft auto on your record.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by peoplejudgeme
    IF you really want the truck...... as long as you paid cash and they dont have your SSN or copy of lisence, they have no way of proving that you are the same "Jane Doe" that rented their car....

as for the plates, those are the least of your worries, if you are pulled over you could just claim that you bought the car cash from a friend who was moving and needed to unload the car....

IF you decide the car than get a small philips-head screwdriver and find the small aluminum plate in the bottom righthand corner of the windshield (looking at it from the outside, or to your left at the front of the dash if you are inside in the driver's seat) and REMOVE this, it is the VIN #, there is also a VIN # on the side of the driver's door when it is open, probably on a big white sticker (just black it out with a sharpie), or if it is an older car than there will be a similar sticker under the hood right above the firewall when you are staring at the engine...

As for tracking, if it is Avis, Hertz, or some other major service than they DO have a way of tracking the car (assuming it is a GM vehicle) via on-star, some non-major car rental places use gps transponders (aka Lo-Jack) but they are unreliable and most likely would only give them a 100mile radius of where the car is.......

Umm.... yea, all of the above info is just what i have "heard", you can do (lol) so I AM NO WAY RESPONSIBLE if you carry out the above actions and get yourself a nice FREE SUV!

As for the legality, although you could find a loophole via the claim above (not having your ssn or copy of lisence), it is technically illegal and being that the car's value is over $3,000 it would be considered grand theft (auto, but not as cool as the videogame)....

Hope this helps!

Or you could listen to this man.

Kevin's Avatar to thine own self be true
    In the O.C. (but not the hoity-toity parts)

It's not your car.

Keeping it is theft, whether or not the counter jockies have caught on yet.

Return it 'cause that's the right thing to do, not 'cause you might get caught.

the bomb diggity, word

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Or you could listen to this man.

lol.... im serious though... dont come blaming me if you have to pay high gas prices on your newly obtained suv......

oh yea i forgot one thing, if you follow all of my above directions and like the truck than spend $300.00 for a [crappy] full body paintjob by your local bodyshop, just tell them to treat it like an overlay and use an airbrush, something flat no metalic or pearl (we still dont want to draw attention).....

[just to cover my ass again]
    before someone who knows cars jumps on me (i SAID OVERLAY.... i know that a fullbody would be more in the neighborhood of 2g's with house of kolor....)

the bomb diggity, word

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    It's not your car.

Keeping it is theft, whether or not the counter jockies have caught on yet.

Return it 'cause that's the right thing to do, not 'cause you might get caught.

or capitalize on clerical error on the part of a multinational conglomerate that makes a profit margin of about 10000% PER CAR, which they then sell at above-auction prices when the leases run out.....

your choice

the bomb diggity, word

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    ~peoplejudgeme~ I get the feeling you've done this before.

K
    im just trying to help someone out by providing some tips if they chose to carry them out than that was not because of my influence...

.... sorry if i am coming off like some sort of "devil on the shoulder".... im new here i am still trying to make friends and i though i could help out

Kevin's Avatar to thine own self be true
    In the O.C. (but not the hoity-toity parts)

or capitalize on clerical error on the part of a multinational conglomerate that makes a profit margin of about 10000% PER CAR, which they then sell at above-auction prices when the leases run out.....

your choice
    Ah, the New American Dream: To get so rich and to be so successful that people feel perfectly justified in stealing from you.

I'm content with my choice.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

well we still have it..they havent tried to bill us or contact us about it.. i think they forgot about their car or misplaced the receipt..

question is what should i do?! lol is this grand theft? is it a mistake on their part so maybe we should keep it hoping they wont find out?

think of it from the point of view of the poor idiot who screwed up. someone is going to be held accountable for this, and it's likely they either don't have a job any more or they're being made to pay for the loss.

then again, i suppose it's their fault for not knowing how to do their job properly without a computer.

then again again, an SUV isn't the sort of thing anyone (except maybe the Sultan of Brunei) can afford to forget about. unless you have the thing melted down for scrap metal, they'll catch up with you one day. better have a good excuse ready.

im working on an excuse.. im'a pop the tire and when they find out ill tell em i tried to talk to a local office but they couldnt confirm we had the car so they never took it and i cant get it out of my damn driveway. so it'll look like i had it not on my terms! heh.. ill throw the spare away too..4 steps ahead! ah shit cops are here BYE GUYS :P

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

It's easy to swap the plates and repaint, and remove the VIN, etc...

But the main problem is that if you look a little "different",
    the cops will pull you over, even if the car looks totally normal.
    And when they do, they will want registration papers.
    And they will try to match them to the VIN, and if the
    VIN #s are gone, and the plates don't match, it does
    not matter what excuses you have, they will take you
    to jail. And the mere fact you tried to change plates,
    etc, will work as evidence you tried to cover it up,
    and steal the car. And you will most likely end up
    doing time. You may get away with it for a while,
    but when you get caught, you will be in a shitload
    of trouble...

the bomb diggity, word

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    It's easy to swap the plates and repaint, and remove the VIN, etc...

But the main problem is that if you look a little "different",
    the cops will pull you over, even if the car looks totally normal.
    And when they do, they will want registration papers.
    And they will try to match them to the VIN, and if the
    VIN #s are gone, and the plates don't match, it does
    not matter what excuses you have, they will take you
    to jail. And the mere fact you tried to change plates,
    etc, will work as evidence you tried to cover it up,
    and steal the car. And you will most likely end up
    doing time. You may get away with it for a while,
    but when you get caught, you will be in a shitload
    of trouble...

you can always "tag" it and buy the vin plates and registration off of a salvaged or wrecked suv (from a local junkyard) and attach them to the car..... and its not like he is going to be riding around on 24" chrome rims with spinners and tv's in the headrest, so... baring his plowing into the side of a police car or blatantly breaking the law, there is nothing that would make his suv any more "different" than someone who has painted damage on their car......

the bomb diggity, word

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Ah, the New American Dream: To get so rich and to be so successful that people feel perfectly justified in stealing from you.

I'm content with my choice.
    i didnt say that justified it... i said "your choice"... anyway i myself am in the field of finance so i have no qualms with the capitalist system... what i
    might have been referring to was that the insurance policy that they carry on their cars often allows for a gain if they claim theft, as they insure them by their historical cost (AKA brand new price) and the car has in fact depreciated, allowing them to write off any loss of value.... thus they actually gain (baring a raise in premium) from collecting on insurance for ONE vehicle.....

~peoplejudgeme~ it's kinda cool to have another know it all on the boards. Now I don't have to know everyhting

~voldta~ I say give it back. It's more trouble than it's worth.

K

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    Is this theft?
    yep. call where you were supposed to drop it off, act stupid, they may let you keep it longer. but it's nicking, and they probably have a better lawyer than you.

soz.

~voldta~ DUDE! I just checked your site. You ROCK! Exacataly what I was looking for. Esp the goggles. Rob wanted a pair like that so bad. Now I can get them for him. *happy dance* KISSES!
    K

thanks. i have about 10 more creations that are not posted on there right now. i dont want to advertise here but one of them is on our ebay right now. its all custom and hand made to order and none of the lenses are stickers.. its all handpainted so its not like rushed together.. time and effort are put into each one which makes them even more unique!

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    thanks. i have about 10 more creations that are not posted on there right now. i dont want to advertise here but one of them is on our ebay right now. its all custom and hand made to order and none of the lenses are stickers.. its all handpainted so its not like rushed together.. time and effort are put into each one which makes them even more unique!
    Payday is the first so I will make a big order then. What a nice neat short cut. I shoulda looked around here first. *smiles like a mad woman*
    K

lol you dont read the promotion board much do ya? i plaster my junk-turned-cyberart in there :P when ordering off the website just add your BB user name in comments and add the coupon code : BBBOARD for a discount (case sensitive)

im not sure if my banner exhange with BB actually works or not but the banner i have up offers that coupon code just for people of BB and BB Exchanges
    Last edited by VoldtaEngler; 10-25-2005 at 04:08 PM. Reason: mispell

Sweet.

the bomb diggity, word

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    ~peoplejudgeme~ it's kinda cool to have another know it all on the boards. Now I don't have to know everyhting

K
    lol, this might be the only thread that i have posted in since joining 4 months ago.... sorry if i came off like an ass, this is the only subject that has come up that i actually know a little about...

lol, this might be the only thread that i have posted in since joining 4 months ago.... sorry if i came off like an ass, this is the only subject that has come up that i actually know a little about...
    Now if we were tlaking about stealing one I'd be your girl Picking locks is a specialty of mine (2 min record).

k

the bomb diggity, word

can you do ignitions as well?.... can you beat 38 seconds on a jdm? lol... this is turning into a criminal olympics

can you do ignitions as well?.... can you beat 38 seconds on a jdm? lol... this is turning into a criminal olympics
    Havn't done it in a loooong time. s'pose it depends on the make and year etc etc. last time though was under a minute thirty. :P I'm better at locks.

K

+ Reply to Thread