+ Reply to Thread

Thread: short, shameful confession

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Default short, shameful confession

i've been listening to Steely Dan for the past month or so, with no shame whatsoever.

it's funky!

bit of William S Burroughs synchronicity there, too. the better informed will know that Steely Dan named themselves after a dildo from Burroughs' "Naked Lunch".

so i was listenin' to Steely Dan's "Citizen" for the first time and reading Naked Lunch where Burroughs mentions a tune called "St Louis Toodleoo."

it's track 7 on CD 2. heh.

Default Re: short, shameful confession

I like Steely Dan too. They have some great songs. That's interesting about the dildo, I didn't know that. Although, I doubt it will come up in a game of Trivial Pursuit.

Have you ever heard the William Burroughs 'thanksgiving day prayer'? A friend sent me the MP3 last week, I thought it was pretty funny. It's a little spicy watch out.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Is the factoid about where the name comes from true? If not, I bet you could successfully spread it on the net anyway because it is awesome.

I mean, we can't talk at all.

'Steeley Dan from Yokohama'... from Naked lunch, squirts warm milk, and is used in one of several sodomy scenes... (which may or may not end in hanging I don't recall...)

good old Burroughs... anybody read the old RE/SEARCH interviews with him... man those things we like bibles to me when I was 14...

the 'thanksgiving prayer' was from 'Dead City Radio' a record he cut with the NBC orchestra... amazing record... anyone ever hear his '7 Souls' disc he made with Material? amazing stuff about the eygptian after life...

...or how about the track he did with Ministry? creepiest fucking thing I've ever heard in my life... (and if I say it's creepier than the other stuff I've heard Burroughs say, then you know it's fucking sick.)

from http://www.steelydan.com/timelinebio.html :

1972: After rehearsing after hours in the unfinished new wing of ABC Records office, the intrepid little band hits the studio and records their first album. The album, entitled "Can't Buy A Thrill", is released under the name "Steely Dan", which has been unceremoniously lifted from William Burroughs' novel, "Naked Lunch". The charter members are: Denny Dias (Guitar), Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (guitar), Jim Hodder (drums) and David Palmer (vocals).

From Naked Lunch, section titled "A.J's Annual Party":

Mary is strapping on a rubber penis. "Steely Dan III from Yokohama," she says, caressing the shaft. Milk spurts across the room.
    "Be sure that milk is pasteurised. Don't go giving me some kinda awful cow disease like anthrax or glanders or aftosa...."
    "When I was a transvestite Liz in Chicago used to work as an exterminator. Make advances to pretty boys for the thrill of being beaten as a man. Later I catch this one kid, overpower him with supersonic judo I learned from an old Lesbian Zen monk. I tie him up, strip off his clothes with a razor and fuck him with Steely Dan I. He is so releived I don't castrate him literal he come all over my bedbug spray."
    "He was torn in two by a bull dike. Most terrific vaginal grip I ever experienced. She could cave in a lead pipe. It was one of her party tricks."
    "And Steely Dan II?"
    "Chewed to bits by a famished candiru in the Upper Baboonsasshole..."

note: up there it says ".. Transvestite Liz in Chicago".. which isn't what it says in the book. originally it only used the first three letters, but when i typed that, for some reason it got wordfiltered to "***".

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    Have you ever heard the William Burroughs 'thanksgiving day prayer'? A friend sent me the MP3 last week, I thought it was pretty funny. It's a little spicy watch out.

yeah, although i am a little ashamed to say the first time i saw it was part of that U2 video thing. a lot of people think Bono wrote it, now.

just like Burroughs recited "The Junky's Christmas" with backing sounds by Nirvana, under the name of (i think) "The Priest, They Called Him", and now there are people who think that Kobain wrote that.

"It's an injustice, it is!"
    - Calimero

'Upper Baboonasshole'

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    yeah, although i am a little ashamed to say the first time i saw it was part of that U2 video thing. a lot of people think Bono wrote it, now.
    ...Bono... Ugh, I'm so sick of him. What's up with those stupid sunglasses he's always wearing. ...what a twat...

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    just like Burroughs recited "The Junky's Christmas" with backing sounds by Nirvana, under the name of (i think) "The Priest, They Called Him", and now there are people who think that Kobain wrote that.
    No way! I gotta hear that! If it's half as funny as the 'thanksgiving prayer' I'm sold! Thanks for the tip.

I've actually got 'Junky's Christmas' with backing music by the Disposable Heros of Hypocarcy...

...figured everybody'd heard that one already...

they do another one that's great 'William S. Burroughs' Advice for Young People' LOL... a classic...

btw. anyone ever read his book 'the adding machine'? it's a book of essays. one of the best things he ever did...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    I've actually got 'Junky's Christmas' with backing music by the Disposable Heros of Hypocarcy...
    Where did you get it?

"Spare Ass Annie and Other Tales" is the name of the album... got it years ago... it should still be around though.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Well I've lost all respect for you....now if you'll excuse me I'll go listen to my Tom Jones albums like a resepctable person.

+ Reply to Thread