+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: greater being

BloodredProject2402's Avatar Senior Member

Default greater being

What do you people think is the meaning of life and what greater being is out there?

Default Re: greater being

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

none, and none.

"If there's a god in heaven - what's he waiting for?"
    - John Lennon

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

VOLDTA I LOVE YOU!!!
    but what is the QUESTION to the answer of life, the universe and everything?

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    VOLDTA I LOVE YOU!!!
    but what is the QUESTION to the answer of life, the universe and everything?
    th question is
    40+2...geeze get with it

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    Hitch hikers guide good book.but,on a more serious note I myself belive the meaning of life is to love and to understand

come on, you're organic life (most of you). the only purpose any of you have is to multiply and fill the environment with your foul offspring. that's what every other organism on the planet is doing, and there's no point in pretneding you have a higher or more noble calling.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

and i'd say that's a stretch. there's nothing inherrantly fullfilling about reproducing. I think it's because all organisms aware that thier existance is what we define as living. since they have no clue what it means to not be alive (we can define it, but we can't really comprehend something that's outside of any experience), they try to hold onto being alive as much as possible, not because they rationalize that it's better then not being alive, but because they don't know anything else. reproducing is just the best way to ensure that at least some of them goes on existing in the same way (even if it's just a single cell) and possessing a conscious quality of life.

not to be a downer, but don't look for a meaning written in the stars, cuz you'll find none, unless you want to dillute yourself with cosy fantasies, and they won't get you anywhere but to devalue the only true meaning that there is to find. make you own meaning. whatever you do in your life, do something that you feel is worthy of spending 5 minutes, 50 years, doing, cuz once it's over, then that's it.

Live like a suicide cause any second could be your last. but, also live so you can take pride in yourself and your accomplishments.

interesting prepositions

Yeah, I have to agree with Morning Glory.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I want to kill god therefore he must exist....I might be wrong, I might be right, but that thought keeps me going every day

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I believe there is a higher being (or beings) watching over us. I believe in the proposition that humans are Simian/Alien Hybrids, created as an experiment to see what would happen. They are watching us, and have been for eons, to see if we can fight out "animal instincts" and realise our full potential.

Hasn't anyone else noticed that the primate who's DNA is closest to human is Chimpanzee, an ape that is covered in hair, yet humans have little in the way of body hair? They are still looking for the "Missing Link" between Humans and Apes. Maybe they can't find it, because the "Creators" took it away with them?

Angel Slayer's Avatar guardian garroter

ooohhhh boy do i ever wish satan was real... but no... "ve believe in nuzzing!" as the dudes from big labowski so eloquently put it. i'm a pretty staunch atheist. we're all just a coincidence.

oh course I believe in a greater being....

...and her name is Scar 13.

I don't believe in a "God", but I believe in a lot of occult/pagan stuff. More specifically things like Numerology, Pagan symbology, tarot, rune symbols, chakra, ***, magic and astrology. I used to be agnostic but I have seen some interesting things and met some interesting people that changed my mind. I don't know what's 'out there' but I most certainly believe in something. I'm sceptical, yet I just can't deny some of the things I've seen and heard.

I have a question for those of you who are totally athiest. How do you explain psychics or Ouija boards?

Mother Superior

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    I don't believe in a "God", but I believe in a lot of occult/pagan stuff. More specifically things like Numerology, Pagan symbology, tarot, rune symbols, chakra, ***, magic and astrology. I used to be agnostic but I have seen some interesting things and met some interesting people that changed my mind. I don't know what's 'out there' but I most certainly believe in something. I'm sceptical, yet I just can't deny some of the things I've seen and heard.

I have a question for those of you who are totally athiest. How do you explain psychics or Ouija boards?
    I've witnessed some pretty amazing sessions with Quija boards. It's been said the persons using them are making them move, I disagree in most cases. In one investigation we were using the corner of a long dresser in an apparently haunted house. I was in a chair and so was my partner, in no time the board was moving rather erratically off the dresser, and onto the side, moving continiously back and forth. We could not have done that. I have used them for the past 20 years , there are times when the energy is there, and other's when it is completely still. If we were really the ones making the boards move, it should move every time it is used.

I was chatting with a friend of mine last night about religion (he's a big Bertand Russel fan), and he sent me this article today. I found it interesting.

From Sploid
    America hates atheists

At least 9 million of them live in the United States, mostly trying to avoid the wrath of neighbors, colleagues and relatives.

But they do not pray for help, for they are America's atheists - the most hated people in the country

In a new study by University of Minnesota sociologists, more than 2,000 people were asked which of their fellow citizens lacked the proper "vision of American society."

More than blacks or gays or immigrants or lesbians or even Muslims, atheists are viewed as the least American, according to the survey. And those without a god are the last people most folks would want their children to marry.

"Atheists, who account for about 3% of the U.S. population, offer a glaring exception to the rule of increasing social tolerance over the last 30 years," says Penny Edgell, the study's lead researcher.

Most studies combine atheists and agnostics for a total of 12%, meaning some 36 million Americans - more than one in 10 - either don't believe in a god or couldn't care less about the whole subject. A survey of 50,000 adults in 2001 showed that 14% of Americans "identify with no religion," nearly doubling from just 8% in 1990.

At this rate, by the year 2030 Christians and other religious people will be a minority and the last American god-worshippers will be buried by 2050 ... just 44 years from today!

But for the time being, atheists are weak in number and openly despised.

Atheists don't demand anything, they don't preach or riot, they have no real organization and they are completely unelectable. Nonetheless, Americans don't trust them.

It seems most Americans believe that diversity is fine, as long as every one shares a common "core" of values that make them trustworthy, and in America, that "core" has historically been religious, says Edgell.

Not surprisingly, people who haven't had much of a life - the majority of Americans - were the most likely to fear atheists.

But those who live on the coasts, have a decent education and know a wide variety of people were the ones who didn't stay up nights worrying about the godless.

America's atheists are considered so loathsome that no other news outlet could be bothered to report the survey's findings.

It's still "A-OK" to hate an atheist!

man, yall come up with some completely dofferent things....as for me in with toe cutter, i like numerology and tarot cards even though i dont really use them any more......

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    More specifically things like Numerology, Pagan symbology, tarot, rune symbols, chakra, ***, magic and astrology.

ooh, tell me more about this ***! sounds cool.

the almost limitless ability of humans to deceive themselves. most, if not all psychics are very sharp readers of human expression and if you analyse their act you can see them hunting about for an answer and homing in on it when they see their chump's face light up. "Uncle? no.. Aunt? yes... didn't like her? yes."

not one of them - Ouija board players included - has ever come up with anything that couldn't be explained as previous knowledge, sharp guessing or deluded wishful thinking.

ps Atheist. not athiest.

"If you don't believe in God, you can't believe in heaven.
    And if you don't believe in heaven, you can't believe that
    some people will ROT IN HELL."
    - Rod Quantock

true, but then again arent there religions where only hell is involved in anything??

can't think of any faith, offhand, that doesn't promise some kind of reward in the afterlife. what a great deal - selling people shit that doesn't exist, and which they can't collect until after they're dead.

lol, ppl (like you said) decieve themselves into thinking that there is a purpose for them and they need that...makes them feel "special" and that they count for something.....childish

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    can't think of any faith, offhand, that doesn't promise some kind of reward in the afterlife. what a great deal - selling people shit that doesn't exist, and which they can't collect until after they're dead.
    haha that reminds me of Camus: “I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Atheism strikes me as folly, tho. I am unwilling to arrogate omniscience to human reason.

OEC

spacegirl's Avatar Junior Member

I believe in God and Goddess... I believe in reincarnation, I don't think anyone's spirit actually dies. Matter cannot be created or destroyed.
    It just is. I think we just are...and the purpose of life is to keep reincarnating, so you keep living until you learn everything there is to know. Or something.

really....out of all the religions out there.....whos to say theirs is right......

there is that infamous Pascal's wager, attributed (i think) to French deep-thinker Blaise Pascal.

even if the chance of eternal happiness in heaven is less than one in a million billion squicktillion.. when multiplied by an infinity's worth of reward, it's worth going after.

the hard part is working out what the Creator wants you to do in order to win that reward. depending on who you believe you're supposed to:
    • Not Use Condoms
    • Not Eat Pork
    • Rest on Sunday
    • Give All Your Money To L.Ron Hubbard
    • Rest on Saturday
    • Not Eat Hotdog Buns on Friday (Discordian)
    • Kill The Infidel
    • Send $30 to "Bob"

and they ALL claim to be the One True Faith.

Quote Originally Posted by spacegirl
    I believe in God and Goddess... I believe in reincarnation, I don't think anyone's spirit actually dies. Matter cannot be created or destroyed.
    It just is. I think we just are...and the purpose of life is to keep reincarnating, so you keep living until you learn everything there is to know. Or something.
    how do you feel about black holes?

Quote Originally Posted by spacegirl
    Strangely enough, this is closer to True Christianity than the Modern Church. Up until the 5th Century, Christians believed in ReIncarnation, then the Vatican (which was one of the largest land owners in the world, and thus one of the largest, if not the largest, employer in the world) decided they needed a way of keeping the workforce in line. So, they came up with
    "If you're good in this life and do what the Church says is good, when you die you will go and live in a beautiful place with the Lord for all Eternity. But if you are bad and don't follow the Word of God, you will be cast down into the Pit, where you will suffer at the hands of vile creatures until the end of time!"
    Thus, all the peons and peasants wanted to go to the nice pretty place where nice things happened to them, so they worked hard, didn't question the orders they were given by their Lords and so it has been until this day...

so bassicly what you're saying is that the religion started because they needed a way to piss on the little man without looking bad and still getting them to do what they want them to do....?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodredProject2402
    so bassicly what you're saying is that the religion started because they needed a way to piss on the little man without looking bad and still getting them to do what they want them to do....?
    On a nutshell, that just about sums up what I was saying...

man, thats a lot of people that are mislead.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodredProject2402
    What do you people think is the meaning of life and what greater being is out there?
    does there have to be a meaning of life, other than to do it? maybe it's only a symptom of a degenerate society people have the time to wonder about it.

on the other hand, there are greater beings. lots of them. surely every prophet/wise man etc. can't have been bullshitting.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    ooh, tell me more about this ***! sounds cool.

not one of them - Ouija board players included - has ever come up with anything that couldn't be explained as previous knowledge, sharp guessing or deluded wishful thinking.
    must disagree with this one ... my uncle was told he would go blind two weeks before he did go blind. AND he was a catholic who didn't believe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by scaramanga
    does there have to be a meaning of life, other than to do it? maybe it's only a symptom of a degenerate society people have the time to wonder about it.

on the other hand, there are greater beings. lots of them. surely every prophet/wise man etc. can't have been bullshitting.
    but didnt you read what black spiral dancer had to say? about there just being a bunch of assholes getting people to do what they want? maybe that same fundamental is true with every religion that is written in history and some are just harder to see than others...

maaan, i remember when all 'Bob' wanted was $20.

it used to be about the Slack, man.

but Stang's changed.

I who am rejected from even getting employment in this society because of my unique appearance actually prays to Jesus in the name of God, still waiting for my two most urgent requests of survival and quality of life and desires to be given to me. I had a tubal ligation so I won't be reproducing. I I never wanted children, I only want a speacial man and a income. Those are the two things I pray for. I don't know and one does know the meaning of life or what higher power there is. I am an astrologer and completely know that is real. But astrology will not give you those big answers you seek, it will tell you what you are dealing with, who you are compatible with and your good or bad days. The question the thread starter asks can not really be answered by anyone on earth, it can only be guessed at.

+ Reply to Thread