+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good Books I Should Pick Up?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Good Books I Should Pick Up?

So I've been on a kind of jacked up schedule recently. Had a lot of work to do and been sleeping sort of sporadically. When I wake up at a random time and I haven't quite woken up enough to work yet, I've been buying a bunch of books, mostly online.

So anyone have some recommendations of good books? Not that I haven't already spent an absurd amount more than I should on them, but whatever.

Not interested at the moment in sports, religion, or true crime.

Extra interested in noir, dark comedy, comedic thriller (e.g. Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiassen), social science fiction, dark fantasy, and hipster/big city, gay/lesbian, and punk reads or some combination of the above.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Re: Good Books I Should Pick Up?

There's this one book by a Dr. Drew Pinksy, "Cracked". Its really good. One of the few books I've actually read front to back.

in all honesty if your like me you'll pull a scifi and just go thru all of the outer limits books and really pay attention to all the before and after quotes and put them to use i real life and see if your really on the outer limits

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

One of my favorite questions. This is a shortlist though.

American Psycho One of my favorite books ever. A classic.

Suicide Blonde Another very good book. It seems to me this book kind of flew under the radar but it is a very good read.

wild seed I really liked this book a lot. I'm not a huge sci fi/fantasy reader but this one really got my attention. I'll be reading more of her work.

Testosterone Very LA Noir. Love, obsession, drugs. Very good book.

Vampire Vow and the sequel Vampire Thrall are both very good books. An interesting take on the vampire mythos.

That's all I've got for the moment.

hey if your into the whole erotic readings your should probaly read a bunch lemon fanfics from of the enternet thats something else i would do but know cares why

About a beauty queen turned jacked up in an accident (plus the cover is fun if you turn it upside down)

havent read this one yet..but by same author.

The author for both these books wrote fight club.

Hey Voldta did you read his non fiction collection of essays? The title escapes me at the moment but it was really good. I read Haunted as well and really enjoyed it a lot.

hey how about kicking it old school and read the shinning

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    Hey Voldta did you read his non fiction collection of essays? The title escapes me at the moment but it was really good. I read Haunted as well and really enjoyed it a lot.
    was it called survivor? if so then no i havent read that one yet

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Okay so these are the books I've read (and reread) lately that I loved:
    American Gods (Gainman) The gods of the old world that travelled to the new country clash with 21st century godlings
    Weave World (Barker) think Through The Looking Glass Only better
    Wicked (Maguire) the life and times of hte wicked witch of hte west
    Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister (Maguire) Cinderella from the stepstister's pov.
    Mirror Mirror (Maguire) Snow White meets the Borgias.
    Hades Daughter and God's Concubine (Sarah Douglas) Reincarnation meets murder mystery.
    Potter and the Half-blood Prince (Rowling) So dark I didn't think I was old enough to read it.
    Children of the Vampire, Covanent With a Vampire and Lord of the Vampires (Kalgrodis) A rewrite of Dracula that really does it justice.

And True Confessions of Charlotte Doyal, I'm always reading this one.

Hope that helps!
    K

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Albert Camus - The Rebel and Myth of Sisyphus. They both tie into everything you mentioned.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Social science fiction??

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    I think it was called Stranger then Fiction: mostly true stories. or something like that. yeah, he's one of my favorite authors.

Keiko, yah american gods is a really great book. have you read the (sort of) sequel(ish) anansi boys? I haven't yet.

another book that I really loved that was similiar to that was "The Holy" by daniel quinn, I think the author was.

Bedlamite

One more vote for "Wicked". Awsome book!!!

Also, I don't know if you'd like it, but another favorate of mine is called London and its a really neat historical fiction about the City.

you've probably already read a bunch of Neal Stephenson...but here goes...

his Cryptonomicon is a book that made me weep, I mean it was everything I meant to write in the last 15 years... only written much better than I'll ever write it... (not selling myself short, I write some damn cool shxdxt...but still) it's cyberpunk (or 'cypherpunk' since crypotography is the major focus of the story) set a week from wednesday...and simultaneously during WWII

his Baroque Cycle trilogy is a psuedo-prequel... taking place mostly during the 1700's with people like Issac Newton, and Louis the IVX as supporting (although important) characters Quicksilver, The Confusion, The System of the World... all lengthy books, that didn't feel long enough.

...yeah, yeah, his other cyberpunk books are good too (who hasn't read 'Snow Crash', or 'Diamond Age')

anyway... have fun reading!

I'd also recommend American Psycho, but I'd be surprised if Amelia hasn't already read it? I could definitely recommend Ellis' The Informers , though....

My real recommendation to Amelia would be Charles Fleming's High Concept , the biography of movie producer and notorious Hollywood bad boy Don Simpson (Top Gun, Flashdance, Beverly Hills Cop etc.)...brutal, jaw-dropping and utterly compelling!

Umbilical Lotus's Avatar Pregnant with Atrocities

Time to pimp my favorite unknown author - Sean Stewart.

He writes mainly magic-realism, or fantastic situations either looked at realistically or written from a real-world perspective. He has a great writing style, and his characters are supremely believable. There's just not enough praise I can give the guy, and it's sad to see that so few people know of him and his work. Perfect Circle is his newest (apart from a Star Wars book :p), about an aging punk who sees ghosts, though my personal favorite and reccomendation is The Night Watch (and the book it's a "sequel" to, Resurrection Man). You'll probably have to search online, as I only found his newest with GREAT strain in Toronto.

Anything by Martha Wells. ><

Death of the Necromancer, preferably.

WE, by Y. Zamyatin

Choke, by Palahniuk I saw several other Palahniuk books on the list, so I thought I would drop this one in there.

Nudemuse, thanks for reminding me of American Psycho.. I keep meaning to get that one but always forget it. The movie with Christian Bale was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I think it was called Stranger then Fiction: mostly true stories. or something like that. yeah, he's one of my favorite authors.

Yes thank you.

If you liked the movie Tinstar you'll LOVE the book more.

OEC have you read Camus' The Stranger? I've read most of his books and that one is my absolute favorite.

I think next I'm going to read some Mike Philbin and more music related non-fiction.

+ Reply to Thread