+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Vote?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Why Vote?

If you're in CA you know their is a big push to be for or against certain propositions. In other states their are important elections for some key leaders in said states political structure.

Now Amelia reminded those in CA to vote for great reasons at that. Earlier today I was reminded to vote for the same reasons. During that particular reminder though it was commented that the under 30 set simply don't seem to care these days. Call it apathy, lazyness, the desire not to add more to an already full plate, whatever.

Ultimately though like many of my age range...we simply don't vote. Some will vote on the big things but from a state to city level we may as well not exist. I know this is a bad thing but what is the real cause of all this? I know I care about the issues...but it seems I don't care enough to actually say something about it in the system we have.

Given I'm not alone I've been wondering all day why the desire to vote is simply not there. Any one have any theories on why so many don't have the desire to vote?

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Default Re: Why Vote?

I think a lot of it is because (at least among people I know) we've seen the supposed system fuck things up. In King County there was a whole big thing about miscounted and bad voting practices. That kind of wholesale fuck up (and I've seen here and there that kind of thing happen in other states too) can make a person feel like no matter what they do or how they vote things are going to be fucked.

My .02 cents.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Voting is a chore, but it is an important one. It is not supposed to be entertaining. The powers that be sometimes even go out of their way to make it difficult.

I think part of the problem is a school system and a generation of parents who didn't bother to instill a sense of civic responsibility.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

i just dont care about local or even state politics... i dont have kids and i move a lot. I know that's not a good enough reason, but it's my reason. I do vote in all the ballots when there's a presidential election.

the bomb diggity, word

you need to vote for one reason....

everything that you dislike about public policy, the current administration, and the legal system is either directly or indirectly determined solely by the voting of the population...... the only reason that we are stuck with the current situation is because all of the people who advocate those horrible policies (imho) ALWAYS come out to vote... the elderly, the conservative right, and the extreme christians consistently lead other segments of the population in voter turnout.....

YOU NEED TO VOTE TO HELP US OUTNUMBER THE IDIOTS!

+ Reply to Thread