+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: I fear the dentist

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default I fear the dentist

I have a toothache and I am going to the dentist tomorrow. But I totally fear and loathe going to the dentist. I've had some real horror show experiences with dentists. My current guy seems nice and gave me a short notice appointment, but I've never had him drill me before, because he generally recommends a crown for any complaint.

Do you all go to the dentist with fear, without fear, or not at all?

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

Default Re: I fear the dentist

my dentist doesnt wear gloves sometimes! hes gross.
    and gives me way too much novocaine. but other than that its not too bad... untill i have to go that is haha i hate the dentist.
    and i need to go real bad :S holes all over mah teeth!

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

They yell at me and make me call them call them... WAIT A minute....

Never mind

The courts told me never to talk about that... Something about a gag order

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

I absolutely can not stand going to the
    dentist whatsoever, ask Nudemuse,
    I'll throw a freakin' fit and pout and
    make every excuse not to go.

I hate the dentist so much that I've
    even resorted to doing at home
    dentistry and would even go as
    far as saying I'd almost rather go
    through another orchiectomy than a
    filling or root canal.

Good luck to you Amelia, I feel your
    pain... really I do. The last time I HAD
    to go, I made it a point to self-medicate
    before leaving the house... so much so
    that while waiting for the first (of seven)
    shots of Novocaine to began to work on me
    that I napped out and had to be woke up for
    the rest of my injections.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    They yell at me and make me call them call them... WAIT A minute....

Never mind

The courts told me never to talk about that... Something about a gag order

I did have an erotic story with an out of body experience during oral surgery appear in Blue Blood #7 and later Best Women's Erotica and Best SM Erotica, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by HempKnight
    I absolutely can not stand going to the
    dentist whatsoever, ask Nudemuse,
    I'll throw a freakin' fit and pout and
    make every excuse not to go.

I hate the dentist so much that I've
    even resorted to doing at home
    dentistry and would even go as
    far as saying I'd almost rather go
    through another orchiectomy than a
    filling or root canal.

Good luck to you Amelia, I feel your
    pain... really I do. The last time I HAD
    to go, I made it a point to self-medicate
    before leaving the house... so much so
    that while waiting for the first (of seven)
    shots of Novocaine to began to work on me
    that I napped out and had to be woke up for
    the rest of my injections.

What did you take? I make them give me gas just for a novacaine injection (or twelve, I process pain killer fast). I would normally also take at least Advil before going, but they specifically told me not to for this particular problem. They said it would make it harder for the dentist to diagnose. I can see the fucking thing, so I doubt this, but . . .

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

yea i am a raging anti-dentite

mine keeps asking me "is it safe?"

my doc said i needed a rootcanal but i talked to a different dentist in the office and she just drilled and filled me i feel fine i got the standard silver fillings my dental plan only covers white fillings on the front teeth

i've been using colgate total since it came out and i still get cavitys

the weird thing is that my teeth seem to want to be symmetrical if i get a cavity on one side the next trip i will have a cavity on the exact same spot on the other side of my mouth

the main problem is that they seem to want to talk to you when you have a mouth full of their equipment and some of the quetions seem kind of personal i wonder if they are working for the feds you know dentla x-rays and stuff

the other problem is the possibility of drowning on your own drool (that little suck straw dont do jack) the nice dentist that did my one filling calls the suction "mr. thirsty"

i think the whole office is on drugs

i can't get an apointment unless i trick them
    on the way out they want to delay me a few weeks before they have an appointment for a filling but if i call in and say when is your next available appointment (without letting them ask who i am)for a filling i can get in within a week

also i really worry about the sanitation people with gloves seem to give you the false sence of clean

i'm glad i dont have debilitating phobias just regular phobias that i can suppress(elevators,tall buildings, germs,crowds,being alone,noisy areas ,total silence,orange cars,needles,the moon,cats,shiny metal,meteors,bees,mosquitos,snakes,clouds,birds,p eople staring at me,ghosts politicians,trains,russians, iranians mexicans)you know the stuff every body is afraid of

Quote Originally Posted by bohoki
    yea i am a raging anti-dentite

mine keeps asking me "is it safe?"

my doc said i needed a rootcanal but i talked to a different dentist in the office and she just drilled and filled me i feel fine i got the standard silver fillings my dental plan only covers white fillings on the front teeth

i've been using colgate total since it came out and i still get cavitys

the weird thing is that my teeth seem to want to be symmetrical if i get a cavity on one side the next trip i will have a cavity on the exact same spot on the other side of my mouth

the main problem is that they seem to want to talk to you when you have a mouth full of their equipment and some of the quetions seem kind of personal i wonder if they are working for the feds you know dentla x-rays and stuff

the other problem is the possibility of drowning on your own drool (that little suck straw dont do jack) the nice dentist that did my one filling calls the suction "mr. thirsty"

i think the whole office is on drugs

i can't get an apointment unless i trick them
    on the way out they want to delay me a few weeks before they have an appointment for a filling but if i call in and say when is your next available appointment (without letting them ask who i am)for a filling i can get in within a week

also i really worry about the sanitation people with gloves seem to give you the false sence of clean

i'm glad i dont have debilitating phobias just regular phobias that i can suppress(elevators,tall buildings, germs,crowds,being alone,noisy areas ,total silence,orange cars,needles,the moon,cats,shiny metal,meteors,bees,mosquitos,snakes,clouds,birds,p eople staring at me,ghosts politicians,trains,russians, iranians mexicans)you know the stuff every body is afraid of

Ugh. No kidding on the straw thing. Maybe some people have less saliva or something. I do drink a lot of water. But, bleah, I always feel like I'm going to strangle on my own spit.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I have thick tooth enamel.

I have only had two very minor cavities in my entire life.

So I never had the same fear of dentists that other people have.

hahaa deathknight... you lucky bastard...
    i would rather get dentures than fillings... just rip em all out. fixin dentures dont hurt.

I did have an erotic story with an out of body experience during oral surgery appear in Blue Blood #7 and later Best Women's Erotica and Best SM Erotica, but . . .
    ooooh oh oh... i wanna read this post? pretty please with sex on top?
    i know i know, erotica section haha...

As a kid my dentist was some sort of ex nazi war criminal. He had this great game he used to play. You have all heard this line before,

"Just hold your hand up if you feel any pain."

Right, but this sick sadistic bastard followed it up with this one,

"Put your hand down, that doesn't hurt."

So yeah, dentist still terrify me. I did a good long stretch without seeing a dentist which lead what would have been a replacement filling into being a root canal. The good news is the root canal was 99% painless and the instant I hinted at pain she stopped and re numbed me. My root canal was less painful than a filling, I hate that dentist.

The lesson I learned from all of this is that if I don't like my dentist I am going to a fucking different one, wich will come up since apparantly my wisdom teeth are growing in wrong.

ugh omg... i had my wisdom teeth out about a year ago... no problems WHATSOEVER...
    i got knocked the hell out when i did it... i dont remember anything except waking up and feeling fine no swelling... really no pain at all, i took a T3 in the morning and one at night before bed, one in between if i needed it... i was all good a week later
    hope it goes good for you too tho!

Kevin's Avatar to thine own self be true
    In the O.C. (but not the hoity-toity parts)

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Do you all go to the dentist with fear, without fear, or not at all?
    Last year marked the first time in over a decade I'd been to see a dentist.

I'd had a really unpleasant experience, and so just fended for myself for that time. Eventually, though, my roommate talked me into having a checkup.

Boy howdy, I'm glad I did.

I didn't have anything too horrendous going on -- the worst of it was a tooth that needed some structural work and some wisdom teeth that had to be pulled (not that they were living up to their name).

But it's been nice to be able to go back every six months (like the D.D.S indoctrination pamphlets say) and have a quick cleaning and checkup, and to not have that lingering worry in the back of my mind.

Angel Slayer's Avatar guardian garroter

i had one dentist who was really cool and gave me nitrous just for check ups. everyone else was insane. one had just gotten out of dental school and would use any reason to try out all of his new toys... and another was hellbent on giving EVERYONE braces, even if they'd already had them.

i hate having my teeth touched, but i go.....

mm braces yes... i had those... for 2 years... got em off and didnt wear my retainer... now my teeth are worse! hahaaa!!
    dont tell my orthodontists, theyll kick my ass...

Ugh! I've had two oral surguries, braces, the works. My teeth LOOK okay, but I have genetically weak enamel, so I am prone to a caviity now and then regardless of how well I take care of my teeth. I've always had problems with novacaine, as I am allergic to narcotics. It makes me feel like shit. And I hate shots. Most dentists I've been to gave me 5 or 6 shots to get me numb, and sometimes that didn't even work. I would spend the rest of the day in bed feeling like shit. So I finally found an old dentist who would fill my tooth with no shots. It sounds insane, but it wasn't nearly as painful as the whole shot/novacaine ordeal. Then he retired. I didn't go to the dentist for about three years, and finally my mom persuaded me to try her dentist. I told him about my dental problems and shot issues. He listened to me, then he tapped me all over on my face, and told me to describe the feeling. As it turns out, the nerves to my mouth are set back further on my jaw than most people. So he can give me one shot in the right place, my whole mouth goes numb, and its over before I know it. I still don't enjoy going, but it isn't nearly as unpleasant as it used to be. I think anyone who enjoys going to the dentist must be one twisted fuck.

Spaceman Spiff's Avatar a boy and his tiger

The teeth scraping is probably the thing I hate most...aside from the whole hands in my mouth thing...but scraping at my teeth is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, accept the chalkboard is inside my mouth and attached to my skeletal structure... *shudders*
    ...and according to this little postcard it appears to be that time again.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

There is a difference between good and bad dentists, that's for sure.

I went to some random dentist place one time, and they were brutal.
    Chunks of gum ripped out, blood everywhere, bleeding for hours
    afterwards, etc... That's when I realized why people hate dentists.
    Some are really good, and no problem, and others are idiots.
    So just keep looking until you find a good one...

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Find yourself something called a "sleep dentist"

You get to take a tiny blue pill just before arriving and about 15 minutes later you are in lala land.

A few hours later you wake up with NO memory of your visit

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

What did you take? I make them give me gas just for a novacaine injection (or twelve, I process pain killer fast). I would normally also take at least Advil before going, but they specifically told me not to for this particular problem. They said it would make it harder for the dentist to diagnose. I can see the fucking thing, so I doubt this, but . . .

Being a firm believer in natural 'medications',
    usually 14 bong rips of sticky icky will set
    me in the right state of mind to not want
    to grab the offending dental tech or whoever
    in scrubs, whites or whatever garb, by the throat
    until they breath no more.

And given my past experiences with anything
    medical related, I'm prone to panic attacks
    as well as night terrors... there's nothing like
    regaining consciousness after a car accident to
    find tubes, wires and a catheter... amongst
    other times of having friends and relatives
    pass away in the hospital... and working as
    an EMT...

Soooo..yeah, I really don't like hospitals,
    doctors or anything of the sort, I try to
    avoid all at all costs like the plague. Not
    to mention hospitals are a breeding ground
    for MRSA, which at this point is rampant,
    which if you've ever had a staph infection..
    it can be hundred times worse and a possible
    lifelong affliction.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

dentists fear me, I wont use any freezing or nothing , you'd be suprised at how carefull they really can be when they khow that you are aware of everything they're doing,

whips and chains are for sissy's
    a real man get's a root canal

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

i kept going back, sometimes three or four times a week. often making appointments under different names. until they told me to stay the hell away from them. so now i photoshop pictures of my teeth, adding plaque, cavities, fractures, etc. and send them via registered mail.

"NORMAL!" - Zim

My current guy seems nice and gave me a short notice appointment, but I've never had him drill me before
    Take that out of context!

I go twice a year, without any real worry associated with the process.

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

I've spent the last year without health insurance. Now I REALLY fear my next trip to the dentist

my grandmother tok me to her friend dentist who is also old as hell.... and very short and weak... she had ordination in her house and she was supoused to take one tooth out... I haven't got any injection before (senil woman?) and when she tryed to put it out she broked it into parts... it tok half an hour of strugle to finaly decide to call her neighbour (big, strong, hairi woman) to help her... she did it in a mather of moment... after torture like that I finaly started thinking (and deciding) for my self and since then I realy hate going to dentist... even more than hempking does
    note: I was 13 years old back then and I can bet that this tooth was enough good to be repaired... not pulled out

When I was new in Berlin, I went to a dentist and found out she was like 70 years old. But what shocked me was, I didn't get my treatment from her, but her mother. I was lucky, it was just a check-up. I never came back after. They reminded me too much of these morbid wrenches from The Witches

Vega's Avatar Junior Member

I don't go. I've had a broken tooth for about 5 years now, I'm terrified to have it fixed. I even started paying for dental insurance thinking it would get me to go. After 2 years of paying, I still haven't gone.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

I've got to get a root canal and a few more fillings...I'm putting it off for a reason. He drugs me up pretty good. But I still fear it.
    Ugh. I'm with ya...

root canal, some people get all fun

IVE SEEN DR GIGGLES! disturbing movie.

My aunt has a dead tooth right in front when she smiles. She's single, I feel bad for her...

Quote Originally Posted by postcoital
    When I was new in Berlin, I went to a dentist and found out she was like 70 years old. But what shocked me was, I didn't get my treatment from her, but her mother. I was lucky, it was just a check-up. I never came back after. They reminded me too much of these morbid wrenches from The Witches
    eh i think i would go back. The older they get the more experince they get. To have one so old would mean they have seen and done about everything many times. Now if both were at the point of being old where their hand shakes i would be scared if you know what im talking about.

The Dentist Movie Series is scary.

:P

Quote Originally Posted by endlosmacht
    eh i think i would go back. The older they get the more experince they get. To have one so old would mean they have seen and done about everything many times. Now if both were at the point of being old where their hand shakes i would be scared if you know what im talking about.
    Actually, her hands did shake quite alot

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

i hate shots, the novocaine is much worse than anything else to me. But I hate shots of any kind, not just my mouth, I had a surgery on my cervix 2 years ago, and I knew it would only take 5 seconds to do what they were going to do, I didnt want a shot in my poonani though, so I told her to do it without the shot, she thought I was crazy, but it wasnt bad at all. Anyhow, so if I could, I'd get fillings without any novocaine. My boyfriend is at the dentist right now getting a root canal and a crown , yuck.

yay for my thousandth post

anyone know if getting fillings without novocaine is less painful than the needles??
    needles = NOT COOL!

DARKGYM's Avatar King of the night

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    anyone know if getting fillings without novocaine is less painful than the needles??
    needles = NOT COOL!
    It depends on how deep the dentist has to drill to get rid of the decay. I've had a minor filling done with no anaesthetic and there was no pain whatsoever. However there was a time when I got a filling done when my dentist had run out of novocaine, that was definately an experience (see the "most painfull moment in your life" thread).

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    needles = NOT COOL!
    you know how when you hands asleep and you pinch it? it feels numb but your still totaly aware of thepinching. thats about all novacaine does and the nice thing is as soon as the drilling's it's over, there is no pain and how long does it take to drill a tooth down to nothing anyway? not only that but freezing costs quite a bit extra, besides it doesn't hurt that much, there are things that hurt a lot more, it only seems that way because your teeth are so close to your brain

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

ick ick, its not the drill that sucks, its the tooth slivers in your mouth :P

I love the eye Dr. though(: Im going tomorrow..i love getting new glasses

+ Reply to Thread