+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Depression

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Depression

So 6 months ago I had a son. Ever since then I have been so incredibly depressed, I have fought depression my whole life. It has become unmanagable. Every night I go to bed hoping I will die and every morning when I wake up I am disappointed. I know it is selfish of me, and I should be happy for my son. I dont even know what would make me happy anymore, I have never felt so alone. And in oregon you cant get insurance if you arent married to the dad but are living with him. Im totally lost. I stay at home with my son, I have no friends and noone in my family will aknowledge the fact that I am miserable..I dont know what to do.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Depression

postpartum depression is rather common and there are many ways to get help for it..... medicine or otherwise.

all i can say is try to find something new and fun that you and your son enjoy doing.

maybe have more fun with diapers. lol

(: thanx

Kevin's Avatar to thine own self be true
    In the O.C. (but not the hoity-toity parts)

I'm no doctor, but it rather sounds like you're suffering from postpartum depression.

In short, you need to find a qualified mental health professional and get some help. You deserve to get help, and your son needs, wants, and deserves his mother.

I'm not sure what resources are available to you, but a Google search on "postpartum depression" turned up, as the first link, a site that appears promising: PSI: Postpartum Support International.

From their site:
    Have you recently given birth? Are you feeling exhausted, anxious, depressed, or just not yourself? If you are—you are not alone. Many women are not prepared for the wide range of emotions they may experience after the birth of a child. They often feel sadness, anger, anxiety, or a sense of inadequacy.

These feelings may vary in frequency and intensity, but are collectively known as postpartum mood disorders. Help and support is an important part of getting back to feeling like yourself again.

The important thing to remember is that the symptoms are temporary and treatable with skilled professional care and social support. Whether you think you are depressed or just want more information, Postpartum Support International (PSI) is here to help.
    You've taken a huge step: You've asked us for help. Give yourself a lot of credit for that!

Your next step should be to find a doctor or a counselor or a support group to talk to.

(And please: If you ever feel like you're about to harm yourself or your son, please go to the emergency room. They will help you.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    I'm no doctor, but it rather sounds like you're suffering from postpartum depression.

In short, you need to find a qualified mental health professional and get some help. You deserve to get help, and your son needs, wants, and deserves his mother.

I'm not sure what resources are available to you, but a Google search on "postpartum depression" turned up, as the first link, a site that appears promising: PSI: Postpartum Support International.

From their site:

You've taken a huge step: You've asked us for help. Give yourself a lot of credit for that!

Your next step should be to find a doctor or a counselor or a support group to talk to.

(And please: If you ever feel like you're about to harm yourself or your son, please go to the emergency room. They will help you.)
    thanks Kevin, Im gonna check out the support group. Oregon has a really bad way of singeling people out who dont have insurance,for mental health. You cant find a sliding scale clinic anywhere! this may help though

That's lame your family is no help. I'm sorry to hear your stuggling. You should really try speak to someone. I'm sure there is tons help waiting for you. I wish you well.

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

damn i really know how that is. i suffered so bad after my daughter was born that all i would do is lay there. i didnt even want to look at her. you need to get help. there should be counseling places around you. no matter how you do it just get help ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by suicidal_tendencies
    damn i really know how that is. i suffered so bad after my daughter was born that all i would do is lay there. i didnt even want to look at her. you need to get help. there should be counseling places around you. no matter how you do it just get help ASAP
    I called a crisis line this morning and they are getting me an urgent appt. with a counsiler..hopefully it will pan out

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    I called a crisis line this morning and they are getting me an urgent appt. with a counsiler..hopefully it will pan out

good for you. itll help trust me

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

postnatal depression is absolutely horrible, and the feeling of being friendless is a very common one. an obscene amount of people still subscribe to the 'pull yourself together' school of dealing with depression, but all it is is an illness (and a very common one too). it WILL lessen with time and especially with help.

something else i'd personally recommend is checking out local parenting/play groups, let your little 'un gurgle away with kiddies of his own age and then go say hi to their parents. if there isn't an organised group near you then you'll probably find that there's a local park or play area where other parents hang out. sorry if you've already tried this, and i know that when feeling blue it's nigh on impossible to get in the mood to do that kind of stuff, but take things slowly, maybe stuff like sitting junior on your lap while you throw bread to the ducks.

sorry if i sound patronising, i don't mean to. i just have far FAR too much experience with mental illness.

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

i am dealing with the same kinda thing. my baby is almost 6 months old and i have the same thoughts at times. the best thing to do is go to appt. do what ever it takes p.p.d. can be very bad. just know you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    So 6 months ago I had a son. Ever since then I have been so incredibly depressed, I have fought depression my whole life. It has become unmanagable. Every night I go to bed hoping I will die and every morning when I wake up I am disappointed. I know it is selfish of me, and I should be happy for my son. I dont even know what would make me happy anymore, I have never felt so alone. And in oregon you cant get insurance if you arent married to the dad but are living with him. Im totally lost. I stay at home with my son, I have no friends and noone in my family will aknowledge the fact that I am miserable..I dont know what to do.
    you know what... give me your e-mail and I can tell you hov bad my situation was (and still partialy is) and after that you will fell much better after realising how much worst could actualy be...
    it's up to you...
    shouldn't baby be your guide trought the life, whenever I think about killing my self I think about how many people I would disapoint and turn down at the same time, firsth of all my mom couldn't take it, she will probably pass out to and she is saint for me so I give my best to avoid such thoughts...

one tip on end, try going so low as you can with meaning to get you self discusted by your self... don't clean, don't take showers as for long it goes... at same time eat well, maybe try to stop smoking if you do that so that you could keep your mind busy somehow, play games.... when you get to the bottom it will just sudenly switch... you'll get massive will to get all things wright again... It worked on me, I don't know how would it work with you.... good luck

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Man oh man what a horrible thing to be going through! I have never had any kids but I know when you are depressed it feels impossible to conquer. I am a big fan of distraction, the more you keep busy the more you start thinking about those new fun things you are doing, and less about how you are feeling emotionally. Last night I went on a bike ride/ beer binge with a friend for 3 hours because we are both feeling a little depressed, and we came out of it feeling much better. But I am sure that much time is hard to find when you are raising a kid.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    you know what... give me your e-mail and I can tell you hov bad my situation was (and still partialy is) and after that you will fell much better after realising how much worst could actualy be...
    it's up to you...
    really sorry dude, but i've never found the 'it could be worse' school of thought particularly conducive to relieving depression, whether it be 'there are people starving in africa' or 'joe bloggs has mpd and had both of his legs amputated last tuesday'. if i'm totally frank it exacerbates things, and made me personally feel completely pathetic that i couldn't deal with what was going on in my head. I'm not denying what you've had to cope with, but your post suggests you're working through something mental health related so how about posting about the things that have helped?

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    it's up to you...
    shouldn't baby be your guide trought the life, whenever I think about killing my self I think about how many people I would disapoint and turn down at the same time, firsth of all my mom couldn't take it, she will probably pass out to and she is saint for me so I give my best to avoid such thoughts...

one tip on end, try going so low as you can with meaning to get you self discusted by your self... don't clean, don't take showers as for long it goes... at same time eat well, maybe try to stop smoking if you do that so that you could keep your mind busy somehow, play games.... when you get to the bottom it will just sudenly switch... you'll get massive will to get all things wright again... It worked on me, I don't know how would it work with you.... good luck
    chanelle@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    Man oh man what a horrible thing to be going through! I have never had any kids but I know when you are depressed it feels impossible to conquer. I am a big fan of distraction, the more you keep busy the more you start thinking about those new fun things you are doing, and less about how you are feeling emotionally. Last night I went on a bike ride/ beer binge with a friend for 3 hours because we are both feeling a little depressed, and we came out of it feeling much better. But I am sure that much time is hard to find when you are raising a kid.
    yeah I try to keep occupied, its hard when you have bottles and changings and sick babies in between though...

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

sometimes the baby can be the thing that occupies you. try going for walks and all that mom crap. believe me it helps even if it's just a little. i didn't even know what p.p.d. was when i had my first baby. i had to work through it pritty much alone. what kept me going was the thought of someone else raising my baby. i'm not super mom but i know my hubby's taste in women and i really don't want them raising my babies. talking it out helps too.

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

Actually a good simple, yet effective treatment for many forms of depression is to buy smily stickers. Place them in random places that you pass by often and whenever you see one smile. Our bodies respond to how we have the muscles in our face set. If you smile it produces chemicles to make you happier, when you frown your body thinks i must be angry, sad etc and releases chemicles that mirror that. Thank you intro to pyschology class.

+ Reply to Thread